Ships Nostalgia banner

Port New Plymouth

25K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  AllisterSpeirs 
#1 ·
One of the fine big cargo liners of this company photographed in Glasgow/s King George V Dock in 1978.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Another good trip.

Sailed on her a few times. Went on the first trip after she has sustained a huge gash in her bows at Panama. Spent the start of the trip in Wilton Feijenoord in Schiedam being repaired!

#11 ·
A cadet played the bugle every morning? Sort of correct - the Master (Capt. Peter Pedrick) was the Port Line commodore at the time and was renowned throughout the fleet for his love of "breaking out flags" at 0800hrs to the sound of the bugle. The playing of the bugle was a recording over a loud speaker system!! I can remember being in Hobart on "Port Victor" together with "Port
New Plymouth" and "Port Vindex" - in such a small port, all three ships "broke out" their flags on cue from the "Port New Plymouth"!! You wouldn't see or hear the like today!

-----------
Mike.

#25 ·
Bubbles - is it you who's left this post ! ? Remember me - Dave Allan ? ! How are you doin after all these years - I heard that you live in Timaru ? I'm still living in Southampton area. Have you heard from Clem in recent times ? Be good to hear from you mate.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.