Ships Nostalgia banner

Submarine Troubles in OZ

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  lakercapt 
#1 ·
Front page story from today's "Weekend Australian":
Submarine 20 seconds from death
Cameron Stewart 23jul05
AN Australian submarine carrying 55 sailors was seconds from sinking to the bottom of the
Indian Ocean following a catastrophic on-board flood off the coast of Perth. The near-tragedy has forced the navy to permanently reduce the diving depth of its fleet of six Collins-class submarines for safety reasons - a move that has weakened their military capability.

For complete article from today’s “Weekend Australian” click on the following: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,16019390,00.html

#2 ·
Sounds pretty scary. AB Bunting must be one of those "Bosun's Whistle-Blowers". OK.... I know it's a pipe.

The Collins Class submarines were originally so noisy, all the whales in the southern hemisphere swam around with sardines in their ears. Apparantly, that problem has been fixed now.

John T.

#4 ·
Now those boys, & girls, I now understand, are people I really take my hat off to, no matter what nationality.

To go down in one of those things takes a lot of courage. This incident proves just how dangerous submarining still is, and how dependant you are on the research, testing and building skills put into the building and maintainance of such a vessel.

I have a very deep admiration for all who not only go out to sea in such vessels but go under it as well.

Chris.

#9 ·
I have yet to step foot on board a submarine and looking forward to doing so very soon on a visit to Sydney. My wife isn't so sure - she thinks she may find it a bit claustrophobic.
I agree with all the above - it must take a special type of person to go to sea in a submarine.

#10 ·
That sub in Holbrook is something. I was driving into the town one morning with my son, we were doing a pleasure trip to Canberra, and I see a submarine just off the high street, fine to port she was. ****, that must have been good beer last night I thought, but no, it is real. How the hell they got it there, let alone why they wanted it there in the first place, defeats me. But that's Australia for you mate, Texas of the antipodes.

#15 ·
Yes I know but heavily modified to Australian requirements, would have been better to go with one of their standard designs I think rather than make the number of changes they did. And thats to say nothing of the Oz designed control and battle systems that finally had to replaced by Raytheon systems.

#18 ·
There used to be a WWII submarine docked in Philadelphia next to a Spanish American war era warship.
Went on board for a visit and could not imagine people confined for months on it and being sane at the end of the trip.
Something like engineers with that infamous Ruston engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.