500 kHz Recordings A9M - Page 17 - Ships Nostalgia
11:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

500 kHz Recordings A9M

User Tag List

Old 17th March 2017, 20:12

On this hompage from a RO, there is some recordings from 2182.

http://www.family-richards.org.uk/br...hips_radio.htm

First open the link Oban radio. Then there is some recordings. One of them is a mayday relay from Landsend radio with the AA.
Eventually there is some error so all of the recordings opens at the same time?
Old 17th March 2017, 23:06

Tks. Will have a look.
Old 19th April 2017, 18:25

500 khz Recordings Final UK coast stations Transmission

Greetings,

The attached recording was made at Malin Head, at 1203 utc
30th June 2000

It is the final transmission from the UK coast radio station service,
made from Stonehaven Radio.

Note that Malin Head Radio EJM was the only station to reply
to this broadcast, the recording was left running for some time
but no one else tried to contact Stonehaven, or indeed did
Stonehaven reply to anyone.

A very sad end to a great service to the Maritime community over so
many years.

Kind regards
Finbar EJM retired EI0CF
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 LastUKcoastStationTransmission1203UTC30062000.mp3 (3.22 MB, 55 views)
Old 19th April 2017, 18:55

Thanks for that Finbar..
I had the privilege of working with Donald Macpherson during my time at GND he was large in stature and a larger than life character. RIP
Old 20th April 2017, 04:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1980 - 1991

Many thanks for that. A sad end to a proud service.

Replaced by 250w Skantis and an 8m whip....shameful.
Old 20th April 2017, 15:03
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1979 - 1987

Sad indeed... but thanks for posting it Finbar
Old 20th April 2017, 17:17
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Old Member
Active: 1971 - 2011

Well, it might be comforting to think we were the best source of succour at sea can anyone point to an incident where W/T and a distant RCC and/or MF to local prospects would have had a better outcome than a GMDSS performance?
Old 20th April 2017, 19:29
Active: 1963 - 1995

Thanks for that Finbar. Well remembered times.

I 'took my money and ran' back in 1995, but on the Monday after that sad day, along with fellow RO Andy Whetton, I went in to GKZ and together we actually 'turned the lights off'.................... Then retired to the pub just along the road to celebrate.

David
+
Old 21st April 2017, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Well, it might be comforting to think we were the best source of succour at sea can anyone point to an incident where W/T and a distant RCC and/or MF to local prospects would have had a better outcome than a GMDSS performance?
Not so much the technology (which is excellent), but the lack of a dedicated communicator.

The old man and the mates are far too busy fighting the fires/loading the lifeboats/stopping the flooding to mess about with comms to the RCC.

I've seen this many times in accident reports and been told about it first hand.

The R/O should have been retained, retrained as an EO, with his/her emergency station the comms gear.

IMO have lost the plot - if they ever had it.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:22
Old Member

I don't disagree with that as opinion (and not so much keeping the body for operating but for working towards a certificated competency for electrical skill-user).

I read the MAIB reports sporadically (trying to catch up using the digest index) and have seen no evidence that we are right.

My most informed complaint about IMO is that the refuse to accept 80% of a solution which is usually manageable but 100% or nothing. One cannot always hog the cream the milk has to be consumed as well. They also dabble ion politics (downward pressure on crew competences to enable tree shaking recruiting practices, mandating S band radar in an era of adequate rain performance with X band techniques only in order to prevent ITU re-allocating the band).

Studying the transcripts of Estonia it was quite heart warming to note that all those that could have effectively helped had altered towards her before the MRCC had been woken to the emergency (which was alerted not by GMDSS but by a mobile phone call).
Old 21st April 2017, 10:28

As opposed to reality circa 1989 when I watched a GMDSS demo and perchance a XXX Medico from memory a Korean ship appeared on the screen and printout.
It was still churning out without acknowledgement/result three hours later..
Old 21st April 2017, 14:14
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1979 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
There are lots of grumpy old men on various internet groups advocating the return of the R/O. I don't think it can ever be proved one way or another which is safer; R/O or GMDSS. There are countless scenarios. You have Derbyshire which apparently broke in half suddenly with total loss of life within minutes. R/O or GMDSS would have made no difference. On occasions where there is time to man the lifeboats or call a doctor for a medic, the navigators would probably have stopped panicking enough to remember their GMDSS routines. And so the arguments continue.

In the end it's probably just better to fondly remember the old times and accept the new.
Old 21st April 2017, 14:26
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Davies View Post
You have Derbyshire which apparently broke in half suddenly with total loss of life within minutes. R/O or GMDSS would have made no difference.
The float-free EPIRB required under GMDSS might have alerted the authorities to the catastrophe and identified the location of the disaster. Unlikely that would have saved any lives but the authorities would have had more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Davies View Post
In the end it's probably just better to fondly remember the old times and accept the new.
I fully agree with that position.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 21st April 2017, 20:59
Active: 1966 - 1986

Every time I make a phone call and a girl's voice doesn't ask me for "Number please" I think mmmmmmmmm that's progress !
There are many jobs that don't exist any more because of technology.
I [WE ?) had a good time whilst it lasted though
Old 21st April 2017, 23:52

The GMDSS is good technology, implemented very poorly.

Deck Officers are not communicators.

BUT, if IMO had allowed the system to mature and adopt current technology......of course, that will never happen....all too expensive, don't you know.

I have been to many IMO meetings...the incompetence on display is truly breathtaking.

Why has Iridium taken so long to be integrated into the GMDSS?

The much vaunted GMDSS review has achieved exactly SFA.

The comms, SAR and Nav sub committees have now been squashed together into one 5 day meeting, with the result that there is never time to discuss anything in detail.

Oh well, at least the view from the balcony outside the cafe is nice...and the prices are cheap.
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:15

Who cannot agree what a great life RO@Sea was but posting above throws a very different light on what went and looks as if still is going on behind closed doors..
I'm not a cruise person but if I was I'd be a lot happier on a cruise ship that carried a professional Electronic Technician/Communications Officer than just an emergency general factotum..

Last edited by R651400; 22nd April 2017 at 07:17..
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:44

My wife is often at me to go on a cruise.

Absolutely. No. Way.......a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by Troppo; 22nd April 2017 at 09:49..
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:49
Active: 1964 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
My wife is often on at me to go on a cruise.

Absolutely. No. Way.......
No way I'd bother....

Mind you, I love the TV adverts for the cruises; I'm amazed, that with all that accommodation, the man, his wife and two friends can have the ship just about to themselves....
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:00
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
The GMDSS is good technology, implemented very poorly.

Deck Officers are not communicators.

BUT, if IMO had allowed the system to mature and adopt current technology......of course, that will never happen....all too expensive, don't you know.

I have been to many IMO meetings...the incompetence on display is truly breathtaking.

Why has Iridium taken so long to be integrated into the GMDSS?

The much vaunted GMDSS review has achieved exactly SFA.

The comms, SAR and Nav sub committees have now been squashed together into one 5 day meeting, with the result that there is never time to discuss anything in detail.

Oh well, at least the view from the balcony outside the cafe is nice...and the prices are cheap.
I have only got to the British negotiators courtesy of the GCBS never the IMO (and then rather a long time ago now).I can opine on Iridium however. Schulte (IoM) had already adopted Iridium when they rescued me from even earlier redundancy. Certainly then a system usually not even reliable enough for commercial usage (I do not mean public correspondence but doing ships business cheaply), quite a bane with continuous complaints from seastaff rightly expecting kit fit for the purposes we dictated.

The system itself was a commercial failure in bankruptcy protection from 1999 till 2008 and might have folded if not rescued. Rescuers gambling on US government usage.

I am sure the system has improved and whilst the old wording is still there that nothing should prevent the raising of alarm by any method available to incorporate such system where they may be accepted as primary kit would certainly have been chancing it in 2011 when I last had experience of it.

You will recall the earliest IMO claims that Inmarsat A would be accepted in the GMDSS which guided many owners' purchasing decisions for them to be disappointed/disadvantaged when it clearly could not meet the 'cream' level of the first operational performance specification (an honourable mention for Liberia, here, the only administration to say "Sorry. We told you A would be OK so if that's what you've got already we will accept it". Iridium would have been a lower cost mistake but clearly risked being a repeat.
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:38

As the terrible disaster Estonia was mentioned in this thread. Ill put a link from Youtube with the communications. Finnish/English/Swedish. With translations.

Old 23rd April 2017, 16:10

VHF distress procedure if that is what you can call it!
I doubt even with the presence of an RO there would have been enough time/hope for survivors or could there have been?
I'm certain any RO would have been aware of pending disaster and managed to get the ships position out a lot faster than portrayed on this video..
Old 23rd April 2017, 18:29
Old Member

There was an R/O wasn't there, she was W/T ship? A case where reliance on a single expert communicator would have failed (I think he was trapped and then lost). However, like you, I don't think he would have made any difference had he got to his key.

Perhaps R/T procedure was not followed precisely but Silja Europa gets my vote for having done a magnificent job. Very impressive and more 'atmospheric' hearing these recordings than dry reading of the transcript.
Old 23rd April 2017, 19:11
BobClay BobClay is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Quite heart breaking to listen to the death of a ship and think of all those aboard who lost their lives. :-(
Old 23rd April 2017, 19:38
Active: 1964 - 1987

As Varley says RT procedure wasn't followed. I.e using PAN PAN from the coast station when "Estonia" had sent a Mayday. Not knowing their position was more worrying. No GPS?
Old 24th April 2017, 09:47

That coast station op should have been sacked. Hopeless.