Ships Nostalgia banner

Christian Salvesen.

48K views 59 replies 31 participants last post by  Alistair Macnab 
#1 ·
First message from a new member.Can any one please supply me with a list of Christian Salvesen vessels from 1946 and their fates.
thank you peter.r

#3 ·
Just watched a movie,Hell below zero with Alan Ladd featuring the Southern Harvester,Southern Gem,Southern Truce & what looked to be Southern Piper.
Back to Salvesens ships 3 in the 80s Sumburgh Head,Barra head & Rora Head.I also think there were the Troop Head & Highland piper.I believe they were all sold off in late 80s early 90s when Salvesens finnished with shipping .Kenny

#7 ·
dom

Culross ex Empire Antigua 1945

broken up Hamburg 1968
Southern Atlantic Ex Nord Atlantic
broken up Bilboa 1972
Southern Satellite
broken up Korea
Southern Garden Ex Gedaia 1920
broken up Inverkeithing 160
Southern Opal Ex Empire Opal 1941
broken up Hamburg 1964

#8 ·
dom

The INVERLEITH, above, (1961/15,628 grt) was Salvesen's first bulk carrier. Sold in 1974, SALVADA (1961/8,876 grt) was one of four sisterships delivered to Salvesen's in the early 1960s. She was sold in 1971 and became the Somali-registered WEDDELL GLITRA (1952/992 grt) was the first and smallest of a post-World War II series designed for Salvesen's UK-Scandinavian trade. She was sold in 1969 and became the Cypriot-registered AJAX. SEAshe was broken up in 1982The Christian Salvesen sister ships RORA HEAD (left) and BARRA HEAD, seen here off Tilbury, were sold to Norwegian owners in 1990.
source Christian Salveson fleet list

#10 ·
MV Southern Peter 172 tons Built 1944 by Humprey & Sons,Grimsby.
109.5 x 22.1 x 10.8. 8Cyl 2S CSA 10 1/2" x 13 1/2", Diesel built by Crossley Bros, Manchester. Code flags GOMB Owned By South Georgia Co; Ltd.(Chr; Salveson as managers).Registered Leith, British flag.
Wood construction.

MV Southern Paul, As above except code flags MTFD.
Both used on Harbour service.

#14 ·
Duncansby Head and sistership Dunvegan Head, 4000 ton colliers, were owned by the Salvesen subsidiary Henry & Macgregor of Leith, I assume Rora Head and Barra Head were the same. Duncansby Head became Beacon Point and Dunvegan Head became Fort Point when they were sold in 1976.

John T.

#17 ·
In 1952 i think it was, i was to join the ss Struan, i think it is the right
spelling, at Leith. I was going to join one of Salverson factory ships at
S Georgia. Owing to an accident i never made the sailing.
Was the SS Struan one of Salversons ships.
Rgd's.
Barney

#22 ·
I sailed with Salvesens on the Salvina and Troup Head great Company who since 1970,s have been involved in Road Transport / cold storage in tne UK ......most of their ships starting with SOUTHERN were attached to the whaling fleet and were catchers and carcass recovery vessels and of course factory ships Browse google for "TEESSHIPS" all Salvesens history is there a lot of it anyway ...good luck Backsplice

#30 ·
Backsplice, my Dad was an engineer on the Salvina. My memory is cloudy on this but I think it would have been very early `60s.
Our family travelled to Oskarshamn for a ship launch and my father stayed on, it was a Salvesan ship and may have been the Salvina.
Any information would be appreciated.

#26 ·
Found out what in was looking for about (1) Southern Peter,(2)Southern Paul.
1)Built as MMS13 for RN then transferred to France as D378 in 1944 to 1947 then sold to Salvesens asSouthern Peter.
2)Built as MMS202 for the RN then transferred to France as D372 in 1944 to1947 then returned to the RN who sold it to salvesens as SOUTHERN Paul.Both served till the 1960s lay derilict till 1990s then they were destroyed. peter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.