Ships Nostalgia banner

Anyone Know the Foster's of Devonport?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  NickNZ 
#1 ·
I am a nephew of Don, Bill, and Peter Foster, who were (to a degree) (in)famous in the dockyard. Now I know that the dockyards were big, busy places, but they, and now their sons Kelvin and Keith are carrying on a proud tradition started i think by my Grandfather Georeg Reuben Foster of Torpoint. Anybody know them? I am travelling to UK this year to see as many of them as I can. If they belong to this site, I would love to hear from them so that we can meet for a drink or two before watching Argyle play .

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for that, I realised it was Kelvin & Steven after I had posted the question. I still keep in contact with Don & Bill, and am hoping to get across and see them later this year. Will contact the Society as suggested.
Don taught me a lot of 'tricks' when I was ayoungster, including how to get past Mod Plod, and spent many happy days in the Dockyard on my school holidays viewing all the warships close up.

#5 ·
hi im john martin i was a cabin boy in 1964 on the devonport tugs don was a bosun we played in the same football team dockland settlement as iwas the youngest by many years and also the goalkeeper don jerry nicholls would protect me don and jerry were also bouncers at plymouth guildhall on saturdays so i also got in free we did not win many games but we had a great time good luck with your search as i live in kent im sorry we cant meet have a pint of scrumpy for me green army for ever john martin

#9 ·
Don (Uncle Don to me) taught me how to cheat at cards, and also managed to get me into the dockyard on many occassions, so that I could drive some of 'his' tugs.
Don, Bill & Peter were all in the dockyard, following their Dad George Foster.
Don is still well, with that very cheeky grin. I hope to get back to UK soon to visit. Anybody see any of them, please give my regards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.