Ships Nostalgia banner

Ellerman ship photos

68K views 193 replies 92 participants last post by  Strickylad44 
#1 ·
Hi, I have been building an Ellerman ship database for the past few years and have over 2300 pictures of Ellerman ships including Wilson, Bucknall, Papayanni, City, ACT ect. These date from the 1870's to the 1980's.
If anyone is looking for a photo of their old ship, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy free of charge. Since I have collected these from a vast variety of sources I have no idea who owns copyright to most of them so I would ask that you respect this and only use them for your own private use.
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution.

#167 ·
Hi, just enrolled and very interested in finding out my fathers Merchant service record. I know most of the ships he sailed with but need a guide as to where I go to get dates for outward bound trips and destinations. He servied from 1913 until 1939, with a short break with the Army 1917/1919. Any help will be much appreciated.
Best regards to all.

#168 ·
Hi baileybloke, My father sailed on Ellerman ships for twenty plus years. I am at present compiling his service career. I have his ship names and would appreciate some pictures. the two ships I am processing at the moment are, SS Vasco and SS Lesbian.I would very much appreciate pictures if you have them.
Thank you and regards.
marine798

#169 ·
MV City of Johannesburg (c1955)

Hi baileybloke,
I have an old friend who has recently be diagnosed with Mesothelioma, Who sailed on his first trip in 1955. I would be very appreciative if you could post a picture so I could frame it & give it to him.

Thanks in anticipation,

Arthur C. ex 3/E Houlders

#172 ·
Ellerman Photos

Hi Baily,
You will make a lot of ship enthusiasts /former ship personnel, happy with your massive task of getting all these photo's.

I am a Houlders man, but would like to thank you. Also your help to me
for my old mate Jim, who you helped by getting some Ellerman photos & information previously.

Cheers from Perth, West Oz.

Arthur ex 3/E.(Applause)

#177 · (Edited)
Hombre

Hi Baileybloke

My dad sailed on Ellerman Line ships in WW1, and had three taken out by Ubouts. He survived the last on, City of Corinth, sunk 12 miles SW of the Lizard. I have the only existing photo of the C0C taken by a crew member as she was sinking on May 21, 1917. I also did a painting (once I had found the correct colours) which I copied from the photo. If you would like a copy of one or both let me know and I can email them to you. I don't know what other Ellerman ships he was on, but if you have a list of those that were sunk in WW1, my sister may recognise the names, she is older than me !
Dave.

#178 ·
city of dundee

Hi,
My father in law served on the City of Dundee in ww2. He's been looking
for some photos. I would be very grateful for any if you have some.
I'm not much of a chronicler but I think the ship was called something else before.
I hope you can help.
Thanks.
Bristol

#182 ·
hello, my grandfather served on the kasenga during ww1 and was on her when torpedoed he then was on the new kasenga in 1921 till 23, then on the mottopo in 1923, then the katuna and the kabinga, I would love to have some pictures of these ships as the one I have got are very small and grainey, best regards, steve crane

#190 ·
SS Anatolia
Do you have any photo of the SS Anatolia that was sunk by a mine 1 and an half mile in front of Genoa on the 25th of June of 1917?
Does anybody know the cargo of the ship on that trip?
I found just a generic "mixed cargo", could it have been paraffin as well?
All this is so to identify a wrek.
Thank you

#191 ·
Ellerman City Liners 1970 - 1979

I am interested in photos of the Cities of Hull, Liverpool and London. I served as an Engineer on all 3 between 1972 and 77, before moving to the Dilkara. I have photos of the City of Eastbourne and the Dilkara.
Had happy memories of various City Liner ships where I spent all my sea service as well as one trip on the Rapallo.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.