Ships Nostalgia banner

MV Devis.

12K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Mike Spenser. 
#1 ·
Anyone remember the MV Devis?. She had a funny configuration with the wheel house set in the funnel. I was SOS on her in 1958. Good times in Rio and BA.

#2 ·
MV Devis

Hi Tony , (Wave)

The Defoe and the Debret where the ones I knew with that configeration, I worked on them in the 60s. However Devis I believed went back to Blue Star Line and was the Oakland Star. I was in Receife on the Rubens when Debret caught fire.

If you go to the below site, they are all there, with their history.

http://www.bluestarline.org/lamports/ships_lamport.html

Kind regards

Chris.

#3 ·
Devis

Hi Chris
Thanks for the info. I am compiling a journal of the 21 ships I sailed on and some information is hard to come by. I have photos of all the ships.
The Devis was a happy ship. I only did one trip on her in 1958 but it was my first time to Rio and BA and I remember it all very well. I will follow up on your info and let you know how I go

Regards

Tony

#4 ·
tonyc3 said:
Anyone remember the MV Devis?. She had a funny configuration with the wheel house set in the funnel. I was SOS on her in 1958. Good times in Rio and BA.
I had a great time on the old Devis, and Debrett. I agree about the good times in BA and Rio - and what about Recife (say no more) - Santos, and my favourite, Monte.
Dirty, hardworking, and HAPPY ships!

#5 ·
tonyc3 said:
Ahoy Tony,
Are you lookig for this one:
Photo by courtesy of our member @rhiw:

Attachments

#6 ·
MV Devis

Happy ships and happy days indeed.

I must say I enjoyed all the ports on the east coast of South America. There was a particularly good eating house in Port Allegre called the Taverno Gaucho ( thinks thats how you spelt it )

They served the best steaks in South America. Steaks on swords, steaks on daggers, I'm getting hungry just remembering them. Washed down with a good wine or if you prefered a rum and coke. Fantastic eating.

Then the fun ports of Santos, Receife, Bahia, even Rio if you got there for Carnival time.

There were the little timber ports of Itajai and San Fancisco Do Sul and Rio Grande Do Sul.

I would love to see them all again.

Chris. (Fly)

#7 ·
Santos said:
Happy ships and happy days indeed.

I must say I enjoyed all the ports on the east coast of South America. There was a particularly good eating house in Port Allegre called the Taverno Gaucho ( thinks thats how you spelt it )

They served the best steaks in South America. Steaks on swords, steaks on daggers, I'm getting hungry just remembering them. Washed down with a good wine or if you prefered a rum and coke. Fantastic eating.

Then the fun ports of Santos, Receife, Bahia, even Rio if you got there for Carnival time.

There were the little timber ports of Itajai and San Fancisco Do Sul and Rio Grande Do Sul.

I would love to see them all again.

Chris. (Fly)
How about the Lighthouse Bar in Monte????????

#9 ·
I was on the Dryden in '67 I think, it was I was AB. the Capt was Mylcrest and the C/O was Jones, he fell off the hold ladder and broke both his ankles wee brought him home in crutches , he used to hoble round the deck , my buudie on there was a Greaser Tony McCoy who lived in Maghull.
most of deck crew were Liverpool, We played the field and did not get asked back, Happy days,
Argyll

#12 · (Edited)
The "DEVIS", named after that famous artist, I think there were several artists on her (if you know what I mean!) I did 2 trips in 1958 and 4 trips in 1959/60 as cadet under Cpt MacNeil, the Mate was Ronnie Brownbill, who became Master of the Siddons 3 (later reverting back to the VERAS for BOOTH Line) on the New York/Brasil run, of which I was 3rd Mate.
Devis was a great ship with a great crowd, predominately scousers, the only problem was once you got to BA, with as much as 3weeks alongside it got a bit expensive for us poor middies to go ashore every night, but still managed to get up to 25th de Mayo & Helen's Bar etc.Happy times.

#13 ·
I wish I'd seen these posts a couple of years ago when they were "live" - I'm probably talking to myself now. It's great to see that no one seems to have a bad word about the Devis. I did two trips on her in 1966/67 before going off with Maggie Booth on the Viajero and the Amazon run. The Devis was without a doubt the happiest and most enjoyable experience. I was only a junior engineer and that three pistons per cylinder huge B&W was an absolute *****, especially when your job was cleaning fuel valves. But we had great fun and those ports (BA, Monte, Rio Grande do Sul etc) all bring back the greatest of memories.

#14 ·
Hi, Mike, - I too was a junior eng. on the D boats. Remember the bloody steam winches?? I had to look after them in port, when the dockers used to wind the steam valve full open and control the winch with the reversing lever, with often disastrous results..... And crawling along the middles at the back to get the lower exhaust temps. Scavenge fires were a regular occurance on the Debrett, resulting in breakup of the piston rings - bits of ring lay around the scavenge ports like potato chips, and I remember once at Las Palmas we couldn't start the engine due to lack of compression.
Happy days though, as we looked forward to a run ashore in Itajai or Monte (remember the Lighthouse bar, wonder if it's still there?) As you say, great memories, and I think my happiest time at sea, though I didn't realise that at the time when I was bilge-diving...

#15 ·
Know my dad?

Hello! My dad worked as an engineer on the devis in the late 60s. Does anyone remember Brian Cassidy from liverpool? I am trying to collate info on the devis for him. My stepfather is an officer in the navy.i've done a lot of work on offshore rigs too!

If anyone remembers him or better still has pictures of the devis from that time,i would really appreciate if you could get in touch.

Many thanks. He also worked as engineer (chief) on the rosetti, raeburn and rondard.

#17 ·
Seems to be several thread on here re Booth Line overlapping with Lamport and Holt. In the Forum search box, type in Booth Line or Lamport and Holt.
All you old Lamport and Holt guys might be interested in a book of the company's fleet and history.
You wouldn't believe I picked it up in a second hand book shop in Busselton Western Australia last year.
Its called, 'Lamport and Holt' by P.M.Heaton. Published by The starling Press, Risca, Newport, Gwent.
ISBN O 9507714 6 5 and it sold for 12 pounds in 1986 (I got it for A$15)
I noticed inside the cover it had belonged to some bloke L.W. Turner from Williams in W.A. whom I tried to contact without luck. He might have been ex L + H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.