Ships Nostalgia banner

Ship on Ice Road Truckers

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Captain Anstey 
#1 ·
Can anyone identify the vessel icebound in Ice Road Truckers TV series on History Channel?
It looks like an old survey vessel.
She has red hull and white superstructure.
Thanks

#3 ·
Greetings lochluichart, I believe its a tug boat and its on the Meckenzie River. I put a thread request on IRT forum so may find the name soon.
by going to "History.com/iceroadtruckers" you can find out all you ever wanted to know about IRT and were afraid to ask. This is a great site with lots of video and info. Regards Pat.

#7 ·
I noticed that the vessel appears on the Inuvik town web-site onchored on the Mackenzie River.
I have e-mailed the mayors office requesting as much info as they can provide, name, use and how it is taken in and out of the river when ice forms and thaws.
Hopefully the lack of tourists at this time of the year will give them enough free time to answer.
Bob

#11 ·
I was pretty sure that she was an ex-seismic vessel from the stern views.
I previously worked for GSI,(Geophysical Services Inc) who at one time owned the Mariner. I never saw her as she was always in Canada and was taken out of the water at the end of the season. The original GSI was taken over by Halliburton in mid 80's. company was reborn in 1992 and this link is to company website www.geophysicalservice.com

Thanks to all contributors.

#12 ·
I served two summers on the GSI Mariner as a part of the seismic crew in the "doghouse" operating the electronics equipment (DFS V). We did seismic surveys on the Beaufort Sea. I saw her on the show, Iceroad Truckers, and couldn't believe it! She was very small and had a draft of only 5 feet. Our home port was normally Tuk during operations, and then at the end of the season I was told they took her up towards Inuvik. I was never on the start crew or the end of the season crew. Working on the Beaufort was fantastic; at times the sea would be as calm as a bathtub making a sunset or rise even more spectacular.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.