Ships Nostalgia banner

tss monowai

7K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  ben27 
#1 ·
hello everyone,

My father worked as a steward on the Monowai at least between 1951 and 1955, when he left to take on a land job, where sadly he was killed in a work accident shortly afterwards.

I am keen to do any of the following:

1. find anyone who might have known him
2. find out about life as a crew member at that time.
3. find out a bit about where crew went and what they did while in Sydney. My dad was living in Christchurch during this period.

His name was Jim Muir

Many thanks in anticipation

Jim

#3 ·
Jim,

Welcome to the site. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am sure someone will be able to help with your specific queries but, in the meantime, explore the site and I think you will be impressed. (Thumb)

#4 ·
Gulpers said:
Jim, Welcome to the site. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience! I am sure someone will be able to help with your specific queries but, in the meantime, explore the site and I think you will be impressed. (Thumb)
Welcome Jim and good luck with your search, have heard of the Monowai this side of the ditch, she was a RNZN research or survey ship from memory, believe she's been scrapped quite a while?

#5 ·
Monowai.Vix the Monowai you are refering to was RNZN survey ship.Member is refering USSCo's trans Tasman passenger ship which was ex P&O Razmak.Can't help with his queries as I never sailed on her but remember seamen wore working gear known as Monowai Blues. Kiwi

#6 ·
KIWI said:
Monowai.Vix the Monowai you are refering to was RNZN survey ship.Member is refering USSCo's trans Tasman passenger ship which was ex P&O Razmak.Can't help with his queries as I never sailed on her but remember seamen wore working gear known as Monowai Blues. Kiwi
Kia ora Kiwi, Thought there would be a simple explanation...thanks for that. Vix
(Thumb)

#8 · (Edited)
Hi Jim,

Check out this site: http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/union53i.htm - it has some basic information and a photo. Says she was broken up in 1960.

And this one has a whole bunch of stuff about all three ships of that name and even includes a photo of the 1st class stewards - though maybe not your father: http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/monowai/monowai.htm

In fact you are lucky because the second website I gave you has an almost complete history of Monowai II and a load of photos.

Good luck with your research.

Brian

#10 ·
benjidog said:
Hi Jim,

Check out this site: http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/union53i.htm - it has some basic information and a photo. Says she was broken up in 1960.

And this one has a whole bunch of stuff about all three ships of that name and even includes a photo of the 1st class stewards - though maybe not your father: http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/monowai/monowai.htm

In fact you are lucky because the second website I gave you has an almost complete history of Monowai II and a load of photos.

Good luck with your research.

Brian
hello Brian,

thanks for your interest and help. Much appreciated.

cheers,

Jim

#12 ·
It is a few years since you wrote about your father on the T S S Monowai. My brother was a steward on the ship in the 1950's and that is how I met my husband also working on board. They would have known your father - I remember some of the names and the Stewardess was a Mrs Hill from memory.
I sailed on the Monowai from Wellington to Sydney. I think it left NZ on the 10th December and arrived in Sydney 14th. It had a turnaround sailing on a friday and arriving on the TUesday and then sailing again the following Friday.
Those were the days :) There were two classed 1st and 2nd and the dinner bell chimes were played for meals. I do have some memorabilia from those times.

#13 ·
Probably an earlier Monowai.
I was in Colombo harbour at the end of ww2 and the Monowai came in and tied up to buoys in the column next to us - a matter of yards. She was en route from Singapore to the UK with the first POWs from Chango jail in Singapore. They looked like living skeletons and I have ever afterwards hated the Japs for their cruelty !

#14 ·
good day jimmyn m,9th march,2006.19:15.re:tss monowai.i have just been reading this old thread,its a long time ago,but iwas on the monowai in 52.i dont remember names,but it was a good ship.great crew,i cannot say i know your dad,i can tell you he was among friends on the monowai,did he belong to the social club.you could trace him from the records,all the best ben27

#16 ·
Ben, your revival of this post brings to mind both of ships named Monowai. The first was the Union steamship liner that served on the Trans-Tasman run both pre and post WW2 and served as a armed merchant cruiser and troop ship during that war. Launched 1925 and retired 1960 was a good innings.
In her final years she was reputed to be the largest reciprocating steam engined ship in service
The second Monowai was built post war for the NZ Government as a ship to service the dependent Cook Islands. She was launched as "Moana Roa" and re named Monowai when she became a RNZ Navy fleet auxiliary to carry out oceanic research.
I believe that she replaced the fleet auxiliary "Tui" , a one time Bird class mine sweeper that was skippered by SN member Allan Wareing .

Bob

#18 ·
good day reggieboy,m,yesterday,13:28.re:tss monowai,#15,sorry i dont remember names ,just the one,ken bane,he was baker,we sailed together on other ships.he was on the monowai ww2,when she was a troop carrier,he passed over early 70s,hope you find who you are looking for.i may have spoken to the people you named but i just dont remamber,sorry,but thats the price of old age.stay well regards ben27

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.