Ships Nostalgia banner

Mv Port Sydney

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  averheijden 
#1 ·
Now a cruise ship, a video of her engines has appeared on youtube.
Wallsend Doxford's , memories.

#4 ·
Port line broke the ice with beautiful design fine line ships with the post war Port Auckland and Port Brisbane, I can remember 'salivating' about them on their maiden voyages to Auckland when they berthed next to my daily ferry terminal.
Your photo shows lines that are still exciting, old but still lovely, a bit like Sophia Loren! Are there still many good looking ships about? Even the new range of passenger liners miss the photogenic bus, most look like floating blocks of apartments while the larger Cont ships and bulk carriers look like oversize containers with a funnel.
I guess a beautiful ship keeps its beauty, not like us aging mariners. Down by the stern, listing to port, flaking paint, rusty and belching a bit of smoke!

#5 ·
Beautiful ships

Port line broke the ice with beautiful design fine line ships with the post war Port Auckland and Port Brisbane.
I was so impressed by the Port Vindicatrix with her bridge and funnel combined.

I was a cadet in a Lyle's tramp and was awestruck by all that a similarly aged Junior Engineer showed me. The cleanliness of the engine room was a real eye opener. I vowed that when I had my 2nd.Mates I too would sail on a beautiful ship so I joined P&O and found myself aboard the Karmala,a Victory ship. as 4th,not Mate, but Officer. How b******t baffles brains.

#6 ·
I don't know if I am stuck in a time warp but that photo of Port Sydney takes me back to those immediate post war years when we saw a sudden change in naval architecture from the classic old vertical bowed, counter stern,tall funnel steamers of the between war period.
We had that wartime period of the basic functional Liberty boats coming of the stocks at one a day overall but the later 1940's through to the 1960's saw the post war prosperity produce some good looking merchant ships, functional and exciting to the mariner's eye.
It was probably containerization that killed that flair for ship style as this method of cargo lading changed the vessel's shape and dynamics to do the job of quick efficient freight transfer around the world, stuff the looks!
Come to think of it the car industry has gone the same way. Today you need to sit on the bumper of the car in front to read the label before identifying it
Can I suggest this thread be developed into a forum to name the prettiest ships of our post war time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.