Ships Nostalgia banner

Were you there. 1960/62

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  david.hopcroft 
#1 ·
I have been looking through the very comprehensive list of ships.But unable to find the " Dame Caroline Haslette " I was AB she was a collier, converted to a cable layer.Two holds number one held re-enforced cable,number two held what was called a biscuit tin ( Smile ) which in fact was an accommodation facility lowered into number two hold to house the A.E.I and B.I. C. C. electricians and the divers.In charge of the operation was a Captain Rowton ( not sure if that is spelt correctly.He was not Captain of the vessel, I do not remember his name. Anyway the purpose of the job was to repair a cable that links England to France.Which had been damaged when an anchored ship lifted her anchor and caused the damage ( honest sir it was,nt me ). Out of interest ,this Captain Rowton laid an oil line between England and France during the war.( so I am told. ) Bloody hell what a long winded way to find out if any of you guys were there at the time,plus of course if anybody has a photo of the " Dame ". I have had my say for the day. Thanks and good day. John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.