Bibby Line - Ships Nostalgia
10:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bibby Line

User Tag List

Old 8th June 2006, 18:09

Bibby Line

Hi everybody,

I started on this site not too long ago, mainly looking at the Brocks entries as I served my time with them and that site is particularly strong. One thing surprises me though is that there does not seem to be any Bibby Line members or not owning up anyway.
Is there anybody out there who was with Bibby, I sailed with them 1968 to 1973 or thereabouts.

Rgds

DerekT
Old 9th June 2006, 10:29

My location
Bibbys

Hi, I started with Bibbys as deckboy on the Hampshire and then the Devonshire in 78. Quite a few of those lads ended up lost on the Derbyshire. Often think how the decision to leave may have saved my life. I had even tried getting back to Bibbys when work was hard to come by but they turned bandit on me and just wouldnt give me a start.
Old 9th June 2006, 13:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1971

Hi Derek
Iwas on Herefordshire, Wiltshire and Yorkshire during 68 - 70 as AB or QM/AB.

Regards
Stuart
Old 9th June 2006, 22:10

Bibby Line

Hi LEEJ and Stuart,

Well its good to know there are some Bibby liners out there, I started in Bibbs as 3/0 on Shropshire, then Gloucestershire, but my favourite time was on the Toronto City and Coventry City, some great ports and runs all over the place. We also had a couple of really good football teams on those two ships and upheld the pride of the merch many times. Unfortunately my memory of the names of the guys I sailed with on those ships has slipped away.
Yes I have sometimes thought about Derbyshire and knew or sailed with some of the people on board, and I too have often wondered if I might have been on that ship if I hadn't left in 73, as all my latter time was spent on the bulkers.

Brgds
DerekT
Old 9th June 2006, 22:34

DerekT. See picture gallery & enter Toronto City! You will see Her launch in Sunderland. Legend has it my Father built Her...............With the help of a few others.
Old 20th June 2006, 02:09
Active: 1989 - Present

Red face

Hi there
One more Bibby Liner here! Joined as Gadget 1989, 3/O 1992 - 1995 (Lincolnshire, Staffordshire, Cheshire, also Baltic Eider and Baltic Tern for AWSL, and Belard for IoMSP/Manin Line), 2/O 1995 - 1997 (Cheshire, Staffordshire, Belard, Baltic Eider, Baltic Tern), C/O 1997 - 2000 (Staffordshire, Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire, Eupen for Exmar and Steven N).

Left 2000 to go work on a 5 Star cruise ship!

All the best

Alick

Forgot the unforgettable Shropshire (Jap built Chem Tanker) as Gadget. Tut tut....

Last edited by al mac; 21st June 2006 at 04:11.. Reason: Omitted ship!
Old 20th June 2006, 13:44

Does anyone remember a Bibby Line Purser called Leather (lived in Childwall, Liverpool)?

John T.
Old 20th June 2006, 19:15

Bibby Line

I joined the Worcestershire in Tilbury for my first trip to sea in June 1960 and then the Shropshire.
The Wocestershire had a long life even after being torpedoed and repaired, a very strong Fairfields ship.
Her engines were originally blast injection but were converted to the archalouf system and had many dreary hours freeing the gas pistons.
Old 5th July 2006, 09:55
Active: 1960 - 1967

Bibby Line Personnel

I went to sea with Brocklebanks as a deck apprentice in 1961 and one of my school friends John Hogarth served his time with PSNC moving on to Bibby Line.
Lost touch with him, but think he stayed with Bibby for many years. Any sightings?
Old 6th July 2006, 11:16

Bibby's

Hi to everyone,

My brother John Scully sailed with Bibby on the Devonshire in 1983, he was on that trip with Freddie Brown, anyone remember John or Freddie?.
Nigel Malpass also sailed with Bibby, a very kind man, he sailed on Devonshire in 83 also, he was the Master but he also sailed on a number of other ships for Bibby.
All the best,

Tracey.
Old 6th July 2006, 12:46
Active: 1989 - Present

Hi Tracey

Just a wee update for you, Nigel Malpass went on to be the MD for Bibby (Isle of Man). After Bibby's went offshore in '84, everyone was reemployed through this Isle of Man company. I joined Biby's in 1989, and up until i left in 2000, he was still there going strong.

Alick
Old 6th July 2006, 13:32

Bibby

Hi Alick,

Thank you for the info.
I made contact with Nigel in 2002 and have kept in contact.
He and his wife Gill started their own business a little while back. He was very kind in supplying me with a lot of information I needed, I found him to be a very genuine man who helped me such a lot.

Kind regards,

Tracey.
Old 6th July 2006, 16:34
Géricault walks on water

Hi Tracey,
Since we spoke about Bibby's I thought I'd post the photos for you. Perhaps you can supply the details...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Scully 2 sn.jpg (33.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg John Scully 3 sn.jpg (29.5 KB, 271 views)
Old 6th July 2006, 18:28

Bibby

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting the photo's on the Bibby thread.
The above photo's posted by Richard on my behalf are of my brother John Scully when he was on the Devonshire in 1983 (later renamed the Hemera). Does anyone remember him or Freddie Brown from this ship. The last I heard of Freddie he was living in Liverpool but I've yet to find him after searching for years.
I have the crew list for the Devonshire for the time John was on board and I haven't found one person from it.
Devonshire was the only ship John sailed on for Bibby but he sailed on quite a few for BP and also Luxor, Harpalycus, Empress of England the Roland and Tectus.
He celebrated his 32nd birthday on Devonshire in June 83 and he mentions in a letter home a John Brown who was on board, (no relation to Freddie).
Hoping to hear from anyone who may have sailed on Devonshire at the time John was on board or from anyone who may have sailed on the other ships and from anyone who may remember Freddie who was CPO on Devonshire in 83.
The Master on Devonshire at the time was Paul Askew who had taken over from Nigel Malpass wo'd left to bring in another ship for Bibby. Some time after 83 Paul Askew left by mutual agreement with Bibby I believe.

Kind regards,

Tracey.
Old 26th July 2006, 10:55
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,

Found this old piccie of the Coventry City 1966:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coventry City1966-a (Medium).jpg (35.1 KB, 264 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 26th July 2006, 17:35

Hi Derek T,
When were you with Brocks and what ships were you on. I was with them from 1957 - 61, also Deck Apprentice & 4/o.
Tony Greenwood
Old 24th September 2006, 20:23
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1975 - 1985

Geoff Valentine

Sailed with Bibby Line from 1975 until 1985 as Radio Officer on the following
vessels:

Ocean Bridge / Dart America / Berkshire / Lancashire [cargo] / Lincolnshire
Hampshire / Devonshire / Staffordshire / and lastly the good old Wiltshire.

Really enjoyed my time at sea, pity one cannot turn the clock back.
Old 26th September 2006, 12:48

My location
Hi guys

Seems about time we had a Bibby Line Forum. I joined in March 68 and left in April 1970. Voyage details below.

Staffordshire 25 mar 68 to 08 apr 68, Tilbury to Liverpool as 3rd Mate
Herefordshire 02 may 68 to 24 May 68 Tilbury to Liverpool as 3rd Mate
Pacific Bridge 14 jun 68 to 13 oct 68 Rotterdam to Rotterdam as 3rd mate
Pacific Bridge 14 oct 68 to 25 nov 69 Rotterdam to Amsterdam as 2nd Mate
Atlantic Bridge 01 mar 69 to 20 aug 69 Amsterdam to Rotterdam as 2nd Mate
Yorkshire 08 dec 69 to 21 mar 70 Birkenhead to Birkenhead (CSAV) as 2nd Mate.
Shropshire 24 mar 70 to 13 apr 70 Rotterdam to Birkenhead CSAV Coast) as 2nd Mate.

I joined primarly because of my bulk carrier experiance, good trips they were with good people but finished up with a trip to South America because a BoT examiner could not add up. Not that I minded it was another intresting voyage with goo memories to places I had not been before. It was nice to do a bit of general cargo which I had not done since leaving Brocks.

If any one has any memories of these ships during the times I was on them I would be delghted to here from them.

Michael Meredith
Old 29th September 2006, 10:05

Hi Everyone,

After searching for Freddie Brown for a very long time, I have now found him. It has been with the help and encouragement from people on the many MN sites I have posted messages on that I have been able to do this and I would like to thank Richard for posting the photies of John on here for me and for all his encouragement when I felt like giving up. You're a star Richard!

Best wishes to all,

Tracey.
Old 1st October 2006, 16:10
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1950 - 1961

Smile Old Bibby Line!

Hello, I commenced my seagoing career with the Bibby Line as a very junior and young R/O, actually sailing for Korea on my 17th birthday 12 October 1950 on the trooper Lancashire. Then did three trips on the Cheshire to Australia, before joining the Lancashire again after getting my first class ticket. Ended up deep sea as 2R/O on the old Derbyshire with the great Frank Bardy as my chief. I left to join Brocklebanks in early 1954. Can't say i particularly enjoyed my time with Bibbys, there were only a few ships and quite a few of the senior staff in the deck department felt that time was slipping by before they got commands, although I understand things changed dramatically later on and they the company was still going strong when Brocks finished. Don't suppose anyone will remember me! Regards, Roger Bentley
Old 3rd October 2006, 15:40
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Never sailed with Bibby's but could have i suppose, i was in the TS INDEFATIGABLE when Frank Bibby used to come to visit the school(one of the main sponsors) he used to always speak to the ships company and end by asking "and how many of you will be joining Bibby Line? three? two? one? aah well maybe next time" don't know if any of us did leave and join the Bibby
Old 16th February 2007, 03:20
Keith Adams
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
Hello again to Jim Barnes! ...you helped me in the past and perhaps you can help now... How do we get a Bibby Line, and for that matter a PSNC, Harrison and Canadian Pacific included in the listing instead of having to go to other ships? They were major lines and should have a place of their own and not lumped with 'Other"!
I don't yet know enough to get them listed... help! Snowy
Old 17th February 2007, 08:40
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Toronto City

Ahoy,
For all you Bibby's,here the TORONTO CITY 1966,she looked good to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TORONTO CITY1966 (Medium).jpg (64.2 KB, 188 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 18th February 2007, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Hello again to Jim Barnes! ...you helped me in the past and perhaps you can help now... How do we get a Bibby Line, and for that matter a PSNC, Harrison and Canadian Pacific included in the listing instead of having to go to other ships? They were major lines and should have a place of their own and not lumped with 'Other"!
I don't yet know enough to get them listed... help! Snowy

hello Snowy, thanks for your interest, my PM was in relation to above query. regards Ken
Old 2nd March 2007, 06:15
Active: 1966 - 1986

My location
Hi all,
served my time as Deck cadet with Bibbys from 66 to 71. My last trip was on the Rangoon run when Captain Sheldrake died and we buried him at sea, his wife was sailing with him at he time. I seemed to spend most of my time on the Rangoon run so I left to go 'on the Pool' for a more exciting time - and I got it!(Bill Fooley - christened me senior Rangoon Cadet and it stuck!!)
Ships included Glouscestershre. Herefordshire, Staffordshire, Yorkshire, Warwickshre and Lancashire.

Dick