Ships Nostalgia banner

Karanja

35K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  sureshsyed 
#1 ·
I lived in Durban in early 1970's and used to see Karanja coming in. Can anyone tell me her run at that time .thanks

#5 ·
I also sailed on Karanja/MACS as 2nd R/O in February 1956 after spells on Palamcottta, Dara then Itaura and Orna. Karanja was BI commodore ship at that time and Nobby Clarke was Chief R/O. Left Karanja and flew by DC3 from
Bombay to Karachi to join Itaura, still on Karanja Articles but also on new set of Itaura Articles, so on 2 sets of ships Articles in two different Countries as Marconi would not let you be unemployed on the "Coast" in case you decided
to try and get home!! Received the BI Centenary Medal in Adelaide whilst on the Orna, reckon the BI Magazine that month was best ever but mislaid my copy worst luck
Regards Ern Barrett

#21 ·
Peter Glass

Excuse me crashing in - a heavy contributor of the Bankline section - but a pal called Peter Glass was a BI stalwart around this time. Anyone have memories of him?

Karanja was often in Mombasa and down the East Coast of Africa when I was plodding around in the Bankline in the 50's. Can tell you she looked a million dollars compared to our existance, and I was usually envious!

Cheers / Alan rawlinson

#7 ·
Best thing I remember about Nobby on the Karanja, he made a dealthat if I fixed this new fangled thing called a radar when it broke down he would let me go down to the dance and he would do the first part of my watch. If I remeber it was a Radiolocator Mk2 Modified and had about 600 valves in it , was later replaced by a Mk4. Nobby loved the "Cape Smoke" when he went ashore in Durban!!
Ern Barrett

#8 ·
"S.S.KARANJA"-Memories of another era and age.

I migrated from Mombasa to India in 1968 by "S,S.Karanja" as my dad Late Mr Louis.J.Furtado worked for "B.I", based in Mombasa as "Cargo Supervisor".
"S.S.Karanja" holds nostalgic chilhood memories as we always travelled to and from Mombasa-India on her, with a live orchestra, movies, tambola and "Wooden horse-racing" being the entertainment on board.
With the closure of "B.I", "S.S.Karanja" was purchased by "Shipping Corporation of India" and renamed "S.S.Nandcowrie" plying on the Bombay- Andaman Island coastal route.

#13 ·
I migrated from Mombasa to India in 1968 by "S,S.Karanja" as my dad Late Mr Louis.J.Furtado worked for "B.I", based in Mombasa as "Cargo Supervisor".
"S.S.Karanja" holds nostalgic chilhood memories as we always travelled to and from Mombasa-India on her, with a live orchestra, movies, tambola and "Wooden horse-racing" being the entertainment on board.
With the closure of "B.I", "S.S.Karanja" was purchased by "Shipping Corporation of India" and renamed "S.S.Nandcowrie" plying on the Bombay- Andaman Island coastal route.
I too have beautiful nostalgic childhood memories of my magical moments spent sailing up and down the Indian Ocean on s.s. Karanja, Beira - Seychelles 1959 - 1966. I loved the games room, playing table tennis and ending up losing so many ping pong balls over board. I also loved exploring the entire ship and being given ice-cream by the crew... who knows, we may have rubbed shoulders on board !!

#9 ·
MR Furtado,

I quite distinctly rememeber you father as a cargo supervisor, who travelled from Mombasa coastwise with us on Kenya, with if I remember correctly two tally clerks,also employed by Smith Mackenzie, not least for presenting me with a mountain of Mates' Receipts to sign in the last half hour before sailing!.Please give him my best wishes.

Tom Kelso (Kenya : 1/0, '58~60, and C/O,'62~67)

#10 ·
"Karanja"- reply to Tom.Kelso. Another era another time.

Dear Tom,
Nice of you to have remembered my father after all these years ,since in shipping unlike shore establishments one comes across various acquaintainces, working colleagues and shore friends on various ships and voyages.
My father Louis expired on 15/8/07 at the grand age of 83, a pensioner of "Mackinon Mackenzie", a pitiable pension which he cherished along with thesailing memories . Mr Chetham, scotsman by descent was dad's boss in Mombasa and as you said there were always two "cargo Supervisors" on each ship, all Indians,serving in the same company for years. I have a classic antique group photograph of Mr Chetham(Boss) and dad's colleagues, something unimaginable in the shipping industry of the 21st century where jobs have become redundant as well as the work patterns have altered.
As they say, only change is permenant, the rest is temporary.

#11 ·
Rudolph,

Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing away. The other Cargo Supervisor that I remember who did the "coastal run" to Durban and back from Mombasa, was Mr Contractor. I think he was already very near to retiring when I last saw him about 1970. And, of course, I remember Mike Chetham very well. Charles Mallet who was Smith Mackenzie's man in Dar in those days still keeps me up to date with other SM men in their retirement..

Regards

Tom

#12 ·
Sir,
Since you mentioned Mr Homi Contractor, my late dad Louis Furtado's colleague i decided to just inform you regarding his demise in the 1980's of "Old-Age".
He died a bachelor and was partially instrumental in creating an interest for my hobby "STOCK MARKET TRADING AND INVESTMENT" since he always talked "Market Jargon" whenever he visited our residence in Mumbai. With age and money a "Hobby" gradually became a source of "SELF CREATED WEALTH" inclusive of the "BEARS" and "BULLS" phases akin to "ROUGH SEAS AND HECTIC ENGINE DUTY".
Ultimately,Life itself is a big gamble.

#19 ·
So very true Rudolph ...... i love your choice of words which i find so very touching and which brings a lump to one's throat. I continue to try to capture the little magic moments that passes my way during my every day activities, with a clear mind that is also free of all confusions....i continue to allow the child in me to come out to play, the simplicity of life gives me focus, light becomes sharper, as dawn breaks over a calm ocean, sounds become richer like the humming of Karanja's engine (heart and soul of the ship ) and i wonder ..... Has time really gone by ?

#20 ·
Hi Rita! My name iis Sagar and I'm a new member! I was born In Nairobi kenya. My father workrd with East Afican Railways and Harbours. We used to sail to India during his long leave after every four years. I have vivid memories of my voyages especially S S Amra & S S Karanja.I wonder if they sell some old scale ship models of these ships. Would love to have one! We came to live in india in 196 ehen my dad retired after 39 years of service in East Africa. I left from England in 1968 and have come back to retire in inda after qlmowt 33 years. So I am tracing back some stories of those memorable journies and to share my love for the Indian Ocean!
Take care. Hope to hear from you.

#27 ·
Rajula was built at Barclay Curle, Glasgow in 1926 and broken up in Bombay in 1974 - an extremely long working life. Her sister ship was Rohna which was lost in the Second World War.

Karanja was built in 1948 by Alexander Stephen and Sons at their Govan yard. Her only sister ship was Kampala where I served as third mate in 1961/62.

#26 ·
Mike,
I have wonderful memories of the Seychelles. Went down from Bombay and back on the K boats in the mid 50s for six month leave. Stayed at the Pirates Arms in Victoria, a corrugated iron structure, managed by an English woman who spoke Creole. She tried to protect the chastity of her maids. with mixed results.

Praslin is a more beautiful island and there I stayed with a French planter. Prince Phillip called at Victoria in the Britannia without the Queen. Shore leave was allowed and I was on the dock with half the island when she left. Phillip's parting words were "Tie a knot in it Sharky." Loud laughter and cheers from all except the not very popular Commissioner who was heard to ask an aide, "What on earth does he mean.

#28 ·
Wonderful Seychelles.

My brother K C Smith was chief with the BI for a long time. I went out to do a job for the defense force in 2001 to Victoria. The pirate arms was still there and I ate some great tuna steaks there. I came home with one of those coco de mer shells which caused me quite a problem in Portland OR airport. I think KC was on the Kampala and Karanja. He passed away I Scotland dec. 27 2013

#32 ·
I believe the Rajula had the honour of being the largest carrier of passengers in her day, she was on the India/Malaya/Singapore run when I was with B.I, although most of her passengers were of the "Deck" variety. Believe the most hated B.I ship was the Amra on the Karachi/Chittagong run with only a stop for
bunkers at Colombo, also the only B.I. jazz to sink in drydock whilst undergoing
repairs in Kowloon Dock.
Ern Barrett