Ships Nostalgia banner

Captain Bell

10K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jmanderson077 
#1 ·
Trying to trace some history on Captain John Bell, he was my late godfather and would like to hear any stories or see pictures from people who may have sailed with him.

Thanks Phil

#3 ·
Capt John Bell

Thanks Pat,
He was with Manchester Liners and last I recall he past away on the Frontier in 77/78 along side in Manchester. Lived in St Helens. Married with daughter and smoked a pipe, Think he originated from around Shipley Yorkshire. Sorry a bit vague but that is all I have at present.

rgds Phil

#5 ·
I sailed with John Bell back in 1964 when he was 2nd mate of the old Manchester City. It was my first trip to sea and he put me completely at my ease, compared to the old man Capt Rushworth who scared the life out of me and Jock McKay the mate who relieved me of most of my subs in a card school ! (only joking jock) John was a larger than life Yorkshireman who always had a twinkle in his eye and possessed the most battered steaming revvie (cap) I ever knew. I always tried to get mine to look like his but never managed.
I also sailed with him as 2nd mate on his last trip as master of the Frontier on a voyage from Manchester to Malta, Cypress Lebanon and Syria. I'm afraid old John got a bit the worse for drink at times by then as did a lot of us in those days but I could forgive him anything. He was always so good natured. On our return to Manchester he even came down to my cabin to say hello to my wife and two year old son who came on board. A few days later he was gone and I was greatly saddened.

#6 ·
Blake Nelson, ex Bank Line and Manchester Liners passed away in Montreal on 18th. August. He worked with our company in Montreal in the 80,s and 90,s as a very capable cargo superintendent. Unfortunately he left us at the early age of 64. R.I.P. Blake. Colin

#8 ·
John W. Reid

Hi Phil. I sailed with John on the Manchester Commerce & City. I was second Eng. Great time and a lot of fun.
As I understand it, he had to take over as Captain when regrettably Captain Starmmer died during the voyage. (I was not on board), but I beleive it was a promation and experience that John could have done without.
Perhaps if you contacted Manchester Liniers Old Shipmates website you could get a lot more info. JWR

#10 ·
hi i sailed with captain john bell in 1989,he lived in cornwall,and was running his own coaster ,do you think this may be him he smoked a pipe,skinny grey haired ,was the best person i have ever worked for in 29 years of working .he had 2 daughters,he must of just been around 60 in 1989,rip if it is him.i do have photos of him and his vessel ,mv maenporth.

#14 ·
Hi Phil
I met john Bell when I lived in Cornwall and he owned the ship ! It was painted Green at the time
I sailed on the Maenporth as Chief .I flew to Cork and joined her for a voyage to load Aluminium ingots in from Wales ( I think ) then over to Holland " The ingots all moved and we had a pretty bad list " We then loaded animal feed for Spain and the trimmers hatch was leaking badly so I had a new one made before we sailed ..
John Anderson .