Ships Nostalgia banner

New for P&O

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Pat McCardle 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
P&O have been advertising Ventura for some time. There was a big advert on Oriana in the future cruise area. She will enter service in April 2008.

Instead of Gary Rhodes offering alternative dining such as aboard Arcadia, and now Oriana, on Ventura you will have The White Room created by Marco Pierre White, one of Britain's great culinary icons, will create fine select dining venue to Ventura according to P&O. I personally have never heard of him, but what do I know?!. I also don't believe in paying more for food. We pay enough in the price of our ticket anyway. The standard of that food is way above many restaurants shore side, so why pay more just because of a well known name?. I didn' try the Gary Rhodes restaurant on Oriana either. Why pay £15 when a very nice meal was already paid for?!.

Noddy will also be aboard Ventura. For the first time, according to P&O, this popular character will combine play and learning with a number of fun activities and entertainment tailored to 2-4 year olds.

Then there is the Tate Modern. Wacky and controversal they say, surreal or fun, modern art can provide an exhilerating and thought provoking experience. P&O Cruises has partnered with Tate Modern to host 'Introduction to Modern Art' themed cruises on Ventura.

This reminded me of art aboard Oriana. Along Deck 8 is the art gallery. I am no expert on art, but I was not the only passenger to pass comment, none of which were too complimentary. But art is in the eye of the beholder as they say?!. Every week were art auctions. Trolley upon trolley was wheeled from a store to the Pacific Lounge which was full of paintings for sale in edition to those displayed. This is a huge business. Every week for the 6 weeks, I was on board, fine art as they called it was on display taking up the entire Pacific lounge which is a large room. I cannot for the life of me think why people would want to buy art when on a cruise when they can do that at home. What is the point of paying a fortune going on a cruise, then spending a further fortune looking at art, and missing some of the cruise. Or am I missing a point here?!. These paintings, some of them huge will be delivered to peoples homes. They don't go in the suitcase!.

Anyway, if I ever go on Ventura, it will not be on her maiden cruise. I will give them chance to iron a few possible teething problems out first?!. David

#5 ·
Hi David re maiden voyages it is worth booking the maiden as if you do not get a good experiance you have a moan when you get back.

Not being a moaner when my wife and I sailed on the maiden voyage of QM2 it deserved a moan on our return, result was £500 each off a future trip on
QE2 plus a free up grade from caronia class to princess for us and 4 others.

Also a fantastic experience on QE2 so always worth a punt on a maiden voyage.

Paul

As both are carnival possibly same rules would apply ??(Thumb)

#8 ·
David

You would be amazed at the amount of cynics that book maiden voyages.

1) they get a good cruise
2) They get a bad cruise and some money back
3) they get a crap cruise but sun, food and entertainment for two weeks some money and a free cruise.

They win always.

Paul

#10 ·
Sailed on Aurora for a few years and at that time P&O stated that they would not be building these tacky monsters for the British market. They built the Grand class for the Yank market but were keeping British side a bit classier. However when the yanks bought out the company that all went to rat sh*t. guess you can't buy class after all.

#12 ·
Mark, one of our members have just been aboard Ventura so perhaps he can tell us about The White Room created by the famous British chef Pierre Marco White that none of us has heard of who is as British as the Red Ensign?!. And those are good old British Christian names as well?!!.

David

#15 ·
Just spotted this ion todays paper. largest cruise ship to be built by brits for P&O.
check it out on http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001330003-2007120103,00.html
Had to laugh when watching the do***entary shown on Scottish Television about merchant navy cadets. They were showing the Ventura arriving for the first time in Southampton.

There was a woman on the dockside watching it, and she said "It makes you proud to be British". Yes; except that she was built in Italy, flies the Bermudan flag, and is owned by P&O which is now American!!

Al.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.