Ships Nostalgia banner

Cote d'Albatre

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  rlangridge 
#1 ·
At the risk of getting shot down in flames, isn't 30+ photos in a couple of days of a (pug ugly) ferry like the Cote d'Albatre over-doing it a bit? I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but even to the beholders you can have too much of a good thing. Personally, I would prefer to see the photos spread out over a month or so. Or am I doing a Victor Meldrew?
Answers on a postcard.........

#3 ·
Flaming isn't the done thing, but.... maybe a gentle, friendly sort of singe is in order.

1) Yes, it's our first new ferry in 33 years. It's a major event for the towns of Dieppe and Newhaven, since both, especially Dieppe, depend on the ferry link so much. So, I think we're more than entitled to celebrate the fact with a good few pix. They do form a sequence, ie they're not all the same shot. Some have been from Dieppe as well as Newhaven. There are members who have PM'd me asking for the ship's debut to be covered here. They include ex-Newhaveners, ex ferry people amongst others. I've also resisted the temptation to post every shot taken - around 100 at the last count. That would be over the top, and would justifiably invite criticism.

2) No-one is actually forced to look at any photos they don't want to on here. There are plenty of photos of no interest to me personally but I don't mind them being there! I just look at those I want to, same as most members, I guess.

3) The last few pix from me, of her first arrival on service this evening, are just about to be posted. That's it, I'm now done. If people have enjoyed looking at these pix, great, that was the idea. If not, no harm's been done.

4) You know, maybe, just maybe, there's a small hint of Victor in that post of yours somewhere. LOL!

Andy G

PS. Pug Ugly? You're entitled to that opinion, of course, but she's better than some modern ships and a damn sight better than other ferries I could mention!

#8 ·
meechingman said:
Flaming isn't the done thing, but.... maybe a gentle, friendly sort of singe is in order.

1) Yes, it's our first new ferry in 33 years. It's a major event for the towns of Dieppe and Newhaven, since both, especially Dieppe, depend on the ferry link so much. So, I think we're more than entitled to celebrate the fact with a good few pix. They do form a sequence, ie they're not all the same shot. Some have been from Dieppe as well as Newhaven. There are members who have PM'd me asking for the ship's debut to be covered here. They include ex-Newhaveners, ex ferry people amongst others. I've also resisted the temptation to post every shot taken - around 100 at the last count. That would be over the top, and would justifiably invite criticism.

2) No-one is actually forced to look at any photos they don't want to on here. There are plenty of photos of no interest to me personally but I don't mind them being there! I just look at those I want to, same as most members, I guess.

3) The last few pix from me, of her first arrival on service this evening, are just about to be posted. That's it, I'm now done. If people have enjoyed looking at these pix, great, that was the idea. If not, no harm's been done.

4) You know, maybe, just maybe, there's a small hint of Victor in that post of yours somewhere. LOL!

Andy G

PS. Pug Ugly? You're entitled to that opinion, of course, but she's better than some modern ships and a damn sight better than other ferries I could mention!
Andrew,
Please ignore John's remarks, as a newcomer to "shipsnostalgia" living in Seaford,what a wonderful experience, enhanced by your contribution, a BRAND NEW ferry with the benefit of your superb photos, one including the lifeboat with my colleague Nick (navigator) aboard brilliant, surpassed possibly by the sunset shot perfect.
Cote D'albatre, beautiful, elegant, lines just right. I have taken many photos at Newhaven,over the years cargo and ferry. Last saw dear old Meeching moored at Falmouth a couple of years ago - unmistakable, also dear old Senlac in Pireaus in a different guise, still looking very proud.
I replied earlier but must have pushed the wrong buttons and it disappeared into cyberspace.
Regards,
Mac.

#9 ·
Senlac

Senlac is still going strong, and her new livery puts her almost back the way she was. Better than all that white!

Meeching is still about on the Medway, was looking rough but maybe things will look up for the old girl.

Thanks for the kind comments on the photos. I'll be supplying most of the whole set in an album to Newhaven Museum in the next couple of weeks when I get the time to print them all out! Actually might just go to the shop for a heap of 8x6's instead.

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.