Ships Nostalgia banner

Tatem Shipping

25K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  greg mellor 
#1 ·
Any One Got Any News On What Happened To This Shipping Company Thay Used To Trade To Hull For A Long Time Then Just Went Off The Map The Ships Thay Had Where Very Good Looking Ships And Well Looked After Used To Bring Grain From The States Please Post Photos If You Have Any Sam2182sw2

#2 ·
Lord Glanely

Sam I was in this ship of Tatems sometime about 1952 we were tramping all around the place , Sadly the trip after I left her she foundered in the far east somewhere, there was no loss of life though, there is a pic going the rounds somewhere If I come across it I will post it , the Captain was GG Price

#3 ·
I belive the company ceased shipping in the late 60's,but continued in other things,I have some ties with the family,as they bought our lifeboat in 1988 which is a tyne class, and she was called the George gibson,we take the family out on the boat a couple of times a year.George Gibsons grandson bill is now our station president,George gibsons son David still lives in the family house at Exning.

#9 · (Edited)
The Fleet as follows.
APPLEDORE X2,ASHLEIGHX2,BAMPTON,BIDEFORD,BRAUNTON,BRENDON,BUCKLEIGHX2,CHORLEY,CHULMLEIGHX5,CLOUTSHAM,CUTCOMBE,DULVERTON,DUNSTER,EGGSFORDX2,EVERLEIGH,EXFORDX2,EXNING,FILLEIGHX2,GLANLEY,GOODLEIGHX2,HADLEIGH,IDDESLEIGHX2,LADY GLANLEY,LADY LEWISX2,LANDWADE,LORD GLANLEY,MOLTON,MONKLEIGH,MONKTON,NORTHAM,NORTHLEIGH,NOTTON,PAIGNTON,PILTON,QUANTOCK,SHANDONX2,SIR W T LEWIS,SOMERTON,SOUTHPORT,TORRIDGEX2,TORRINGTON,UMBERLEIGH,WELLINGTON,WESTWARD'HO,WINKLEIGHX2,WOODA.

#13 ·
Appledore

Hi...I was sent by the pool to North Sheilds about a job on the Appledore,
she was lying next to the ferry terminal,I took one look and stayed on the
ferry for the return trip,whats puzzling me is I was told she was owned
by a London Greek Company........charter?????

#15 ·
Tatem's had a subsidiary known as Maritime Shipping & Trading Company. In 1942 this company was acquired by 'London Greeks' Michalinos & Co Ltd along with its one ship, the "Appledore". Michalinos kept the company name and also adopted the 'dore' suffix for its fleet. The "Appledore" referred to by Wakaman was built for them in 1953 by William Gray and was sold in 1964 becoming the "Persian Roxana". I will post a photo of her under Tramp Steamers.

#16 ·
hi dave looking back on that i do remember the Appledore SHE WAS TOWED TO hull some years ago it must have been about the time she was sold she laid in the repair berth in ALEX dock. i do some ship reporting for the local news paper in HULL and at the time she was in HULL UNITED TOWING CO sold one of there tugs it was the ENGLISHMAN and changed her name to the CINTRA and it has just brougth it back to me the local press took a photo of her and she was laid along side the APPLEDORE i have that photo and will put it on the log sam

#19 ·
There is a good account of life on Tatem ships in the book"Upon their lawful occasions". By Vernon G. Upton.pub.Matador.2004.Although not a Tatem history it gives a good insight into tramp life in the 30s and 40s and the war at sea.Highly r
ecommended for those interested in such matters.Pierhead Jumper.

#20 ·
In a small book about the Sunderland fire brigade it states that the Tatems "Landwade" was involved in a fire whilst at Greenwells dry dock, with the midships accommodation and bridge affected, the date was Sat 15th April 1967 ,they was 4 fatalities the Captain and his wife and the 3rd Mate and wife. It also said that the ship was due to sail on Monday 17th April and it would have been the Captains last trip before retirement.

#21 ·
Lord Glanely

I was on her in 1953 from April 9th to September11,old GG.Price was capt.He was a wacky old guy,with his three or four stinky cats running around all over the place.We used to steer from the monkey island as we could smoke up there.The ships bond was his,and we could get liquor any time we wanted it,BUT don't ever miss a watch or fail to turn to because you were drunk or hung over. The food wasn't too bad I've had lots worse.

#22 ·
I was in her in '54 as AB
G G Price was not the usual type you'd expect as a Skipper I agree, but he had a fetish about keeping the holds spotless, there was always bags of overtime when we were light ship painting the holds with silverine, they were like silver palaces, he was very liberal with the bond though, He'd give you a bottle of vermouth any time of the day, but you could get all the Gin and brandy you wanted if you could afford it after you finished your watch, did you hear about the apprentice photographing him thro the galley skylight pinching the food from the pots and pans,another trait was taking the vegetables off the second mates plate in the saloon saying you don't look like you want them , what a man! incidently I did make a comment on this ship earlier in this thread. (Hippy)

#23 ·
Lord Glanley
This ship built in 1947 sailed under Paki flag (Gulf Shipping)from 1960 and was scrapped at Gadani Beach in1973,The Tatems Chulmliegh of similar vintage (1946) was the one wrecked in the far east at Lanto near Hong Kong under the name Rugeley the ship was about to be renamed Madura but a typhoon put paid to that plan.date of loss was 10.7.64 ship was later refloated and scrapped at Hong Kong.

#25 · (Edited)
Tatems

I sailed on the Glanely from Glasgow to New Zealand on a Shaw Saville charter from Feb.61 then tramping until April 62, and we did pay off in Hull. Outward bound we stopped at Pitcairn Island and picked up a Family named Young.Aman and wife and son who we took to Wellington for medical treatment. We then went to Albany and loaded wheat (shifting boards,the whole lot.) for North Korea then the Phosphate run Narau Ocean Island to Western Austalia the sugar from Durban to Vancouver and then lumber to Europe. The Old Man was Captain Day and he was the first skipper I sailed with who had the Iron Mike on at night and on weekends. She was an easy ship to work for she had slab htches but no queen beams and ratchet dogs on the topping lifts so she was very handy. I enjoyed her.

#26 ·
'Landwade'

A story was related to me in the early 60s about an incident on subject ship.
Apparently, one of the ABs was a 'card player' frequently entering into games that lasted all night.
On one occasion he could not be woken for his watch and the following day the Master ordered him on the Bridge. On his arrival the Master said xxxxxx ' I am going to log you for two' to which xxxx replied Captain, 'Your two and up two'
to which the Master promptly replied Right! xxxx ' I'll see you for a DR'.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.