Pasage to Wisbech - Ships Nostalgia
09:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pasage to Wisbech

User Tag List

Old 11th April 2017, 14:49

My location
Passage to Wisbech

Great little documentary from the 80s about sailing in the coastal trade, apologies if it has been shown here previously:

Brian

Last edited by beedeesea; 11th April 2017 at 15:25..
Old 11th April 2017, 15:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
Thanks, Beedeesea. I missed that when it was aired on TV because I was at sea. The master/owner is well known to me and I recognised various faces including one in the Beach Hotel at Exmouth. Truly a blast from the past. I'm really grateful.
Old 11th April 2017, 16:57

My location
Glad you enjoyed it, Robert. Sorry about the typo....I was able to edit the post title, but not the thread title itself. Somebody else on here had mentioned that the pilot boat "Norman Best" had been sold to Arklow, but that he couldn't find any trace of her when he visited here. I must enquire locally at the weekend.

Brian
Old 11th April 2017, 20:43

Great film, what a professional self effacing crew.
Old 11th April 2017, 20:50
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

I think Wisbech is no longer much of a port anymore. Used to see coasters unloading timber. I think they dock at Sutton Bridge now.
Old 12th April 2017, 02:14
Active: 1950 - 1960

My location
Many thanks, Brian. Reminded me of my time 65 years ago, in the Afon Gwili and the drunken skipper and mate, who's motto was: Have cargo - go anywhere to any port in any sea! ... Sure did!

Taff
Old 16th April 2017, 13:37
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1985

Great film. The joys of hatch boards and beams. I see the standard pain medicine was Grolsch. Sad to see the coastal fleets and life go.
Thanks for the link
Old 16th April 2017, 19:44
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005

Hi beedeesea. Watching these film clips of what sea going was all about is all that is left to us. Most are of the large ocean going vessels so it's nice to see some of the smaller vessels at work.
Channel 4 T.V. did a six part series many years ago on all types of sea going vessels but they never released them to buy. I recorded one episode on VHS tape The Rough Trade which was mainly about the coastal trade from sail to steam it's a great watch.
Old 16th April 2017, 20:01

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
Hi beedeesea. Watching these film clips of what sea going was all about is all that is left to us. Most are of the large ocean going vessels so it's nice to see some of the smaller vessels at work.
Channel 4 T.V. did a six part series many years ago on all types of sea going vessels but they never released them to buy. I recorded one episode on VHS tape The Rough Trade which was mainly about the coastal trade from sail to steam it's a great watch.
Don't remember the Ch.4 series, Bill. I had a look for it on YouTube, but no joy, I'm afraid.

Brian
Old 17th April 2017, 11:36
Department: Navigation
Active: 1960 - 2009

Never seen this documentary before Brian thanks for posting, spent a lot of time on the Home Trade, hard work and no sleep but wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Old 17th April 2017, 12:42
Active: 1966 - 2009

I remember seeing it on TV and was mighty impressed by the humanity and diligence of the crew from Master down.
Old 17th April 2017, 20:00

Post #9 Brian. I also tried Youtube and likewise nothing. The series was called Classic Ships narrated by the late John Peel. This is all I did find on the internet.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/c...s/episode-guid

Bill

Last edited by Bill Morrison; 17th April 2017 at 20:05.. Reason: in correct address
Old 17th April 2017, 20:10

My post #12. Between programmes/ /episode is classic-ships I have tried to edit it to now avail.

Bill
Old 17th April 2017, 21:01

My location
Thanks, Bill. I can find the episode guide o.k., but not the actual programmes, sadly.

Brian
Old 21st April 2017, 08:08

Wisbech is still a busy port with regular ships from the Baltic and Europe mainly timber and some containers, it has its own pilot to bring ships in from the wash. The town has seen better days and you struggle to hear english spoken in the town place, know locally as Wisbechistan for obvious reasons, shame as it once was a lovely town.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:43

Rowbottoms Tankers I.e. the Tillerman ,1000 tonne, used to deliver petrol and diesel from Immingham to Wisbech in 1973
Cargo was pumped into storage tanks and delivered to filling stations in the Norwich area by road tankers
There was talk of them building a 2000 tanker for this trade and docking it on selected tides but I don't know if this was ever done!
Old 21st April 2017, 14:10

I enjoyed the video but but that vessel was far much luxurious than any of the coasters I sailed on re J.Monks ,Savages,the Roquane out of the Channel Islands or even my all time favourite the little Torwood,I didn't see the acting cook go ashore for stores ,did the crew have to pay for their food?did they change to paraffin lamps when in port as we used to when the engine shut down? And radar wow, and slinging hatchboards that was the first thing I did as a 15yr old deck boy on the Hazelfield,and as was only 5ft6ins weighing in at 7st ringing wet and it was pouring down the boards were heavier than me I was knackered, and was I missing something they only covered the hatch with one tarp and a canvas style lorry strap across wouldn't have done in savages or any of the others I sailed on.Sad to see that the company was finished soon after but the video was a witness of the last real sailors under the Red Duster.
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:13

I am unsure of the exact geography or my memory of this river that goes from the WASH to wisbeach? In the 90's travelling by road Norwich to Mablethorpe, I seem to remember a vesell beam on blocking the river just seaward of the road bridge [Nowich-mablethorpe-Boston], and the then anglia news covering the story for some 2-3 weeks, before the vessel as released from its position/predicament? No trade was permitted on the river. The vesel was a coaster dry cargo type??
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:11

The river is the River Nene from the Wash to Wisbech. I think that you are talking of Sutton Bridge.
One trip to Wisbech in August 1973 the weather was so hot Sutton Bridge expanded and the fire brigade played their hoses on so that it could be opened to let us leave.
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:38

I wonder where they are now. I would love to know. At the end of the film it was said the business had gone into liquidation.
Old 24th April 2017, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bis View Post
The river is the River Nene from the Wash to Wisbech. I think that you are talking of Sutton Bridge.
One trip to Wisbech in August 1973 the weather was so hot Sutton Bridge expanded and the fire brigade played their hoses on so that it could be opened to let us leave.
Thank you, memories can be confussing. I passed along the road and many times Sutton Bridge, only once in 10 Years did I find the Bridge open to shipping
Old 18th May 2017, 13:57
Active: 1957 - 1993

I was given an excellent little book once with the title ' A life in ships' (or very similar). It was penned by a Queensferry, North Wales owner by the name Tom Coppack. Worth a look.
Old 18th May 2017, 16:47
Active: 1965 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
I think Wisbech is no longer much of a port anymore. Used to see coasters unloading timber. I think they dock at Sutton Bridge now.
Wisbech still sees 4or 5 calls a month.Mainly timber and a cargo of bricks on the import side.On the export side there is a scrap cargo every three weeks.Sutton Bridge deals in different cargoes to Wisbech.Mainly bulk imports and exports and quiet a lot of steel coil.It is also used by wind farm vessels
Old 18th May 2017, 17:25
Active: 1965 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
I am unsure of the exact geography or my memory of this river that goes from the WASH to wisbeach? In the 90's travelling by road Norwich to Mablethorpe, I seem to remember a vesell beam on blocking the river just seaward of the road bridge [Nowich-mablethorpe-Boston], and the then anglia news covering the story for some 2-3 weeks, before the vessel as released from its position/predicament? No trade was permitted on the river. The vesel was a coaster dry cargo type??
That was a vessel called the Lagic.It was across the river upstream from Port Sutton Bridge.It had a steel cargo and it broke its back in 2 places.The port continued to be used whilst the Lagic was salvaged as they bought the ships up stern first.Wisbech was cut of whilst the salvage operation took place.
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:24

Coast lines

My dad sailed on Lancastria from 1930 but on his medical certificate on joining her, his previous employment was Coast Lines. I know he worked with his father who was one of the pilots in Wexford Harbour and then went to coast line. Problem is Irish or British ships. Hoping you can point me in right direction for my search. Enjoyed watching video you posted. Anne