Moving files from PC to Mac - Ships Nostalgia
10:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Moving files from PC to Mac

User Tag List

Old 21st April 2017, 03:55

Moving files from PC to Mac

Hi All,
I have just bought myself a new Apple iMac computer.
Now I am faced with the task of moving all my files and photos from the old PC to the new Mac.
I won't be able to move my MS Office files until I install Office for Mac on the new machine. So that's some more expense.
Has anyone ever bought an online download of this program, as compared to going to a shop and buying it on a disc? Online is cheaper. However the new Mac does not have a CD/DVD burner, and I can't live without it, so yet more expense.
Any advise from others who were faced with the same problems would be appreciated.
Very excited to be moving to an Apple, and goodby Windows. I fought off W10, and kept to W7 until buying the new computer.
Old 21st April 2017, 05:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

This may help

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201553
Old 21st April 2017, 08:21
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Hi All,
I have just bought myself a new Apple iMac computer.
Now I am faced with the task of moving all my files and photos from the old PC to the new Mac.
I won't be able to move my MS Office files until I install Office for Mac on the new machine. So that's some more expense.
Has anyone ever bought an online download of this program, as compared to going to a shop and buying it on a disc? Online is cheaper. However the new Mac does not have a CD/DVD burner, and I can't live without it, so yet more expense.
Any advise from others who were faced with the same problems would be appreciated.
Very excited to be moving to an Apple, and goodby Windows. I fought off W10, and kept to W7 until buying the new computer.
You can buy a CD/DVD USB player for, on average 10 to 20 and simply plug it into one of the USB ports in the back of your Mac. Buy one that is USB powered - they are less hassle since they don't need a power supply.

Where files such as photos are concerned, simply copy them onto a USB thumb drive, plug it into the Mac, and copy them across to a new Mac folder. The applications that come with Macs will deal with most photo formats.

For MS Office files, you can download Open Office for Mac (https://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/). It's freeware, and it opens Windows files just fine. It will also open files in other word processing formats that MS Office won't touch, and it has all of the various functions (spreadsheets, Power Point, etc). Once again, copy your files onto a USB thumb drive and plug it into your Mac.

I have a 27inch Mac and two Windows machines, all connected via my Ethernet LAN. I do this copying files etc between my Mac and the Windows machines virtually every day. It's easy!

You might even consider keeping the Windows machine and setting up a LAN to your Mac (assuming that the Windows one has an Ethernet port). If you have Broadband it is possible that your router has an inbuilt Ethernet switch (many of them do have nowadays), in which case all you need are two Ethernet cables that cost peanuts. Then simply plug one into each computer and to the router.

Then you would be able to see all of your Windows files on your Mac and, as I do, copy files back and forth to your heart's content with a mouse click! The advantage of that is that there are many applications in Windows that are not available for Macs, so you retain all of that functionality at minimal cost.

Best of luck!
Old 21st April 2017, 08:38

I have used the Belkin Switch to Mac cable which worked well at the time.
I have not tried it recently so it may not work with newer OS.
But worth a look.
http://www.belkin.com/pyramid/docume...tch-to-Mac.pdf
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:37

Many thanks for your good advise guys. Everything is beginning to come together.
As my PC already has an Ethernet cable to the modem, I will use that first by connecting it to the iMac and see if it works.
I can't believe the difference in price between an Apple burner and other makes!!. Also I never knew about Open Office. I'll use it.
I'll let you know how it has progressed. I can see that I'll have both computers on my desk until I'm confident with the iMac.
Old Yesterday, 14:14
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Many thanks for your good advise guys. Everything is beginning to come together.
As my PC already has an Ethernet cable to the modem, I will use that first by connecting it to the iMac and see if it works.
I can't believe the difference in price between an Apple burner and other makes!!. Also I never knew about Open Office. I'll use it.
I'll let you know how it has progressed. I can see that I'll have both computers on my desk until I'm confident with the iMac.
When you connect your Mac and your Windows PC to the Ethernet switch, click on "Network" on the Mac menu bar (top LH). Your Windows PC should show up as whatever you called it, or simply its internal designation if you haven't named it (generally an alphanumeric code). On the Mac a screen page should appear with the name of the PC at the top. In the top RH corner you will see a button labelled "Connect as". Click on that and you should be good to go!

The only problem that you might have is that you don't have "Sharing" turned on on the PC. In that case select "Control panel" and click on "Network & sharing". Then select "Advanced sharing settings". Now you will receive a page headed "Sharing options". There select "Turn on network discovery" and make sure that "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices" is ticked. Scroll down to "File & printer sharing" and select "Turn on file & printer sharing", then scroll to "Homegroup connections" and tick "Allow Windows to manage Homegroup connections"

In most versions of Windows you might need to select some folders and instruct the PC to share them with the Mac. To do that, right click on the folder you want to share and click on "Share with" on the page that opens, then select "Homegroup". So, for example, if you have a folder called "Family photographs", right click on it and follow the above.

This should work with most versions of Windows, although the terminology might vary a little (but not enough to obscure the meaning in spite of the best efforts of Microsoft!).

Good luck!
Old Yesterday, 14:48
Active: 1962 - 1964

I recently replaced the old Vaio laptop and really wasn't sure whether to remain with MS, go Mac or use Linux on the existing machine.
All my old Contacts, Calendar and emails are on an Outlook .pst file and, although Crossover provides emulation to run MS on Linux, I couldn't get the 'Outlook Today' page to display just right.
A colleague who is very pro Linux mentioned that he thought that the latest Win10 was very stable so I decided to buy a PC laptop which is working well. I bought Office online and downloaded and installed it.

I then took time to install Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon on the old Vaio which now runs much faster and, at a pinch, now think I could have lived with the 'Outlook Today' page failing to display perfectly and saved quite a bit of dosh.

Like you, I also considered MS Office for Mac and also dual boot Windows on a Mac using Mac's 'Bootcamp' software, which works very well; did it on younger daughter's Mac with Win7. It's limited to one other OS.

Another consideration was compatibility with our desktop which, when it comes up for replacement, I'll probably build and install Win10.
My Gurus recommend Novatech for hardware and softwaregeeks.co.uk for software.
(NB: MS Office from softwaregeeks is an OEM copy and had to be registered via the telephone system since the Product Key didn't work. Softwaregeeks do mention this possibility.)