Ships Nostalgia banner

engineroom telegraph

15K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Holliboyce 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All.
ship (a) Three island Tramp built 1925, has navigation bridge wheelhouse & compass platform (monkey island) in the wheelhouse is a binnacle-wheel-engine room telegraph, with a docking telegraph on either wing of the flying bridge.

ship(b) Three island Tramp built in 1927, has open bridge ie: no wheelhouse, on the bridge is a binnacle & wheel no engine room telegraph, she also has a docking telegraph on either wing of the flying bridge.
my question is where is the engine room telegraph situated, and how would the o.o.w. or helmsman communicate with the engine room in an emergency.
Regards, Gretaston.

#3 ·
The method of communication was voice pipes to the Engineroom and the Wheelhouse which is below the Navigation Bridge, when it come's to ship b as Barrie has suggested have a closer look. It is not unusual for the Navigation Bridge not to have either Helm or Engineroom Telegraph, certainly on Warships, on the much loved 'Tons'? the orders were communicated from the Navigation Bridge via a voice pipe to the Wheelhouse below which contained the Helm and the Telegraphs, on the larger Warships the Helmsman was in a compartment way down below.
Old Merchant vessel wise it is difficult to say but I would suggest that there was another Helm and the Telegraphs the Deck below what you call the Flying Bridge.

#14 · (Edited)
A friend of mine was 3rd.Mate on an old tramp ship where communication between the bridge and Captains cabin was by voice pipe.
The captain was a "hard to please" character who used to call the bridge multiple times a watch.
My friend got so fed up with this that when he was about to pay off (the Captain was staying on) he filled the voice pipe up with the contents of every ash tray he could find and looked forward to what the results would be!

#4 ·
engine room telegraph

Hello, thank you both for your replies, and except my apologies as it is me that have got it totally wrong, I thought the structure on the lower bridge was the captains quarters, am I right in thinking that it is the wheelhouse & chart room with the captains & maybe the radio officers, quarters at the rear, as I am building a model of TUNISIA 1927-1941 I am happy enough with the general arrangements, but unsure of the layout of the open bridge.
in addition to the photo of TUNISIA & sister ship MARSA I have included a photo of a similar ships bridge layout that I will build if what I have stated above is correct.
Regards,
Gretaston.

Attachments

#8 ·
Tunisia.

Hello All,
I have finished a model of Tunisia and put a few photos on the gallery, I built this ship to the memory of my fathers brother who along with 27 of his shipmates were lost on the 04 august 1941 when Tunisia having some sort of mechanical failure had to drop out of convoy SL.81 freetown-liverpool, whereupon she was located, bombed and sunk by a long range focke wulf 200 condor about 250 miles west of Ireland.

Built 1927 . J.REDHEAD & SONS LTD. yard no, 483.
Owner, LA TUNISIEN STEAM NAVIGATION CO, LTD.
(F.C. STRICK & CO, LTD). SWANSEA.
REG, NO, 143988.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
The large number of views of this thread, by comparison with the number of actual responses, suggests that the nostalgia within us for the sight of a good brass engine-room telegraph (preferably a Chadburn, though a Ray would be equally as good!) generates as least as much enthusiasm as the sight of a square-rigger ever generated in an old shell-back of our fathers' generation!

"A haven of brass and brightwork" (or something very similar) was (I think) how the blessed Doctor Richard Gordon described the wheelhouse of the ss Lotus of the Fathom Line (or Lamport & Holt in a thin disguise) in Doctor At Sea. Here is nostalgia writ large!

A splendid looking model, Gretaston!

Well done - and thank you for starting the thread!

#10 ·
The large number of views of this thread, by comparison with the number of actual responses, suggests that the nostalgia within us for the sight of a good brass engine-room telegraph (preferably a Chadburn, though a Ray would be equally as good!) generates as least as much enthusiasm as the sight of a square-rigger ever generated in an old shell-back of our fathers' generation!

"A haven of brass and brightwork" (or something very similar) was (I think) how the blessed Doctor Richard Gordon described the wheelhouse of the ss Lotus of the Fathom Line (or Lamport & Holt in a thin disguise) in Doctor At Sea. Here is nostalgia writ large!

A splendid looking model, Gretaston!

Well done - and thank you for starting the thread!
Thank you for your kind comments Mr youde I am firmly in the believe that, one volunteer is worth ten pressed men.
Kind Regards,
Gretaston.

#12 ·
Gretaston that is a lovely model . Looking at the the steering gear . I was ab in a steam tug and a 1928 steam sludge tanker . Both had the same type of steering gear . The tug June 1954 to Dec 1957 . The tanker Oct 1978 to Feb 1979 . Her replacement a diesel tanker Feb 1979 to Jan 1995 . Many happy memories . Regards .
Alex C .

#15 ·

This is unforunate but readily understandable!

It reminds me of the air-crash at Staines in (I think) the early 1970s. It was a large passenger plane, perhaps a Comet - or something similar. In the wreckage there was found some graffiti on the flight-deck, being rude about the Captain (Captain X or Fred Bloggs for present purposes).

The graffiti said, "When Fred Bloggs dies, who will be God's representative at British Airways?"

#16 ·

This is unforunate but readily understandable!

It reminds me of the air-crash at Staines in (I think) the early 1970s. It was a large passenger plane, perhaps a Comet - or something similar. In the wreckage there was found some graffiti on the flight-deck, being rude about the Captain (Captain X or Fred Bloggs for present purposes).

The graffiti said, "When Fred Bloggs dies, who will be God's representative at British Airways?"
I think it was a Trident.

#20 ·
When you rent a car Dubai, you have to make sure to check the status of the vehicle thoroughly before renting it. Most car rental companies in Dubai or Abu Dhabi offer test drives to their customers before they can make up their minds. You must avail of this service and note all the faults of the automobile. Also, do not forget to check if the car has any dents. If you find any, you should notify the company immediately.

#22 ·
re: Barrie Youde keyed: good brass engine-room telegraph (preferably a Chadburn

Growing up 1940s-1950s aboard the Great Lakes ships where my dad was an engineer, the engine order telegraph was known as the Chadburn, since most vessels of the era had this make of ER telegraph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.