Ships Nostalgia banner

King Edward VII Nautical College 1964

35K views 71 replies 48 participants last post by  nickwilson89 
#1 · (Edited)
The attached thumbnail is of a class that graduated from King Teds in March of 1964.

As far as I can remember, and forgive the spellings, the names were.

Back Row Standing (L to R)...Davis(Caltex); Warman(RFA); Dunford(Houlders): Grant (Alfred Holt); Garret(Houlders); May(Houlders).

Front Row Sitting (L to R)...Abbot(?); ? (BP); Shepherd (Andrew Weir); Cobban (?).

Missing...Toothill(Caltex).

Where did you go and where are all of you now?

Attachments

See less See more
#18 ·
I was there during the Autmun term 1951 just the one term. Louis Mann elesewhere mentioned in this thread when he was Mate on the Glen Strathallen, was a contemporary classmate. The house super was a Mr Gulliver then but all the other names at school and afloat were the same.
One of those strange co-incidences, Capt Griffiths was the master of a loaned yacht the "Berenice" to enter the first Tall Ships race 1956 and manned by the King George VII Nautical College She came 8th (last) in the under 100 ton category. Forty years on my son William joined the same vessel as Mate and did two seasons on her chartering to the well heeled around the Med. He paid off last November in Malta. 'Berenice' is still there awaiting a new owner.
Yes we had the nurses dances under the scrutiny of Mr Gulliver's eagle eye
and sometimes managed a tryst outside of the house in one of the nearby gardens or Parks. I was a very keen model boat builder and used to spend Sundays up at the Round Pond testing ne designs.
Great fun, many happy memories of good pals and adventure looming ahead
at sea.

#4 ·
waiwera said:
Not sure which class this would be?

I was at King Teds from Sept 03 to June/July 04 --------- I always thought that Pre Sea was fixed to a one year course? But maybe there were swhort courses too and of course MAR/
Most of the pre-sea courses were one year in duration and the entrants were sixteen years of age. This particular course was six months in duration and most of the eleven participants were slightly older. As a result, the remission of seatime they received was less.

Cheers.

#6 ·
waiwera said:
Thanks for the prompt response Nova Scotian

Just goes to show how you forget these points of detail . Take it that these good fellows also boarded at the corner of Cromwell and Gloucester Roads??
In 1958 there was a one term course with 2 months remission of sea service and a one year course with 7 months remission. Yes, the residence was at Cromwell & Gloucetser Roads, Managers were a Mr. Owen and his wife, great people, Weekday Captain was Capt. Miller and also a full time resident Captain, forget his name but never his temper.

BEA stewardess residence across the street, Bert in Mary Poppins was a rookie compared to our lot hopping over the roof's of South Ken after lights out.

#24 ·
resident Captain at Cromwell Road

I was at King Teds from September to December 1958.

The resident Captain at Comwell Road was Captain Woods, an ex cable ship master I believe. You remember we had a duty cadet at the front door. One night a couple of Jehovah’s Witnesses knocked on the door. The cadet answered it - Captain Woods could see down the hall from his office and yelled out "Who is it" "Jehovah’s Witnesses " answered the cadet, "Take them on the roof and hang them shouted Captai Woods, muttering "they ought to be hung, they ought to be squashed" This became a catch phrase for our group. Before we left we clubbed together and bought Captain Woods a bottle of gin, a beverage of which he was fond.

Our class tutor was Captain Hyde, Keith, who I met again at Plymouth when on the first mid-appreticeship release course.

The teachers at the nautical schools in those days were great men.
None better than Captain Warren Hopwood at Plymouth - a genus of a teacher. I can still recall his lectures all these years on.

I joined Eagle Oil & Shipping Company in January 1959 and retired this year in March 2011, having been involved in shipping continuously since 1959, ship master, pilot in Saudi Arabia and Australia and more recently in management in the offshore oil and gas industry.

#7 ·
Ke V11

Split said:
I was at Edward VII in 1952- too early for you whippersnappers! Did they still have the nurses dances? Is it still there today?

Split
I attended KE V11 NC think it must have been May - July 1952 joined BTC (as it was then) 9/9/1952. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Snowbow Video TANKERS has quite a long clip of tutors and Capt Chase,must have been taken 1951. send me pm for further details.
Regards,
Mac.

#48 ·
Graham 506606 or something like that.

I attended KE V11 NC think it must have been May - July 1952 joined BTC (as it was then) 9/9/1952. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Snowbow Video TANKERS has quite a long clip of tutors and Capt Chase,must have been taken 1951. send me pm for further details.
Regards,
Mac.
Hello you youngsters. I was there in 1948?9 before joining Dornoch shipping via Lambert Brothers.Did 4 years as apprentice aboard ss coulbeg for tow years then ss coulgarve. Any memories revived if so please let me know. Thanks graham

#9 ·
Split said:
We probably knew each other by sight although we all had our groups, didn't we? I was there from for about 4 months from April.

Split
When our program started there was already a one-year program running. Our group was small (11 in all) and we had our own schedule. I don't remember combining with any of the other courses, although we shared the same residence in Cromwell Road and travelled the Tube together to Redmonds Road. It was a very intense program and we covered most of the theory identified in the one-year program along with all the hands on sessions like sailing, boating at Temple and the trip on the "Glen". Having spent 25 years in marine education, I can honestly say it was one of the best training programs I have been involved in. My first trip to sea would have been a lot tougher without the experience.

Cheers.

#11 ·
Nova Scotian said:
When our program started there was already a one-year program running. Our group was small (11 in all) and we had our own schedule. I don't remember combining with any of the other courses, although we shared the same residence in Cromwell Road and travelled the Tube together to Redmonds Road. It was a very intense program and we covered most of the theory identified in the one-year program along with all the hands on sessions like sailing, boating at Temple and the trip on the "Glen". Having spent 25 years in marine education, I can honestly say it was one of the best training programs I have been involved in. My first trip to sea would have been a lot tougher without the experience.

Cheers.
Yes, wise words.

I had totally forgotten there was a short program as well as the year long one - I remember arriving for the start of the year and trying to sign on for the short one .... based on envy rather than ability; as a result I stayed where I was and did the 12 month course.

#12 ·
I did my Mid Apprentice course at King Teds(or should I say the Coopers Arms or the Prospects of Whitby, and other places!!!!) in Sept to Dec '68. My question is , what was the name of the trawler on the river that we did our RT bit of the course on? Can anyone help me on this one? Something says ??Strathallan, just can't remember.
Murdo

#17 ·
That brings back some memories. I was on MAR 2 at King Teds in autumn 1964 and then back there for Second Mates late summer 65. Bulwark is so right about the Coopers Arms and other well known local hostelries convenient to the "Stack of Bricks". That fine hostel on the corner of, if I recall, Salmon Lane - which at the time was location of London's smartest Chinese resturant - the cheaper take-aways were down West India Dock Road. You wouldn't recognise the place driving around there today ? Rgds, Chris Allport

#19 ·
KEVII Nautical College1951

Yes I am known in the business as a 'Wrinkly'. Got more than my fair share these days. Seen alot of mail submitted to SN a few years back concerning those at KEVII. Just interested to know if there are any others like me who were there in '51. when Captain Chase was about. And that master of tuition Gwym Williams was at Commercial road. Complete with his black beard, he became Master of the sail training vessel Winston Churchill not long after I left I think.

#20 ·
And that master of tuition Gwym Williams was at Commercial road. Complete with his black beard, he became Master of the sail training vessel Winston Churchill not long after I left I think.
Sabastopol,
Are you thinking of Captain Griffiths at Commercial Road? He was Master of the Wendorian & went on to become Master of the Winston Churchill. There is a photo of him here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/38630/cat/500/sort/2/ppuser/912/sl/j
Kind regards,
John

#25 ·
Around 1966?

I spent a short time there around 1966/7 (I think?) Capt Farquhar and Capt Ted Coolen (?spellings) were there. I shared a room with Dean, Dicken and Costalis, first names included Peter and Richard but can't remember who had which one!

Anyone one remember me? - Peter Barker

#28 ·
I spent a short time there around 1966/7 (I think?) Capt Farquhar and Capt Ted Coolen (?spellings) were there. I shared a room with Dean, Dicken and Costalis, first names included Peter and Richard but can't remember who had which one!

Anyone one remember me? - Peter Barker
Hello Peter, by chance in browsing sn i found your thread.
You, i'm afraid i cannot put a face to, but you mentioned Pete Costalis and others. Those i do with many more.
I was there the same time, Sept '67. i was on the first intake that was for a fifteen month duration. First twelve in London, then last three on HMS Worcester @ Greenhithe, kent. This later period was under the name "New Merchant Navy College". Memories never to be forgotten.

#26 ·
I was at KEV11 NC 50/51 and remember the good (and some not so good ) times but the training was one of the best.
Anyone out there want to correspond online - I'm hoping to put together some interesting moments bookwise and would appreciate any info from class mates any period - any time to keep it alive.
Now in the U.S with relatives - is KE still on the map ?
Hope for replies regards Tom.

#29 ·
I was at King Teds from September to December 1962, for a 3 months course. Which seemed plenty as I was desperate to get to sea! It always seemed weird that they made us commute every day right across London from Gloucester road to Limehouse.
I enjoyed the course, even rowing a lifeboat around the docks! As someone has said, it was all great learning, including 4 days in the North Sea on the Glen Strathallen. (Whose engine is (or was) in the Science Museum).
There was a great bunch of guys on my course, none of whom have I seen since!

#33 ·
i attended

king
I attended the King Edward college for the short,three months course from January 1955 to end April. I ,too, remember with much fondness the Prospect of Whitby and the Grapes,and the enormous amount of energy that I put into playing snooker and billiards,tutored by "Sugar" Reeves, in the evening at Gloucester Road. I must have put some effort into navigation though as at the end of the three months course I was placed with Clan Line of Steamers,but ended my four year apprenticeship with Van Ommeren,s on the Langleeclyde.I still have my meticulously written diaries from those days. Geoff Clarke,now resident in Noosa,near Brisbane Queensland

I still

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.