Ships Nostalgia banner

Save the CALYPSO

13K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Davesdream 
#1 ·
Help us to save the CALYPSO, the famous ship of Commandant Cousteau.

Little summary of the story of the CALYPSO since her shipwreck:
On 8 January 1996, the ship was hit by a barge and sank in the port of Singapore.
After the shipwreck, Jacques-Yves Cousteau said: "I want CALYPSO is at the service of Science and Education ». Refloated a few days after his shipwreck, the CALYPSO is brought back to France.
In 2007, she was sent to the Piriou shipyards where it has to be renovated, but the work was stopped a few months later due to a financial problem.
Since, the CALYPSO waiting patiently for the resumption of its renovation.
It will probably be destroyed if nothing is done to preserve it.

Please, Help Us, Sign the petition.
http://www.change.org/fr/pétitions/...ture-et-de-la-communication-sauvez-la-calypso

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
good day Anthony,m,today.09:41.re:save the calypso.i have read your very interesting post,also looked at your thumbnail.we all watched cousteaus great underwater video's he made scupa diving a sport practiced by the masses.i find it hard to beleave the French government does not come forward and save there national hero's ship.thanks for posting ben27

#3 · (Edited)
Anthony,

Have tried signing the petition since we all owe that little ship, and all who sailed in her, so much!
I expected a problem since I was signing the petition from the UK but the difficulty was with my email addresses being invalid. I tried three and each was rejected.
Good luck with your most worthwhile cause. (Applause)

#5 ·
Sadly, not being a French speaker, I can't see where to sign it.

#7 ·
Thanks Ray. I had clicked on a button which gave a list of languages in a drop down menu, but the system I'm using wouldn't open it! ;-)

#17 ·
Hello,
Here is a short summary after two weeks of petition. As you have perhaps noticed, the petition has changed ownership for legal reasons (I am a minor). The new owner is Bruno Bombled. I am always available for suggestions, but changes on the petition will not be made ​​by me.
Some newspapers began to take an interest in our cause. The number of signatures increased from 1000 to 5000.
On October 3, 2013 At 19 o'clock 41, 1702 people had signed the call to classify CALYPSO "French maritime heritage."

Thank you all for your support.
Together, we must save the CALYPSO.

Anthony Levrot

#21 ·
#23 ·
You's welcome.

#24 ·
It was thanks to that well known and loved Irish Brewing family that the "Calypso" has now become apparently part of the French Maritime History. If they had not bought the vessel and loaned her to J.C.the vessel would have been "Returned to Produce". The family also bought a sister ship and had her converted into a superb motor yacht which is also still around I understand.

#26 ·
Today more than ever, we need your help. The Commercial Court of Quimper terminated the contract between the Cousteau Society and Piriou shipyards. In four months, the CALYPSO shall have leave the shipyard. But for go wherever?

Please help us. Share and sign this call: www.change.org/SauvezlaCalypso.

If you help us, the CALYPSO could know the same end as the NOMADIC (the last ship of the White Star Line, the shipowner of the TITANIC) became a museum in Belfast.
If we do nothing, it could know the same fate as the QUEEN ELIZABETH (later SEAWISE UNIVERSITY).

Help us.

#28 ·
I haven't been on the board for a long while and I just came across this thread

Latest news seem to show that LA CALYPSO is undergoing repairs in a Turkish shipyard
http://www.bateaux.com/article/22911/calypso-attend-hangar-turquie

She has been granted a Eur10 Million budget for its overhaul.
A more detail look shows her frame and plankings to be exchanged by new ones. If such is the case, this is more a reconstruction of a replica than a repair of a hull which was really in too bad a shape.
While recontructing as original is great and nice, I believe a wood hull will always need more maintenance and have a shorter lifespan than a GRP one. I wonder if it is realistic in France to rebuild La Calypso in such a manner.
I would have personnally favored a GRP Hull in the shape of the original one while retaining the original wheellhouse, masts, some equipment and fittings.

it is regrettable to have sent this fine ship as far as Turkey, while local shipyards would be able to do something with Eur 10 Millions

Anyway, this is still an encouraging piece of news

#29 ·
A lot depends on the quality of the wood used in the construction. Calypso was originally built during World War II as a minesweeper. Construction was rapid, as vessels were needed to get into service quickly. Such timber as was available was used, and often demand outstripped supply, so inferior quality unseasoned timbers were frequently used. Also, because of the designs of some vessels that enabled them to be built rapidly, there were other issues involving ventilation and keeping dry areas susceptible to rot.

In any case, a timber vessel may be "new" when it is launched, but most of the material used in its construction may all ready be over 100 years old.

The Cutty Sark, at Greenwich has been completely reconstructed after a devastating fire. She still exists, but is not now by any measure, original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.