What a big 'un! - Ships Nostalgia
11:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What a big 'un!

User Tag List

Old 29th March 2017, 13:40
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

What a big 'un!

Lloyds Loading List today has following piece:-

Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL) has taken delivery of the world’s largest containership, the 20,170 TEU MOL Triumph, which will operate on The Alliance’s Asia-Europe trade from next month and offer 25-30% fuel and emissions savings compared with 14,000 TEU-class containerships.

It is the first of a fleet of six 20,000 TEU-class containerships ordered by the Japanese container line from Samsung Heavy Industries, and will be the first 20,000 TEU-class containership deployed in container line consortium The Alliance’s Asia to Europe trade, via its FE2 service.

At 400 metres in length and 58.8 metres in width, MOL Triumph will set off on her maiden voyage from Xingang in April 2017 and will sail to Dalian, Qingdao, Shanghai, Ningbo, Hong Kong, Yantian and Singapore. She will then transit through the Suez Canal and continue on to Tangier, Southampton, Hamburg, Rotterdam and Le Havre. She will then call at Tangier and Jebel Ali on the way back to Asia.

Junichiro Ikeda, President and CEO of MOL said: “The MOL Group is honored to unveil this new vessel, which is the largest containership in the world. The vessel is equipped with various new sustainable technologies to provide more efficient fuel consumption and improved environmental performance."

The new 20,000 TEU-class containerships are equipped with various highly advanced energy-saving technologies including low friction underwater paint, high efficiency propeller and rudder, and an optimized fine hull form, which together can further reduce fuel consumption and CO emissions per container moved by about 25-30% when compared to 14,000 TEU-class containerships. Additionally, the vessel has also been designed with the retrofit option to convert to LNG fuel ship in view of the implementation of the International Maritime Organization’s new regulation to limit SOx emission in marine fuels, which will come into effect in 2020.

MOL will take the delivery of the second 20,000 TEU-class vessel in May, with the eventual six 20,000 TEU-class containerships to be phased in gradually on MOL’s existing trade routes.

geoff
Old 29th March 2017, 14:30

Hopefully they have not forgotten to clean the rubbish out of Lub Oil Tanks. Having all the "Energy Saving Technologies" comes to nothing if basic checks are not carried out.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn; 29th March 2017 at 14:52..
Old 30th March 2017, 00:40

It's not what you've got but the way that you use it.

I suspect MOL are dreading having to accept and pay for six of the beasts in the current market.
Old 30th March 2017, 00:44

MITSUI OSK Lines has taken delivery of its first ultra large containership, the 20,170 teu MOL Triumph, which will beef up The Alliance on the Asia-Europe trade.

Good to see they've named it after one of Britain's finest motorcycle companies.
Old 30th March 2017, 03:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 1990

And this is a photo of the ugly thing. http://gcaptain.us11.list-manage.com...7&e=ce45db01a8
Old 30th March 2017, 06:31

Better looking than current cruise liners....
Old 30th March 2017, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP View Post
Better looking than current cruise liners....

Less crowded, too. I'll wager that a cruise liner has a greater complement of bartenders than that box boat has in all three departments.
Old 30th March 2017, 22:08

It is difficult to believe sometimes that the design of this superb vessel dates back to 1948.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (203.8 KB, 89 views)

Old 30th March 2017, 22:39
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
Lloyds Loading List today has following piece:-

Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL) has taken delivery of the world’s largest containership, the 20,170 TEU MOL Triumph, which will operate on The Alliance’s Asia-Europe trade from next month and offer 25-30% fuel and emissions savings compared with 14,000 TEU-class containerships.

It is the first of a fleet of six 20,000 TEU-class containerships ordered by the Japanese container line from Samsung Heavy Industries, and will be the first 20,000 TEU-class containership deployed in container line consortium The Alliance’s Asia to Europe trade, via its FE2 service.

At 400 metres in length and 58.8 metres in width, MOL Triumph will set off on her maiden voyage from Xingang in April 2017 and will sail to Dalian, Qingdao, Shanghai, Ningbo, Hong Kong, Yantian and Singapore. She will then transit through the Suez Canal and continue on to Tangier, Southampton, Hamburg, Rotterdam and Le Havre. She will then call at Tangier and Jebel Ali on the way back to Asia.

Junichiro Ikeda, President and CEO of MOL said: “The MOL Group is honored to unveil this new vessel, which is the largest containership in the world. The vessel is equipped with various new sustainable technologies to provide more efficient fuel consumption and improved environmental performance."

The new 20,000 TEU-class containerships are equipped with various highly advanced energy-saving technologies including low friction underwater paint, high efficiency propeller and rudder, and an optimized fine hull form, which together can further reduce fuel consumption and CO emissions per container moved by about 25-30% when compared to 14,000 TEU-class containerships. Additionally, the vessel has also been designed with the retrofit option to convert to LNG fuel ship in view of the implementation of the International Maritime Organization’s new regulation to limit SOx emission in marine fuels, which will come into effect in 2020.

MOL will take the delivery of the second 20,000 TEU-class vessel in May, with the eventual six 20,000 TEU-class containerships to be phased in gradually on MOL’s existing trade routes.

geoff
What a Big un> I hear that a lot.
Old 30th March 2017, 22:59
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1985

Oh god I Hope it doesn't come to Virginia. I'm going to need Sherpa assistance to get me up the gangway!
Old 31st March 2017, 08:23
Active: 1976 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP View Post
MITSUI OSK Lines has taken delivery of its first ultra large containership, the 20,170 teu MOL Triumph, which will beef up The Alliance on the Asia-Europe trade.

Good to see they've named it after one of Britain's finest motorcycle companies.
A certain irony there.
Old 31st March 2017, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboted View Post
A certain irony there.
I wonder if they will name the next one MOL James?

Old 31st March 2017, 10:37
Active: 1976 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
I wonder if they will name the next one MOL James?
Or perhaps Mol Dot Cotton ?
Old 1st April 2017, 10:30

Only four currently showing on order at Samsung. Perhaps two options which would not normally show in order book database until firmed up.

Yard Numbers 2167 to 2170 inclusive

2167 - MOL TRIUMPH is given as 210,678 gross
2168 - MOL TRUST was launched in February, for June delivery
2169 - MOL ? is scheduled for July 2017 delivery
2170 - MOL ? is scheduled for August 207 delivery
Old 1st April 2017, 11:32

With a positive Maersk move that Flettner and "Buckau" may be on a come-back..

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachtin...g-tanker-49330
Old 17th May 2017, 12:32

I saw the MOL TRIUMPH arrive in Southampton last week fully loaded.

The local TV station mentioned if you laid all the containers in a line it would stretch from Southampton to London.

Think of the traffic jam.
Old 17th May 2017, 12:47
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDJM View Post
I saw the MOL TRIUMPH arrive in Southampton last week fully loaded.

The local TV station mentioned if you laid all the containers in a line it would stretch from Southampton to London.

Think of the traffic jam.
I'm sure I was behind them on the M25 the other day.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 17th May 2017, 19:41

No longer the biggest, apparently - 'OOCL Hong Kong' has now passed the 21000TEU.

Just been named and ready to go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OOCL-Hong-Kong-Vessel-Particulars.jpg (30.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 18th May 2017, 23:34
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 1986

Yes-already beaten by the 'Madrid Maersk' (first of the 3E mk2 class), which is itself already overtaken by the 'OOCL Hong Kong'.
Both the latter classes are due to call in Felixstowe.
Martyn