Ships Nostalgia banner

Holland America Newbuilding.

10K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  John Rogers 
#1 ·
Shipmates,
I don't know this bit of info will be regarded, but here goes, (especially for John R and Willem.)
From Seatrade...The new 4088 pax newbuild from Fincantieri is to be named...."EURODAM"!!
Excuse me.*@#$*&+@#!!!
Sorry, but that seems to be the thin edge of the wedge opening up nearly 200 years of tradition.
Any comments?

David D.(Cloud)

#2 ·
Just an explanation how they got that name.

The management has written out a contest among the employees of HAL, Windstar, Westmark Hotels and Gray Line for a name of the new ship.

There were only two demands to that name.
1. It must end on 'dam'.
2. It should be easily be pronounced by English speaking people.

EURODAM seems to be the winning name.

Ending on 'dam' is understandable, as that is a tradition for passengersships with HAL.
I also can understand why it should be pronounceable easily by English speaking people, as they do have problems with the Dutch names.
Just listen how they pronounce 'Zuiderdam' (==D)

On other forums there are quite heavy discussions and some of the posters (very funny, mostly Americans), came with some ridiculous names like Dollardam, Poundam, etc.

The same people were complaining about the difficulty in pronouncing Zuiderdam when that ship came into service.
In fact, they are complaining about every new name within any cruisecompany.

The new ship EURODAM will have (like all other HAL ships) six paintings by Captain Stephen J. Card. One of course of the EURODAM and the other are five of his favourites.
One of them will be the DIEMERDYK at her last scheduled liner call in Plymouth in October 1963.

I think we get used to this new name within a short time.

#7 ·
Caesar001, saw your short BIO about being a active HA cruiser,I am also a cruiser on HA, I have already signed up for my 4th voyage, going to OZ and NZ in Feb 2008, also, will be leaving on the 19th for the Meddy cruise on the Westerdam. In my opinion you cant beat them for service. I have cruised with the Norwegian Line and it was very good, but I prefer HA. (I'm spending my kids inheritance.)
John.

#10 ·
Did the Partial canal and Aruba on the Zaamdam,Alaska on the Zuiderdam,off to the Meddy on the Westerdam,and booked for OZ and NZ on the Statendam. Its a toss up if I have enough money left,run out of years, or run out of HA ships before I reach the point of not being able to do anything.
John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.