Ships Nostalgia banner

The BENGORE HEAD

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  harry t. 
#1 ·
Some hard work for you all.
I'm looking for news,pics,& "life on the"
"NEPTUNE" built in Bremen in 1944 Gesellschaft Neptun,laid 1921.
Seized in Flensburg 1945.(this is the part I'm looking for most,IIWW,how & by whom it was seized?)
"EMPIRE GARRISON" MOW
"BENGORE HEAD" Head Lines Heins & Sons Ulster Steamship Co.1947
"AGIOS NECTARIOS" Greece 1967-1971
"?" with Aldebaran Shipping Co. Cyprus
scrapped in spain 1974
Many thanks to you all
For help
BOBOMAN

#3 ·
Boboman,

Is this of use?

1944 KALLIOPE, Neptun Line, Bremen.
1945 Seized by Allies at Flensburg.
1945 EMPIRE GARRISON, MOWT managed by G.Heyn & Sons, Belfast.
1947 BENGORE HEAD, Ulster SS Co (G.Heyn & Sons)
1967 AGIOS NECTARIOS, Canopus Shipping SA, Greece.
1971 Aldebaran Shipping Co, Cyprus.
1974 Scrapped Spain.

Sebe

#4 ·
I Mc Gurggle,
Where you in Head lines?years?
Have you sailed with or just at docks?
You know Bengore Head?
Sebe thank you but repeating what I already know,I would like to go further in to her
history.
But do keep working on it.
"With a little help from my friends"
BOBOMAN

#5 ·
Dampie
Mc I've just been trough your Discharge Book,You've started when my grandone left,
Roonagh Torr Ramore no Bengore bad luck for me.
And Masters on book seem all changed no Haddock,no Ross but Davey former Ramore,and no Clarke.
But you could be in touch with some oulde Head mate,that started before you.
Looking for info on Head lines,Cpt.A.Quail & Bengore Head.
Can you help?
You have pics of Head ships & life on them? Could you scan them & send?
Thancks allot.
BOBOMAN

#7 ·
Hi Sebe!
Having a nice week end?
Thanks for your suggestion.
Yes I did! I've had a reply from a young deck apprentice(at that time) that sailed for some months with Grandone.Had some confirmations but little new data.
But seem he's not a big chatter,received a "one & LONELY".
But hearing from another person a description of a dearone that for you is lost in the fogs of your childhood & you find that your memory & description had from family correspond to reality....well mate it gave me shivers down the bow.
Yesterday night got in touch with an Historic researcher of German Kriegsmarine,had his reply this morning:"KALLIOPE"= Hansa war program vessel 1923 GRT(what GRT mean?),owned by Neptune in Bremen but he doesn't know his whereabouts from 1944 (launch)till 1945.She was delivered 15 July 1945 to G.B.in Methil(strange seized in Flensburg&delivered in Methil) And became Empire garrison .
Apropos....any of you sailed on "Empire Garrison"?What did the ship do in those two years.As war was over I didnt realize much that there were also 2 other "foggy" years missing.
Thanks SEBE.
Good to know that there's some good mate willing to give an hand to a boring HISTODIGGER.
BOBOMAN

#8 ·
Bengore Head

Bengore Head 1925 gross tons 804 net tons 279.9 x 44.4 x 26.9 feet
Completed in 1944 by N.V. Koninklijke Maatschappij Scheepswerven en Machine-Fabriek Flushing as KALLIOPE for Neptun Dampsfschiffahrts-Gesellschaft Germany. 1945 Seized by the Allied Authorities at Flensburg and allocated to the Minstry of Transport. G.Heyn & Sons Ltd. appointed as managers renamed EMPIRE GARRISON. 1/2/1947 purchased by Ulster Steamship Co. Ltd. taken over at Hartlepool renamed BENGORE HEAD. 1967 sold to Kyrle Compania Naviera S.A. Greece renamed AGHIOS NECTARIOS. 1972 sold to Aldebaran Shipping Co. Ltd. Cyprus 1974 sold to Spanish shipbreakers.
Oceantramp

#12 ·
Ciao Tanker
Grazie vecchio lupo
All contributions are much appreciated,in pics and real life experiences dealing with Head Lines(specially with Bengore).
You've gone a long way from the sea apparently,even if I didn't follow the footsteps of my Grandone I can't live with out salty air,I just cant breathe otherwise.
Un saluto speciale dalla Liguria.
Thanks Mc Gurggle thats the route I'me trying to set to,but I found rough sea out there.Please do go further that way,full steam.
Too much time as passed too much lenghts of water has gone by,I suppose the old bunch of mates it's getting less numerous.
I m going trough my Grandone's photos time to time & I see smiling happy faces of people dividing great times,probably hard probably dangerous but REAL LIFE.
Them the ship against all odds.
Thank you all
BOBOMAN.

#16 ·
lost at sea

hi boboman i wonder if you can help me ,im trying to trace a head or hayns
ship that went down possibly off the irish coast or atlantic,around 1951my uncle was the only surviour his name was hughie ellis and i believe was bosun, and i cant find any info at all im not realy sure if it was a head or hayns boat,but that co comes to mind im still searching is there any records of lost ships at sea? on this site, ps i believe the cargo shifted.
regards howard

#13 ·
Hey Oceantramp,
I was just fiddling around this thread and by chance had a look at your profile,you must know much more about Head Lines & Bengore Head,did you ever meet it's Master Cpt.A.Quail my grandone?
The years correspond.
Thank you
BOBOMAN

#18 ·
Gents,
There was a company history book HEAD LINE - G. Heyn & Sons Ltd by W. J. Harvey published by The World Ship Society in 1990 ISBN 0 905617 53 3.

A5 in size with 160 illustrated pages including a full history of every vessel owned or managed.

BENGORE HEAD with photograph is on page 89

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.