Bibby Line - Page 16 - Ships Nostalgia
10:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bibby Line

User Tag List

Old 25th January 2015, 20:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Doh! I should have checked before I posted that question. For some reason (possibly a mental confusion with the 6-Day War) my memory thought it was a 6-year war in 1967 and not 8 years long.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 25th January 2015, 21:32

It was also very good daily rate of $7500 (approx. £3750) from the Italian charterers of the ship. Six weeks or so of that kind of money at that time would have made Mr. Bibby very happy. To put it in some perspective, my annual salary as C/O at that time was about £4800.
Old 9th February 2015, 06:13
Active: 1975 - Present

First Shipment of Mubarraz Crude

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
I can confirm that after trials, the maiden voyage was special. We went to Rastanurah to load a special cargo for the Sheik of AbiDabi (spelling?)
Alan
It's Abu Dhabi!

If this was 6 June 1973, I suggest you loaded in the UAE not Saudi as this would 'fit' with his highness the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan attending the ceremony for the first shipment of Mubarraz crude oil and later visiting Japan - to see

NB: I may have been one of your students at Brunel Tech (Rad 177).
Old 9th February 2015, 20:31
Department: Electrician
Active: 1976 - 1985

Neil just got back on this site and have seen your reply. I paid off the Staffordshire at Rastanura, the ship then went on to Thailand. Alan Kennedy relieved me as Electrical Officer. Alec would be the Cheif Engineer and Mike Horn would be the old man. I must admit I do not remember any of the other names at that time.
Old 18th February 2015, 20:39

Its a small world as I was trawling the sight when I saw a post from a lekie. Coincidence as I recognise the name Mike Horn.
I met him in my post seafaring career ( Lekie Reardon Smith Line 1969-1973) running my own retail newsagents business in Berwick-upon-Tweed.
I was attending NFRN ( National Federation of Retail Newsagents ) meetings in Alnwick, Northumberland approx. 1980 when I met Captain Mike Horn of Bibby Line who if I remember rightly was running his family newsagents in Alnmouth, Nr Alnwick.
Old 3rd March 2015, 12:22
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by مسافر View Post
It's Abu Dhabi!

If this was 6 June 1973, I suggest you loaded in the UAE not Saudi as this would 'fit' with his highness the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan attending the ceremony for the first shipment of Mubarraz crude oil and later visiting Japan - to see

NB: I may have been one of your students at Brunel Tech (Rad 177).
Hi
Thanks for supplying all that excellent detail on that particular voyage.

The first class I took when I joined Brunel was RAD180, you were a bit earlier than that although you were probably there in your second year or perhaps doing radar.

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:11
Active: 1980 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTH SCULLY View Post
Hi My Name Is Ruth Scully My Father Sailed On The Devonshire In June 83 To October 83 Where Sadly He Died.did You Sail With Him?if So I Would Love To Hear Any Stories You Have About Him.thanks X
Hi Ruth I sailed with your old man on the dev the trip before he passed I remember coming to Liverpool with Steve Parry to visit your ma .. he was a big man blonde unkempt hair ex Bp who always looked after the junior ratings we saw him as a father figure .... Who wherever he ended up will still be grafting and always going on about his family and his daughters ....daviddavies135@btinternet.com
Old 4th November 2015, 01:20

Biby Line

I joined "Warickshire"in 1960.
Served on several of their vessels.
A great company, but left when the Rangoon run and trooping ended.
Didn't fancy their expansion in new areas (bulk/gas carriers etc.
NJR
Old 21st December 2015, 16:26
Active: 1967 - 1990

Hi to all, just joined the group, I was in Bibs as r/o from early 70 to late 72, still have gazettes from then and have recognised some names.
Rob Owens if anyone remembers from that period.

Last edited by gwde; 21st December 2015 at 16:47..
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:20
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfordray View Post
hi all just found this site hidden away ...sailed with bibbys 75...80 sips were worcestershire hampshire australian bridge berkshire yorkshire....berkshire ray ummins alias captain pugwash....haha sailed with so many good lads any one remember me
Hi Ray. I only saw this website today and recognised so many names from the past. We were at Riversdale at the same time. You were close mates with Paddy Moore and I hung around with Jebb Kitchen. I still keep in touch with Jebb - would you believe he is still with Bibby Line and is now the MD. I met Andy Smith a few years ago but haven't spoken with him in a while. Hope you keep well and out of trouble - we were bad lads back then! I seem to remember you had to fork out for someone else's new gnashers once....
Dave Bousfield
Old 4th March 2017, 23:09
Active: 1975 - 1985

Not sure whether you are all aware that there is a Bibby Line for Seafarers forum page on Facebook - this can be found at the following

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1695156350732675/

73's

Geoff
Old 9th March 2017, 13:41
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksatsea View Post
Not sure whether you are all aware that there is a Bibby Line for Seafarers forum page on Facebook - this can be found at the following

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1695156350732675/

73's

Geoff
Geoff, just joined the face book Bibby Line Group and already exchanged messages with two ex ship mates.
It was a great tip Geoff, thanks

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 20th April 2017, 15:57
Active: 1950 - 1961

Help! I was a RO with Bibbys 1950-1953. Can anyone tell me the name of the radio superintendent at that time. I have racked my brains trying to remember. Cheers, Roger
Old 20th April 2017, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bentley View Post
Help! I was a RO with Bibbys 1950-1953. Can anyone tell me the name of the radio superintendent at that time. I have racked my brains trying to remember. Cheers, Roger
Would it be George Nutter. I know he was super in 1960.
Regards
John
Old 21st April 2017, 11:44
Active: 1950 - 1961

Bibby Radio Supt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Callon View Post
Would it be George Nutter. I know he was super in 1960.
Regards
John
John, Yes that's the man. I remember him well and had half guessed it was Nutter but couldn't be sure. When I was editing the ROA Newsletter and Journal. His name had come up in one edition and I got a letter from a lady whose mother had been in the lifeboat following the torpedoing of a ship on which George had been returning home after a long spell of wartime duty abroad. He was the senior officer in the boat and took charge, They were rescued and she was full of admiration for him. Many thanks for your help. Best regards, Roger