Ships Nostalgia banner

Row over Zimbabwe arms shipment (BBC News)

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  SN NewsCaster 
#1 ·
A shipment of arms from China to Zimbabwe remains at Durban harbour after sparking controversy in South Africa.

More from BBC News...

#2 ·
At last...someone takes a stand against this tyrant.
As I spent some considerable period of my life in Rhodesia it breaks my heart to watch it now.
The name Zimbabwe was taken from some ancient ruins in the south of the country. We used to joke that you could visit Rhodesia and see the ruins of Zimbabwe and in the future you could visit Zimbabwe and see the ruins of Rhodesia.
This was a fabulous country with room in the sun for everyone. I and many many other europeans were totally in favour of majority rule and even welcomed Mugabe for the first 10 ten years... but since then he has degenerated into a despot with no feeling for the people that fought so hard to put him in power.
The world will be a better place without him whether it takes a ballot or a bullet.

#4 ·
Corrupt, megalomaniac in charge and malicious intent forecast. That equals more suffering. Good on the SA dockers for striking and refusing to discharge but you can bet your bottom dollar Mugabe is in negotiations with one of the other African countries to get his stuff unloaded.

This is surely a job for the UN isn't it? Have we the balls though? Now that is a question......

Jonty

#6 ·
Spent many years in Rhodesia, went back in 94 to see my sister was shocked at the change, was once a great country. Zimbabwe has no enemy's at its borders so mugabe obviously needs the arms to use on his own people, one has to question China's motives in supplying them. I think the arms will probably get thru, if not Durban then Maputo or Beira, No one appears to want to stand up to him.

#9 ·
No hope for the UN at all while such a large proportion of it's membership is made up of African and other despots.
As for the motives of China.........."Beware of the smile on the face of the Chinee"

I seem to recall that is a line nicked from some poem of long ago.....(POP)

#10 ·
When it comes to selling arms, they are all at it, Americans, English, French, Russians etc...arms dealers dont give a sh*t who they sell to, as long as it makes them rich, if it wasn't for this trade, thousands would be out of work, and some economy,s would take a nose dive....behind closed doors the average Joe Blow wouldn't have a clue what the politicians of their countries are doing, and that's how the politicians like it.
Frank

#11 ·
China is desparate to secure supplies of raw materials for its much vaunted expanding economy. It has done deals with several countries to secure ongoing supplies of essentials such as oil and gas, coal, iron ore and copper. It signed a very long term supply contract not so long ago with the Mugabe regime for copper, at an extremely knock down price. It has a big vested interest in keeping Mugabe, or his designated successors in situ, for at least the length of the contract. What's democracy and human rights when there's mega bucks at stake.
CBoots

#22 ·
Derek, were you thinking that Mike Hoare could sort out this tyranny and ghastly abuse of power, whereby reporters and newscasters across the globe refer to any ship they do not like as a Tanker; or were you referring to this unpleasant old man who seems to cling to power even though he has been shown to be unfit for the job? – Maybe you were hopefull he could eradicate both problems at the same time…
(Thumb)
Mark

#25 ·
When China finally decided to recall the ship taking weapons to Zimbabwe, civil society groups hailed it as a triumph of public opinion over political cynicism, writes Peter Greste.

More from BBC News...

I just read in the local paper that the Chinese are going to fly the stuff into Harare...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.