retractable thruster - Ships Nostalgia
12:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

retractable thruster

Old 25th February 2012, 08:36
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 2012 - Present

retractable thruster

I working on a project which need a retractable thruster for vessel. Besides just looking at the technical specification provided by owner, what should i looking for in order to choose a suitable thruster for the vessel? How to encounter the problems by just looking at the engineering drawing?
Old 26th February 2012, 05:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkt87 View Post
I working on a project which need a retractable thruster for vessel. Besides just looking at the technical specification provided by owner, what should i looking for in order to choose a suitable thruster for the vessel? How to encounter the problems by just looking at the engineering drawing?
Don't take any manufacturers word for their products capabilities, get them to give you live references to customers who are already using the product. Also check to see if the units are Class approved and better still to MIL Spec and what is the warranty and availability of service and parts in the country of operation.

First rule of buying marine products - treat any manufacturers' claims and specifications with a grain of salt until proven otherwise. There are a lot of sharks out there including some of the big names.
Old 26th February 2012, 18:59
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkt87 View Post
What size and type of vessel ? Dont know why one would want a retracable thruster ; seems an expensive proposition . Normally a thruster is positioned in a transverse tube which is part of the hull .

Derek
Old 26th February 2012, 19:47
Sebe Sebe is offline   SN Supporter

Derek,
For info, many offshore support vessels are fitted with retractable omni directional thrusters which are mainly used in lieu of main engines when on standby duties as well as supporting other thrusters in DP operation mode

Last edited by Sebe : 26th February 2012 at 19:50.
Old 26th February 2012, 19:56

Why not consider a Gill-jet type directional thruster, which can contribute to dynamic positioning as well as auxiliary, "get-you-home" propulsion.
Old 10th May 2012, 02:22

Hi jkkt87, Siesmic vessels are regularly fitted with drop down thrusters usually fitted forward of midships on the centreline this is to assist with the main propulsion when they have streamers deployed. Is it a siesmic vessel you are designing?