Ships Nostalgia banner

HMS Foylebank

23K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  Anna-Lisa Rovak RCN 
#1 ·
I have been writing a short story about the demise of HMS Foylebank in Portland Harbour in 1940, and Foylebanks Leading Seaman, Jack Foreman Mantle, as part of the Island Voices writing workshops (part of "Artsreach" UK) If anyone would like a copy I will be happy to Post it to you by E-Mail. I have researched the events of that day, but would also welcome anyone's information, or stories of relatives who served on her. Thanks...Andy

#2 ·
Hi Strawberry
The ex-Missioner in Charge of 'Aggie Westons' Portland chatting again. I am sure you that you are very aware of this but Jack Mantle's grave is in the old RN cemetery on Portland.
There was also some paintings and other items on display in the RN Wardroom and I wonder what happened to them when they closed the base down ?
Regards
Peter4447

#3 ·
Hi Peter, There is a painting In the old Fleet club, which is now the Brittania Passenger terminal, I see on occasions, and I have visited Jack's Grave, along with a few more of the crew's Gravestones. There is a living Crew member who lives near Dorchester called Ernie, I was thinking about asking him for a chat.

#6 ·
Hi Andy,
Delighted to find this site as my father was on Foylebank when it was attacked on 4th July 1940. He survived and went on to join the RAF but that is another story. I attach a page from his scrap book which will interest you and I would love a copy of your book please.

Regards,

Colin

#8 ·
Strawberry,
Would also like a copy please. My uncle was a survivor from Foylebank and was a member of the Foylebank Association until his death. Have no interesting stories but do have a couple of photo's circa 1990 of Foylebank reunion and the 1986 reunion booklet.
yours aye
SmudgeMJ(==D)

#9 ·
Hi Andy
You have probably finished your history by now but when I attended the Loch Class Reunion as their Chaplain a few weeks ago, I was very kindly given a copy of published biography by ex-CPO Ron Walsh (the book's author) entitled 'In the Company of Heroes'. Ron was actually serving in the 'Foylebank, when she was lost and the book contains a full chapter of his experiences on that fateful day.
Ron is still happily active, albeit very elderly, so would you like me to arrange for you to contact him?
Regards
Peter

#10 ·
H.M.S. Foylebank

Hello,

I recently read Ron Walsh's account of his time on Foylebank on the BBC's People's War site. I was intrigued when I read of his experiences with the ship's Master At Arms. My Grandfather was one of the unlucky ones on the ship and I had always understood that his rank was MAA but I am not sure whether this was his exact rank at the time of his death. I would be interested if someone could confirm his name so I can determine whether it was him. I remember visiting the Foylebank reunion as a young boy a couple of times in the 80s with my parents and Grandmother. I was sadly too young to appreciate the event at the time.

I would appreciate any info you can offer.

Regards

Steve Lock

#11 ·
I am intrested in this particular ship due to my late father who was a member of the crew according to his record he joined it on the 30th may 1940 and left it when it was sunk on the 4 th july.He was obviously very lucky having read the accounts of the attack on the ship, any information I can get in relation to him or the ship would be appreciated.

Stephen Johnson

#12 ·
My Dad Ginger Reynolds goes every year to the site where the Foylebank sank and lays a wreath, we then claim the wreath from the sea and take it to the RN cemetary in Portland. We have just arrived back after laying the wreath yesterday the 5th July. Dad was a gunner on the Foylebank and was on her when she sank. He is a very spritely 90 and attended the Foylebank reunions for very many years until they closed HMS Osprey, where they held the reunioin. They then moved to Portland Heights, but as the years have passed the survivors decided to call it a day BUT Dad decided no until he could not go anymore he would lay the wreath at the site of the Foylebank. Yesterday was an emotional day for him as it is every 4th of July. I have only just found this site and will show it to dad he will be so happy that others remember the Foylebank.

#13 ·
Hi Andy.

I would be very interested to receive a copy, please.

My late father, John 'Jack' Stacey was a member of the crew and was wounded during the attack. On 5th July the Captain visited the hospital ward where some of the Foylebank survivors were being treated and asked if anyone knew Jack Mantle. My Dad replied that Mantle had been his Gun Captain whereupon he was taken by stretcher to the mortuary where he identified his body.

He attended the early re-unions up until his death in 1981. I have several photographs of the ship - before and immediately after the attack - and Luftwaffe aerial intelligence photographs - also a copy of the inaccurate Victor comic account. If anyone is interested I would be happy to e-mail copies.

Kind regards

Rob

#15 ·
Years ago I knew a man in Brighton,can't remember his name,he became a wholesale greengrocer..
He always went to a memorial service at Portland,I being in Bank Line kept him up to date with anything from the company magazine.I also knew his daughter.
But this was about 40 years ago!
I would like to know more about it.
Regards,
Ben Masey

#17 ·
I don't know if anyone has seen the grave of "Jack mantle" at the RN cemetery at Portland so find it attached below. If anyone knows anybody from HMS Foylebank that is buried at the cemetry I would be pleased to take a picture of the headstone for You.

Attachments

#41 ·
I visited Portland Naval Cemetery a couple of years ago to pay my respects to my uncle Ord/Sea Albert T Whitman who died in the action.
I found it extremely odd that out of over a hundred killed on board that there are only I think; eight graves and most unnamed. Where were all of the others buried?

#35 ·
Hi there, The attack started on or around 0840 that morning. It was a sunny morning with Light Airs. Other vessels were attacked also, as well as AA battery's. Not sure about the Borstal being bombed at that time, however the Verne Citadel (Now a Prison) was attacked. Hope this helps. Andy

#19 ·
Foylebank

Hello all

I just thought I'd make myself known as my Grandad was unfortunately killed when the Foylebank went down that day. His name was Thomas Coward who was originally from Heysham Lancashire. Apologies for the delayed posting as I’ve only just stumbled across this website.

Colin

#20 ·
Foylebank

Hi Andy,

I have just come upon this site and would be interested in a copy of your article.

My grandfather Frederick James Palmer had just finished loading ammunition,from his boat, on to the Foyle bank when it was bombed. He took the first 8 injured from the ship to shore where he said that he had to go an search for some one to help him get the injured off, before returning to get more survivors.

My grandfather was coxswain of the Weymouth Life boat until 1962. He died in 1985.

All the best

Mike

#24 ·
hi my great uncles name was oswold burns (bob) and i met your father a few times , at portland , and also at my g/uncles golden wedding do. he died some years ago but still remember listerning to all the stories of the foylebank and other ships he was on . funny i seem to remember your father ginger had no hair ? look forward to hering from you

#27 ·
Last Foylebank Survivor Dies

My father, Ernest Pettiford, believed to be the LAST surviving crew member of HMS Foylebank, and who was burned in the 4th July attack on the ship by Stukas in Portland Harbor, died on 7th January 2012, at age of 97. Cremation is in Weymouth on Thursday, 19th January 2012 at 1045 hrs.

#29 ·
Hi Dave,
Might be better if you send him a Private Message.

#30 ·
HMS foylebank

Hi Tony
I will try a private message thanks for your response.
Don't know if l should start a fresh thread or not but in the book l was reading that talked about the attack on Portland and saw the sinking of HMS Foylebank it says that other craft were damaged and sunk does anyone know the names and outcome of this action.
My interest is the Battle of Britain period all aspects land ,sea and air
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.