266 KDWT VLOC Reported Sunk In S.Atlantic - Ships Nostalgia
09:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

266 KDWT VLOC Reported Sunk In S.Atlantic

User Tag List

Old 2nd April 2017, 10:27
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Unhappy 266 KDWT VLOC Reported Sunk In S.Atlantic

There are reports this morning that the South Korean VLOC "STELLAR DAISY" on a voyage from Brazil to China has sunk in the S. Atlantic. More details can be obtained from many websites with the Reuters report here at http://gcaptain.com/very-large-ore-c...outh-atlantic/ .
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:07
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Another link to info. Amazingly nothing on the news. I did wonder if it was April fool until searched web and endless links to the vessel and this below.

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-ne...missing-after/

Hawkey01
Old 2nd April 2017, 13:12
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
It's on the BBC site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-39467269
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:27
Department: Engineering
Active: 1978 - Present

My location
Some reports suggest that two members of the crew have been saved, so we might get to know exactly what failed. However, she was built in 1993 - that's a long life in a hard trade.

My thoughts are with the families, colleagues and friends of those missing, presumed lost.
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:33

My location
Just scrolled thru all the latest news. The Fleetmon report probably has more news than anywhere. Doesn't sound very hopeful for the remaining crew. I echo Mark Coultas, my thoughts are also with the families, colleagues and friends of those missing, presumed lost.
Ship's last PSC inspection was on 7 Feb in China with 6 modest deficiencies identified. Past history was Ok. Polaris shipping operates 24 VLOC's, the worlds largest fleet of this size vessels.
Old 2nd April 2017, 19:07
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1988

Very sad news especially for families of missing crew,did that run without the return iron ore cargo ,RIP.
Old 3rd April 2017, 01:43
Active: 1950 - 1990

Stella Daisy

Another Derbyshire off South America ? RIP you poor souls.

Last edited by Kaiser Bill; 3rd April 2017 at 02:03..
Old 3rd April 2017, 08:26

R.I.P. Indeed to those who did not survive, fortunately unlike the Derbyshire there are two survivors I understand who hopefully will be able to shed light on what happened if they are in a position to do so.
Having been involved in an incident when the Ore Carrier I sailed on took on a sudden list to Port due to a structural failure all I can say was that the initial failure was not progressive but very sudden and fortunately the vessel did not go any further only to the Scuppers and then gradually settled back a little when the water reached the parts of the vessel it was not meant to be.
We were also not coping with the South Atlantic weather either, the incident I am referring to happened in the North Sea whilst we were in Ballast.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn; 3rd April 2017 at 08:30..
Old 3rd April 2017, 09:38

"The ship, a Very Large Ore Carrier (VLOC), was operated by Polaris but was flagged to the Marshall Islands, and had 16 Filipinos and eight South Koreans on board.
It was transporting 260,000 tonnes of iron ore from Brazil to China.
It was last heard from on Friday when a crew member sent a text message to the South Korean owner of the ship, Polaris Shipping, saying the freighter was taking on water.
Mr Jaunsolo told reporters that the ship split in two and sank."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-39475836
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:27
duquesa duquesa is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1953 - Present

My location
Thread already running chaps.
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:49
Active: 1950 - 1990

Latest report.http://gcaptain.us11.list-manage.com...a&e=ce45db01a8
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:09
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Seems that their communications systems were good enough to email the owners in the Far East were unable (or not use) to alert the appropriate emergency services.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:29

latest

From Sea Web casualty report

STELLAR DAISY
Guaibo with 260,000 tons iron ore for Qingdao

TOOK WATER AND SANK WHILST UNDERWAY IN THE SOUTH ATLANTIC OCEAN 460 MILES NW OF TRISTAN DA CUNHA, UK IN LAT. 34 04’ 00”S, LONG. 018 32’ 00”W AT 1530 HOURS LT (UTC+1) ON 31/03/17.

URUGUAYAN NAVY AND NEARBY MV ‘ELPIDA’, MV ‘SPITHA’, MV ‘THE ETERNAL’, MV ‘CK ANGIE’ ATTENDED THE SCENE TO PROVIDE ASSISTANCE. 2 CREW ON A LIFE RAFT NEAR THE INCIDENT SITE WERE SAFELY RESCUED BY URUGUAYAN NAVY. SAR OPERATIONS FOR THE 22 MISSING CREW EFFECTED URUGUAYAN NAVY, ARGENTINA NAVY AND BRAZIL NAVY AND NEARBY INVOLVING HELICOPTERS, AIRCRAFTS AND LIFEBOATS. SOME OIL POLLUTION AND SHIP DEBRIS REPORTED AROUND INCIDENT SITE.
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:21

My location
Fleetmon today has more news and discussion on this loss at https://www.fleetmon.com/vessels/ste...9038725_27132/

Chris
Old 5th April 2017, 10:28
Active: 1954 - 1962

My location
Ship Missing in South Atlantic

By MarEx 2017-04-01 19:00:33

A South Korean-operated very large ore carrier Stellar Daisy has gone missing in the South Atlantic off Uruguay.

One of the ship’s 24 crewmembers sent a text message on Friday saying the vessel was taking on water.

Two Filipino sailors have been picked up in a life raft by a commercial ship, the South Korean government said Sunday. Another raft and two powered lifeboats that can carry up to 30 people each were also discovered, but no one was on board, reports Yonhap news agency.

The Uruguay Navy has said that the first ships to reach the scene had detected a strong smell of fuel and spotted debris, indicating the ship had probably sunk. The 312-meter (1,024-foot) vessel was last reported to be around 3,700 kilometers (2,300 miles) miles from shore."The more hours pass, the less the chances are of finding them," Gaston Jaunsolo, a spokesman for the Uruguayan navy told Reuters news agency. Jaunsolo told reporters that the ship split in two and sank.The Marshall Islands-flagged vessel had departed Brazil for China with eight Filipinos and 16 Koreans on board. It was carrying 260,000 tonnes of iron ore.The ore carrier is operated by Polaris Shipping of South Korea. She was built in 1993, and, according to Wikipedia, was originally constructed as a very large crude carrier and then converted to an ore carrier.
Old 5th April 2017, 10:57
duquesa duquesa is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1953 - Present

My location
See thread running for some time: 266 KDWT VLOC Reported Sunk In S.Atlantic
Old 5th April 2017, 14:00

My location
There is a further report about this tragedy today from Splash 247 at http://splash247.com/polaris-fire-sl...disappearance/ . The Owners are being criticised for their slow response, but I doubt whether that would have saved more of the 22 crew-members who appear to have been lost. If, as appears to be the case, the ship broke in half, then this was totally preventable and for that the Owners deserve criticism.
Old 5th April 2017, 15:41
Active: 1955 - Present

Anywhere on that southern ocean great circle track is a lonely place to die. My condolences go out to the families and friends of those lost. RIP.
Old 6th April 2017, 11:04

My location
I echo the the following comment made in Lloyd's List today:-"After the loss of Stellar Daisy with 22 seafarers, we might hope there will be an eagle eye cast over similar conversions and a tightening-up of structural inspection"Michael Grey.
Old 6th April 2017, 12:28

My location
In the Splash 247 newsletter today at http://splash247.com/polaris-suffers...r-vloc-mishap/ there is more information about the vain search for survivors and comments from the Owners. Also reported is that another Polaris converted VLOC built in 1993 is in difficulties off Cape Town?
Old 6th April 2017, 13:52
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Old Member
Active: 1971 - 2011

I don't know the naval architecture involved in such a conversion but I imagine the entire maindeck would have been renewed rather than just hatches 'cut and pasted' however IACS gives the specific example of a tanker converted to a bulk carrier as being a "Modification of a major character" and so the modifications should have included any necessary changes/rebuilding for her to comply with the latest IMO rules applicable at the time of conversion (8 years ago).

I am not quite sure how a 15 year old 'normally' fatigued vessel (which many would have expected to be at the Pakistani end of the bathtub curve) can be made 'new' without actually rebuilding from scratch and certainly not more economically than doing so.

Some of us suspect the US couldn't (El Faro). Have the Chinese become so much more proficient in shipbuilding that they are?

Last edited by Varley; 7th April 2017 at 11:18.. Reason: Canning the can.
Old 7th April 2017, 09:17

It would be interesting to know where she apparently split before sinking, Deck cracking around No 5 Hold was quite common in the late 1960's when the then large Ore Carriers put to sea.

Old 19th May 2017, 11:37

My location
Further on the subject can be read in Andrew Craig-Bennetts latest Splash 247 OpEd at http://splash247.com/unsafe-draft-part-two/ .

chris
Old 19th May 2017, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by callpor View Post
Further on the subject can be read in Andrew Craig-Bennetts latest Splash 247 OpEd at http://splash247.com/unsafe-draft-part-two/ .

chris
Interesting reading and having had the experience of the speed of a structural failure and the vessel rolling on to her Beam Ends in calm weather it is no surprise to me that the vessel rolled completely over, fortunately we were in Ballast rather than carrying cargo.
I don't want to get into a discussion in regards to the Derbyshire but there are aspects of that sinking that leave me a bit puzzled if the Official Report is anything to go by.

Old 22nd May 2017, 13:02
Active: 1973 - Present

Stellar Queen still at anchor.

Given the size of these cracks will she ever move?