Wallace Rose - Ships Nostalgia
15:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Wallace Rose

User Tag List

Old 10th September 2010, 21:59

Wallace Rose

I am trying to find out some information on the Wallace Rose. She was in a collison in the Thames with the Swedish motor vessel Yvonne in 1954 and sank. Would anyone know if there were any casualties?.
Old 11th September 2010, 10:21

Dorrien,morning.In the book Mersey Rovers by R.S.Fenton,there is no mention of any casualties on the Wallace Rose after her collision with the Yvonne.Ted
Old 11th September 2010, 11:44
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

From the Times dated Wednesday, January, 27, 1954

COLLIER SUNK IN THAMES
EIGHT MEN MISSING AFTER COLLISION
Wednesday, Jan 27, 1954
A British collier, the Wallace Rose (632 tons), sank in the Thames off Erith, Kent, last night after being in collision with a Swedish vessel, the Yvonne (4,138 tons). Two survivors from the collier were picked up by the Yvonne, but eight of the crew are missing.
The collier was going down river on the Essex side and the Swedish ship was coming up. The night was clear, with no trace of fog. The collier sank almost immediately, leaving no trace on the surface. Early this morning the position of the wreck was ascertained.
The Yvonne proceeded to Gravesend after the collision which occurred at about 9 pm. River police searched for survivors. A wreckship with its green warning light took up position at the spot where the collision occurred.
The two survivors picked up by the Yvonne were William Cleary aged 35 boatswain of Stella Gardens, Dublin, and Jackson Abokie, aged 45, a coloured deckhand, of Bridson Street, Liverpool. Both were suffering from the effects of immersion, but their condition was not serious.
The Wallace Rose was registered at Liverpool and owned by Hughes Holden Shipping, Ltd, of Swansea. She was built in 1931. She was sailing from Cannes to the Thames with a load of (s)lag'. Her skipper was Captain McCourt, an Irishman. The collier traded between Swansea and other British ports and was also in a regular coal run to France.
The Yvonne is owned by Rederi A/B Disa and registered at Stockholm. She was built in 1945 at Gothenburg.

Captain McCourt was awarded the DSC during Operation Neptune while on WALLACE ROSE in 1944. http://www.mercantilemarine.org/showthread.php?t=3235

Regards
Paid it in full”
Old 11th September 2010, 15:38

pictures of Wallace Rose before and after collision on www.photoship.co.uk
Old 11th September 2010, 19:29

Thank you all for your information . Captain MC COURT was from Newry in Co Down N Ireland .
all the best
Tommy
Old 11th September 2010, 19:37

Wallace Rose used to load granite at Penmaenmawr, N Wales pre WW2 - saw her several times !
Old 10th November 2010, 10:39

Patrick Connolly, my grandfather (never knew him) was aboard Wallace Rose, as was a Robert Costello (Balbriggan). My grandfather lived in Stella Gardens, Irishtown, Dublin and was aged 60 at the time. Another man, also from Stella Gardens was William Cleary who survived. My mother told me that Jackson Abokie was killed a year later in a road accident, but I cannot confirm this. My grandfather's body was not found for about 10 weeks - he was the father of 11 children. Newpaper cuttings of the time said he worked on the sister ship the Moelfre Rose, until the previous October (1953), when she was sent for repairs to South Shields. The ship was on its way from Cannes, France and was carrying coalslag when it was hit by the Yvonne. Other names mentioned in the newspapers at the time were John Flett (61), a native of Scotland, James Ball, probably also a deckhand, the engineer Daniel P Dooge and of course, Captain Leo McCourt.

Last edited by PKM; 10th November 2010 at 10:47..
Old 1st April 2015, 21:45

Hello @PKM. Patrick Connolly was my great grandfather, small world. My Dad has often told us the story of The Wallace Rose and how Patrick wasn't found for weeks. We were looking up information on the ship tonight and came across your post. It would be great to make a connection with you.