Rotterdam (5)

34K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  Jan Hendrik 
#1 · (Edited)
Two shots of the Rotterdam arriving Hamilton, Bermuda

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Rotterdam

Now here is really some nostalgic stuff.
This is the launching of s.s. Rotterdam of the Holland Amerika Lijn (HAL), she was built at the Rotterdamsche Droogdok Maatschappij in Rotterdam (RDM) in 1958 and was delivered in 1959.

As a young lad I took these photos with my very first camera, Agfa Clack 60 x 90 mm negatives. Launching date: 13th Sept 1958.
She was the biggest passenger vessel ever built by RDM, 38645 GRT and just 2000 GRT bigger than the "Nieuw Amsterdam".

The next thread will show some pictures upon completion.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Hi Oldsalt,

I have no pictures of the Zaandam, but you can visit following informative sites:

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/zaandam/
and
http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/fleetHome.do?ship=za
the latter also includes particulars of all ships of the HAL

There have been 2 "Zaandam" vessels prior to this one and all the vessels end in "dam" named after a city in The Netherlands.

Meanwhile enjoy the trip and as this vessel has a theme all about music, then you better don't forget your dancing shoes.
Jan

#12 · (Edited)
Ahoy,
From the same company's photographer[HAL]here a nice shot of her, taken in Alaska area.What will happen to her?That's still a mistery, ended up somewhere on a "crap yard" or will she be back in the city of Rotterdam?She 's still in Gibraltar and will undertake a removal for the asbestos.

Details:
In common with other ships of her age, many of the original construction materials were made of asbestos. Before a renovation could begin, an inventory of the asbestos risks was required. The objective of the asbestos risk inventory was to estimate the quantity of asbestos materials and the possible emissions of asbestos fibres into the atmosphere. It was at this point that RPS Advies BV became involved in the project. RPS operates one of the largest accredited asbestos laboratories in Europe and has a vast experience in asbestos management and risk inventories on ships from around the world.

In order to assess the extent of the asbestos problems, an RPS team visited the SS Rotterdam in the Bahamas in the autumn of 2003. The findings of RDM and RPS only increased their enthusiasm to keep the ship afloat. The SS Rotterdam was found to be almost in her original state with all her famous works of art, halls and lounges still in situ. However, the quantity of asbestos containing materials was enormous. It was concluded from the asbestos inventory that the asbestos in the ship must be removed as much as possible or otherwise coated so that no asbestos fibres could be released into the atmosphere during refurbishment.

It was decided to tow the SS Rotterdam to the port of Gibraltar where the renovation activities could take place. The huge and unique asbestos project is being carried out non-stop during a six month period from August 2004. The asbestos containing materials are being removed and treated by the Cuddy Group, the largest asbestos cleaning company in the UK. The project team “SS Rotterdam” and RPS are supervising the work.

The following techniques have been selected for the removal and coating of the asbestos:

- The asbestos containing insulation material of the pipelines is to be removed by an injection method. This involves inserting a needle into the insulation cladding at distances of 20 to 25 cm. The needle injects a liquid which dissolves the binder course within 24 hours. The cladding can then be easily removed and fibre emissions are prevented as much as possible.

- The sprayed asbestos which was applied to the ceilings is to be impregnated and coated in three coloured layers. The final white coat is about 6 mm thick and provides a completely smooth surface.

Both techniques are applied in an enclosure with a partial vacuum. This is in order to ensure that no asbestos fibres are emitted. Surface samples are taken before work begins and air samples are taken throughout the process.

Because all the asbestos removal takes place in a British territory, the whole operation is performed and supervised in accordance with British HSE directives.

#16 · (Edited)
On the grapevine I heard that this vessel will go to an outfitting yard for preservation purposes and prior to that she will drydock most likely this month. I am still getting details and may even get back with photos during the drydocking.
Hereby a photo from 1958 whilst she was under construction at the Rotterdamse Droogdok Mij (RDM)

Attachments

#17 ·
Rotterdam(5) - great news

The ss Rotterdam is going into drydock in Cadiz on Monday for a 6 weeks refit, after which she will go to Polen in order to finalise the asbestos removal prior to her last resting place.
They are currently looking for a suitable berth in Maashaven or Rijnhaven in the old port of Rotterdam.
This means that she will definitely be preserved and becomes a museum ship of some kind.
Through friends I hope to receive photos at regular intervals during the drydocking and can post these accordingly.

#18 ·
Ahoy,

As Jan already explained, here some more news:

"ss Rotterdam will goes in dock (7-12-2005) coming weekend, the Rotterdam will be drydocked for the first time after 8 years. She has located since 25 November last in Cadiz at the Navantia yard. These have been among others chosen because of the climate conditions. Another important reason was that the ship went on to this yard,that the yard shortly was available. Painting the ship will confiscate a number of weeks. There is about 28,000 litres painting necessary be needed to cover the complete outside side. The gold-yellow colour and the naming with logo on the ship will be brought back from the the original working plans. The fuselage becomes grey. By the sophisticated painting system the skin of the ship will be conserved for at least 15 years. By the end of January ss Rotterdam is expected to be ready in its original colour and with its original name." See the press bulletin on www.derotterdam.com written in Dutch unfortunately.

#19 ·
Thanks for the additional info Ruud, a very interesting site indeed.

And as you may already have guessed Ruud, I know all about the paints, just spoken with my colleague in Rotterdam.
Eventually I can give you the exact litreage used and you may be very close to 28.000 litres.
To put this in perspective: 28.000 li at say an average of 8 Euro per litre = 224,000 Euro, this is only the cost of the paints!!
Surface preparation and application is usually 4 times the cost of the paint, so you are looking at abt 1 million Euro just to freshen her up.......
This is a ballpark figure.
Jan

#21 · (Edited)
Rotterdam in drydock

Exciting developments as the vessel entered the drydock in Cadiz.

You can all follow the drydocking and subsequent paintwork below and above water by clicking on the following link which is to be updated daily/weekly as work progresses:
http://www.hempel.nl/internet/inenlc.nsf/vDOC/207FB384E7139219C1256BE4004DF139?OpenDo***ent
Click on: Stoomschip Rotterdam,
the bottom of the page you find "hier" (here), click for the progress of the drydocking.

Unfortunately it is only in Dutch, but plenty of photos and with somewhat reduced text you would be able to follow the input by my colleagues from Rotterdam Office.
Jan

photo: copyright Hempel Rotterdam

Attachments

#23 ·
Hello

The Germans already have a preserved merchant ship, in the form of the CAP SAN DIEGO:
http://www.capsandiego.de/

Another interesting preserved merchant ship of the past is the GEORG BUCHNER in Rostock, the former combi-liner CHARLESVILLE of CMB:
http://liners.gmxhome.de/buechner/hist bue.htm#enghist
http://liners.gmxhome.de/buechner/buechner.htm

She now is being used has a hotel, just like the QUEEN MARY.

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

R651400 said:
Best wishes to the Dutch on this magnificent preservation project.
The Germans I believe have similar ideas with a 50/60's cargo vessel.
The Italians also have something in mind with a vessel presently under the Philippino flag.
The French with typical Gallic nonchalance, let Norway slip through their fingers. Excuse.. asbestos removal too costly.
The Brits have lost Windsor Castle, so what's left?

#25 · (Edited)
After the s.s. ROTTERDAM has been drydocked in Cadiz and the hull repainted in dove-grey, she was towed to Gdanks, Poland where she arrived at the end of February.
In Gdansk they met big problems as down in the refrigerators, some 500 cubic meter asbestos toxic waste was found which was not reported to the Polish authorities.
A lack of licences also occurred and at the end of the story, the governor of Pomorania ordered the ship to leave Polish waters.
She did and was towed to Wilhelmshaven in Germany, where she arrived on 2 September. As stated by the owners, the ship would stay there for six to eight weeks (Wilhelmshaven Port Authorities notes e.t.d. 31 October) during which time the asbestos waste should be offloaded and restoration work of the exterior would be done.
Next Saturday she is in Wilhelmshaven and nothing has been done yet.
Last week I was informed that finally all licences were completed and that the work would start this week. A further delay was not denied nor confirmed. Nor was a return to Gdansk confirmed although the owners have stated that after Wilhelmshaven should return to Gdansk for further refurbishment.

The photo attached is showing the ship in Wilhelmshaven, photographed by me on 6 September 2006.
More photos can be viewed via my website.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.