Ships Nostalgia banner

Port line information

9K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  mr g elliott 
#1 ·
I sailed on various port line ships over a period of 10 years.I was wonderding if anyone sailed on port launceston port st john or port montreal,during the years 1957 to 1964.

Regards Charlie

#2 ·
hi Charlie. I sailed as an apprentice with Capt V.G.(Bennie)Battle in Port Launceston in 1962 round trip from Birkenhead out in ballast to New Zealand full load home via Dunkirk to Hull if my memory serves me right. A good ship! Have plenty of good memories of ten years in Port Line.
All the best Doug Rowland

#3 ·
Hi Charlie, Like yourself l sailed on many Port Line ships infact it my my first company and joined the Port New Plymouth in August 61 as an engine room boy.At the end of that voyage l changed over to Catering sailing onthe Port Lincoln,Townsville,Jacson,Hobart,Launcheston(2/64 to 1/65) A great and happy ship all round.After leavinf the Port Launcheston l moved on to the Victor then picked up the Port Huon in Dundee (maiden voyage)then l became 2nd Steward on th Lyttelton,Caroline,phillip which was my last ship with Port Line, I left like many otheres cos with the meger with Blue Star.I had some great times with Port Line and in away was very sorry to leave them.
All the best,Ray

#4 ·
Hi Ray,I was a bit before you on the Port St.John. Joined her in Lyttelton 1951 as 4th Eng.on the MANZ run. Had a great trip up to New Westminsterbut just made it with regards to boiler feed ,on the way over it was woe betide the watch if the 2nd found you with more than a !/4 glass keeping the vap going was a full time job. Spent a few days along side discharging fridge cargo,no trouble with temps as it was xmas and the ship was covered in snow,we were also invited to take part in a radio show while there ,it was mainly about shipboard life etc. We loaded timber for Hull from a couple of places on Vancouver Island,then down to San Diego for fuel. crossing the Atlantic we got a real pasting losing a gang way and smashing a lifeboat ,sort of weather that made you think maybe farm work would'nt be so bad after all !!! Still we finally arrived
in the UK and enjoyed my first pint even if it was warm!!!!

#6 · (Edited)
Port boats

Let's get it right lads. She was Port Saint John, not Port St. John. 2 Entirely different ports in Canada.
I was deck boy in her in 1947

There's Saint John and St. Johns, one in Nova Scotia and one in Newfoundland

My discharge boook (r347216) is stamped:
MV "Port Saint John" London
OFF No.166332
3389 TONS NET 801 NHP

Captain Copeland

#11 ·
Hi Charley, welcome on board. I spent a few years with Port Line and enjoyed the time that I was with them. Some of the ships that I was on are Port Pirie, Port Wellington, Port New Plymouth, Port Nicholson, Port Victor, Port Napier, and twice on the Port Invercargill ( Suez ) this was after leaving the Vindi in 1964," Great days ". Take care...............Terry Willcox, Catering.

#14 ·
port line nostalgia

Hi Charlie, I sailed on the Port Launceston in 1975 in fact it was my last ship and I paid off in Auckland the same year. I sailed in numerous Port Line ships and my favourite was the Port New Plymouth in the early seventies.(great memories) all the best hootsmon

#15 ·
Hi Charlie!
Do you know about a site dedicated to Port Line ex-employees?

You will find it at http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/VintagePort/

This e-Group is a meeting point for all the members of "Vintage Port", who were at some time employed by The Port Line Limited, 88 Leadenhall Street, LONDON EC3

Access to this site is open to all past employees, no matter in what capacity or when they served.

Cheers!

#18 ·
Yes, I was surgeon on two voyages Port Montral NZ-Japan in about 1961 and again in 1963
Arthur Kensett Master and Charlie Clements CE, can,t recall names for 2nd voyage
Subsequently 1965 Surgeon Port Nicholson NZ-UK in 1965 and I have joined this forum to see if I can catch up with a crew member from that voyage, 2nd Refrigeration Engineer who subsequently married and emigrated to NZ

#22 ·
An ex-colleague, George Robertson, sadly no longer with us, joined PORT MONTREAL as Junior Second Engineer on 23rd September 1959 at Falmouth. Discharged at Kobe, Japan, on 19th September 1960. Was promoted to Senior Second Engineer during the voyage (6th April 1960). Captain was J.G.A. Dunn and Chief Engineer was C.H. Clements.

PORT MONTREAL - built by Harland & Wolff of Glasgow
O.N. 186004
Call Sign : G R K J
Launched on 22nd September 1953
Delivered on 4th February 1954
Propulsion : 2-stroke cycle 7-cylinder S.A. Burmeister & Wain
Engine rating : 7,700 BHP giving a vessel speed of 16 knots
Two donkey Boilers providing steam at 100 psig
NRT - 3,794 tons
GRT - 7,179 tons
DWT - 8,251 tons
Dimensions : 468' 11" x 64' 4" x 26' 9"

#23 ·
Hi gbs1112.
I think the guy you are trying to remember is Roy Harvey, aka "The Beast", I sailed with him, as 2nd Lecky in 1968, on Port Albany the Ch. Lecky was Dennis Watson and Charlie Clements did one leg as Chief on a 2 leg Manz run.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.