Ships Nostalgia banner

Iolair Postage Stamp

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Peteracook 
#1 ·
A lot of people in SN 'sailed' on the Iolair but I have never heard anyone mention that the UK Post Office issued a stamp in May 1983

Evidently it was one of a series of threehonouring British genius, the other two were The Humber Bridge and the Thames flood barrier.

Bob Smith ex 1958 BP Engineering Apprentice and Iolair's Chief Engineer during Construction and for a few first years of he service life died in 2010

I wonder if anyone retained a stamp?

Graham

Graham

#2 ·
Hi Graham
As you are probably aware I was on the Iolair in the builders yard and then into the Forties for a couple of years.
A postage stamp was indeed issued and all crew attached to her as well as a lot of office "hanger ons" were issued with first day covers.
The Post office even sent out a couple of officials to frank the covers which were sent to our home address.
I still have mine, if you are interested will send you photos of it.
The stamp was one of a set of Great British engineering achievements if IT remember correctly.

#8 ·
Yes David I do remember your association with the Iolair, I think you are also mentioned in FN articles on her. I have your BP career up to 83 on file but not 83/95.

I certainly would like any photos you could send me of Iolair stamps, I wonder if Stuart Andrew has any?

Graham

#5 ·
Have dug out the first day cover and photographed it.
It was indeed one of a.series of three stamps which consisted of the Iolair, the Thames barrier and the Humber bridge. All three stamps are on the fdc.
I know how to upload photos to my gallery on this forum, not sure how to attach to a posting. Any info, how to do so most gratefully received.

#15 ·
Also worth noting that it was not at all a popular choice of name in some quarters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMY_Iolaire

I remember my father who was working on it with Brown Brothers was not at all happy about the name - what with him being from Lewis and a Sailor of the 'Old School'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.