Hull Nautical College - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
16:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hull Nautical College

User Tag List

Old 11th June 2016, 22:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1977

Hi Jan
Sorry to hear the bad news my condolences to you and your family
I remember him well he taught me in the Pre-sea class in 1956 strict a but a fair man Regards Ian Walker
Old 11th June 2016, 23:39

Capt W D Moss, Senior Lecturer Radar Watchkeeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by igw1740 View Post
Hi Jan
Sorry to hear the bad news my condolences to you and your family
I remember him well he taught me in the Pre-sea class in 1956 strict a but a fair man Regards Ian Walker
Bless you for getting back to me - I didn't realise he was teaching as early as that! I was only born in 1964.

Hopefully a piccy of him when at sea will be attached FYI.

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capt W D Moss.jpg (26.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 18th September 2016, 10:48

Hello fellow Hull Nautical College attendees:

I attended the college in 1971/ 72 as a cadet, along with Andy Holden, Bill Ainger, Bill Bailey, Shaun ?, Chris Mortimer? and many more. Duggie Buckle was our English lecturer, Oscar ? was another lecturer. Can anyone help jog my memory about the staff and students please?
Old 19th September 2016, 16:35

That must have ben in the Boulevard as the 4college moved to George Street in January '73. The Oscar you refer to was Bill Littlewood. As a cadet you were probably taught by Trevor Spink, Mike Fearon, Jim Weatherston and George West to name a few. Does that jog the memory
Old 20th September 2016, 09:28

1971 to 1973:

I was at the Boulevard for my first year and at the new college for my second year.

I remember Bill ( Oscar) Littlewood, Duggie Buckle and Jim Weatherstone, who if I remember correctly was principal?

We did our lifeboat training in the dock and dinghy sailing at Welton Waters in Enterprise class dinghies.
Old 20th September 2016, 19:05

It's our 40 year reunion of our 1976 ONC course this Saturday in Hull. We meet in the Old White Hart at noon. All of the lecturers you mention have passed on unfortunately, only Dave Martin and Alan Hodgson are still around and sometimes attend.

Last edited by merrymagpie; 20th September 2016 at 19:35..
Old 15th January 2017, 12:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - 1996

Do any of you guys remember a Mr Pottage who did the cooking at the college?I was at a dinner party last night and met his son who was an ex policeman in Hull. He remembers getting the leftovers for the lads at the station when his dad had cooked too much.
Old 17th February 2017, 12:53
Department: Deck

Hnc

I did Pre Sea, then 2nd Mates and Mates at HNC circa 1974. I remember Capt.Jim Weatherston(relative density 1.010), Nobby Clark, Tab Hunter, and many more.
In the class of '74, a few names spring to mind, John Clarke, Mike Graham, Ronnie Clark, Gerry Blunden. Had some great times in the "Gardeners Arms" and the "Hayworth".
JimmyW
Old 17th February 2017, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW View Post
I did Pre Sea, then 2nd Mates and Mates at HNC circa 1974. I remember Capt.Jim Weatherston(relative density 1.010), Nobby Clark, Tab Hunter, and many more.
In the class of '74, a few names spring to mind, John Clarke, Mike Graham, Ronnie Clark, Gerry Blunden. Had some great times in the "Gardeners Arms" and the "Hayworth".
JimmyW
Jim. John Clark lives in Monaco but still gets back to Hull a few times a year. Usually in September for our reunion and again in December. Mike Graham worked for ABP until about four years again, when he moved to work in New Zealand.