of watch- that radio station? - Ships Nostalgia
09:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

of watch- that radio station?

User Tag List

Old 20th April 2017, 07:49

of watch- that radio station?

Being in the engine room, sweating like a stuffed pig, in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf, loading and discharging in Aden, and other tanker ports in that nick of the woods, on board tankers, some fitted with complete accommodation Air conditioning, some with tennents case/boxes wind/ breeze catchers (Abadan-comes too mind with its 19 some jetties), and that natural climate of that part of the world, one had to find a cool place to sleep and rest, and here BBC Overseas come into its own, with programmes that the scots crew members would love to turn up loudly such as Jimmy Shand and his band or Andy Stewart and his songs (Scotland the Brave comes to Mind,).
In the med on a quiet night coming off the 8/12 (midnight) just off Cyprus, one could tune into BBC Light Programme, and listen. Radio Luxenberg was a station too far!! In the gulf there was also 24 hours a day '' Voice of the desert'', without a time signal, or clue as too whom broadcast this popular music channel-It was a most welcome relief to the BBC World Service, and Voice of America broadcast from ''Stuttgart?'' in then what was west germany.
Around the Cape there was a south african broadcast radio programmes that were also is pleasant to listen too, when the tankers were sent round the ''Cape'', after the suez canal closed in the mid 60's.
I am in my rocking chair now dribbling and burbling some unintelligible rubbish, listening to Radio 2'a listen to the band and nigel ogden- the organist entertains, old programmes for old farts?? Sleep tight! enjoy your time off watch

Last edited by david freeman; 20th April 2017 at 07:55.. Reason: remembereed
Old 20th April 2017, 12:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Yes, it brings back good memories.
As well as the World Service from Sparky's Shack (for setting the Chronometer) , my favourite was Radio Lourenco Marques , which you could pick up on your personal radio on passage through the Mozambique Channel and which played great African music.
Old 20th April 2017, 13:56
BobClay BobClay is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I remember Radio Lourenco Marques, wow that brings back memories ...
Old 20th April 2017, 14:02
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
A blast from the past then ...........................

http://www.lmradio.net/streaming.html

Old 20th April 2017, 14:07
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharrison View Post
Yes, it brings back good memories.
As well as the World Service from Sparky's Shack (for setting the Chronometer) , my favourite was Radio Lourenco Marques , which you could pick up on your personal radio on passage through the Mozambique Channel and which played great African music.
Think it was called Lourenco Marques Radio (LM Radio) and I can still remember the jingles.

You had to be careful that the QTR signals were not taken from a World Service Relay station - there would have been a delay.

Old 20th April 2017, 14:25
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1986

On our way to Satthib listening to AFBS Saigon was entertaining, along with BFBS Sharjah on the way into the Gulf.

And of course LM radio was a breath of fresh air on the long haul round the Cape, good days.
Old 20th April 2017, 14:44

My location
The Binaca top 9, off Ceylon I believe.....
Old 20th April 2017, 17:07
Active: 1971 - Present

Ws the Voice of the Desert not "The FM Service of Radio Kuwait" as they used to state every hour or so. Played continuous music and some complete albums.
Old 20th April 2017, 22:09
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1977

American Forces Network, AFN, around Japan.Voice of America got interfered with too much by the Russians. Deep sea it was BBC World Service for me until i got one of those new-fangled cassette decks and started carrying my own music.
I remember listening to Radio Luxemburg off the coast of South Africa one night but that was a freak event. Lorenco Marques was better than the local South African stations but they were limited in the music they could play.
It was always annoying in the early days before I got my own radio etc when somebody would take the company supplied radio out the smokeroom for their own selfish use.
Old 20th April 2017, 22:16
BobClay BobClay is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Moving the ship's radio into the smokeroom/bar was very welcome to me as in the early days they put it in the radio room and I was forever running up and down to tune the bloody thing in.
Old 20th April 2017, 22:23
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
I am virtually certain The Voice of the Desert was broadcast from Aramco in Dhahran.
Old 21st April 2017, 14:20
Active: 1968 - 1986

Nearly as bad as the people removing the company radio from the smokeroom was the buggers who stole the latest edition of London Calling.
Old 22nd April 2017, 17:12
Active: 1966 - 1986

Somewhere I have tapes of Desert Radio.
Only problem I do not have a tape player any more.
(Never had that trouble with the Magna Charta !)
Old 23rd April 2017, 15:36
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1994

Came across an old Eddystone at a carboot recently,almost bought it for old times sake
Old 24th April 2017, 16:44
Active: 1955 - 1962

I was always led to believe when going through the Medi that Voice of the Desert was VOA station at Tripoli Lybia.

I dug out my old Pye (Cambridge) SW radio a few months ago only to find audio very weak. I can get a 'volume' tube ( UK Valve) from a place in Cleveland, but eventually decided against it...I'll never listen to it again. I live in a Rancher (like a bungalow) and I'm darned if I'm going to sling an antenna up the nearest 100' fir tree.

I'll put it back in it's home made carrying case I made in 1960 and store it back in the basement. I'll let my family eventually take it to the dump, I do not have the heart to do it.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sovereign 1960, me in cabin.jpg (168.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 25th April 2017, 12:35

My location
That is a fine photo, Graham. I have a similar one somewhere.
Old 30th April 2017, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
I was always led to believe when going through the Medi that Voice of the Desert was VOA station at Tripoli Lybia.

I dug out my old Pye (Cambridge) SW radio a few months ago only to find audio very weak. I can get a 'volume' tube ( UK Valve) from a place in Cleveland, but eventually decided against it...I'll never listen to it again. I live in a Rancher (like a bungalow) and I'm darned if I'm going to sling an antenna up the nearest 100' fir tree.

I'll put it back in it's home made carrying case I made in 1960 and store it back in the basement. I'll let my family eventually take it to the dump, I do not have the heart to do it.

Graham

A couple of months ago I finally chucked out my old JVC 9 waveband radio bought in Aden in 1971 or thereabouts. The only waveband still working was VHF, and it had long ago been relegated to the garage anyway. When it got to the state of only working after extensive fiddling with the volume control, it had to go.