Ships Nostalgia banner

Vosges and Vendee

19K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Chris Meadows 
#1 ·
Would anybody have a picture of the Vouge and Vendee in there P&O colours.A friend of mine has them in other colours but not P&O.
many thanks.

#7 ·
Hi Christopher just noticed the spelling.

Single Ship Report for "VOSGES"
IDNo: 7204411 Year: 1972
Name: VOSGES Launch Date: 1.2.72
Type: Cargo ship (ref) Date of completion: 9.11.72
Flag: GBR Keel:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tons: 6088 Link: 1496
DWT: 6606 Yard No: 45
Length overall: 132.3 Ship Design:
LPP: 122.6 Country of build:
Beam: 19.5 Builder: Swan Hunter
Material of build: Location of yard: South Shields
Number of
screws/Mchy/
Speed(kn): 1D-18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Owner as Completed:
Naval or paramilitary marking :
A: *
End: 2004

Subsequent History:
[1980 Lg 148.3/137.9m, 9207gt/8026dw] - 75 VOSGES - 86 GALIA CARMEL - 96 CARMEL EXOTIC

Disposal Data:
BU Alang 7.5.04

#10 ·
Agree they were splendid ships. Along with Charles Prescott and Arthur Sugden (both ex-Moss Hutcheson), I shared command of both between 1978 and 1982, while on the AGREXCO charter, Ashdod/Marseilles in winter (avacado season).Chief Officers included Les Hesketh (ex-Moss Hutcheson), the late Doug Perry (ex-P&O), Peter Hillman (ex-BI) with Chief Engineers, Colin Knill,(ex-BI), Noel Pickering (ex-BI) and Don Belton (ex-Hain) among others. Calcutta BI GP crew until 1980 thereafter UK-engaged.

#13 ·
Tom,

As previous posts, I was on the maiden voyage of Zira (Vosges), and thence Vendee on and off for about 18 months in all. I too had the pleasure of sailing with Arthur Sugden, Chalres Prescott, yourself, Les Hesketh, Doug Perry, Colin Knill, Don (Gentlemen) Belton and Bob Scott. They were splendid ships on a splendid run and powered by a 6 cylinder J type Doxford - for good measure.

Salams.

#11 ·
Stood by both when laid up in Vigo, 76/77. At anchor for a couple of months in the bay, very pleasant.Sailed on Vendee to Cadiz for drydockng before commencing Ashdod to Marseilles shuttle. Was on her when she was almost lost in the Bonifacio Straits. Remember going to read the draft at the port of refuge, F 40ft plus A 19'6" ! Wish I had some pictures.

regards
Dave

#14 ·
Sailed on both vessels - Vosges in 1979 with Tom Kelso and Vendee in 1985 with Charlie Prescott and that wonderful Chief K.C. Smith....who thought the Chiefs job and Masters job had been combined, together with full power over the R/O......Charlie was a Gentleman, pith the same couldn't be said about the Chief who incidently had a black-eye after one of the motormen went for him. Happy days, although that trip on the Vendee was a real bummer.

#17 ·
Would any members be able to give me a lead to information regarding the ships which AGREXCO(or possible Offer?) commissioned to supercede the VOSGES and VENDEE? I remember seeing a plan of proposed replacements in a shipping magazine about ten years or so ago. Although half again as large, they were going to incorporate many of the unique cargo handling arrangements of their predecessors.

Has anyone any idea how this once highly organised trade involving the V's for the Ashdod/Marseilles leg is now faring? One seldom sees the the once obiquitous Carmel brand in our supermarkets nowadays.

Tom

#18 ·
sailed on the Vendee on the Marseille/ Ashdod run ,remember every saturday morning Messina straits. Barry Jewson. Tudor the 1st engineer. also sailed on Strathmeigle august 80-september 81 ,8 wives onboard great time on the coast parties every port. Christmas in Singapore. 6 weeks in peirmont Sydney during the seamans strike, Colin and Kim the cadets, Jenny and Nick barrat. Tony and Sue Emberly -Ansell, .football in Fremantle against the russians. great memories.
Peter scott

#19 ·
did the first trip on the vosges when british crew first replaced the indians on

the ashdod marseille run, remember kelso the skipper had his wife with him and the mate doug parry , sugden was also the skipper , good easy ships
plenty overtime
if i remember rightly about 12 of us replaced about 32 indians

i think the ships were replaced one of the replacements is carmel ecofresh

#24 ·
During the Eighty’s I sailed with a Captain on the P&O BSD “Gazana”, Captain Mike Hill from Durham.
He sailed on the on the “Vendee” and the “Vosges”, always talking about them, because of there cargo handling equipment.
Anybody else, who also sailed with Captain Mike Hill.

John.

#28 ·
Have been unable to download Ian Cameron's lead to VOSGES/VENDEE pics in P&O livery. Quite surprised, and wonder whether they actually ever "sported" P&O GCD livery on original delivery passage from Crusader charter (and funnels) to Israel, AGREXCO (Carmel livery) charter when re-named. If this was the case, this must have been the very small window, when they were ever decked in P & O livery.

Can anyone plse elucidate?

Tom

#29 ·
Tom,

I have various pics of both V's and when they were Z's but not in P & O livery. Attached is a pic of the Zira on her maiden voyage - she was in Crusader livery at that time. Ziada I believe was the last ship to be in BI livery when she went on tials. Zira was in Crusader livery on trials, thence to Liverpool before departure to NZ - very happy days.

Attachments