Seeking Caltex Adelaide, Manchester and Newcastle 1957-60 crew - Ships Nostalgia
23:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Seeking Caltex Adelaide, Manchester and Newcastle 1957-60 crew

User Tag List

Old 5th February 2017, 17:15

Seeking Caltex Adelaide, Manchester and Newcastle 1957-60 crew

My father, Daniel Austin Cavender, was an engineer with these Caltex tankers. He is now 80, still going strong and still regaling us with tales of his adventures. I wondered if there were any former crew members or family of former crew members who might remember him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0006.jpg (61.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0005.jpg (99.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 5th February 2017, 20:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 1965

My location
I sailed in 8 Caltex tankers (1954-58) nut sadly none of them match your Dad's list. You might try tota.co.uk the website of Texaco Overseas Tankship the later name for Overseas Tankship UK (who operated Caltex ships in those days). That site seems to have been a bit dormant lately but you can get details of the ships involved and possibly more. Good luck.

Ian
Old 6th February 2017, 09:11
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings robcavender and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 6th February 2017, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcavender View Post
My father, Daniel Austin Cavender, was an engineer with these Caltex tankers. He is now 80, still going strong and still regaling us with tales of his adventures. I wondered if there were any former crew members or family of former crew members who might remember him.
I was a mate, 2nd mate, if I remember correctly, on the Adelaide. John Nicholson, . John Gillies, mate, John Sears 3rd mate. I'm pushing 85, everything seems to work ok, except for my sex drive, can't seem to get interested, these days.
Old 6th February 2017, 22:18

Good to hear from you and thanks for the reply. Could you just clarify who you are so I can let my dad know as your name doesn't appear on your profile? My dad remembers John Nicholson the skipper who he describes as a 'lovely Christian man'. He has also managed to find a photo of John Gillies though he doesn't recall John Sears.
Old 7th February 2017, 05:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcavender View Post
Good to hear from you and thanks for the reply. Could you just clarify who you are so I can let my dad know as your name doesn't appear on your profile? My dad remembers John Nicholson the skipper who he describes as a 'lovely Christian man'. He has also managed to find a photo of John Gillies though he doesn't recall John Sears.
John Davies. I joined in Cronulla, along with a few engineers. I remember that one played the hotel piano very well!
Old 7th February 2017, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
John Davies. I joined in Cronulla, along with a few engineers. I remember that one played the hotel piano very well!
Thanks for the reply. My dad, known as Danny in his navy days, was only on the Adelaide from October 1957 for about 9 months. He remembers 'big' Tom Cowan and Chris Robertson (engineers) and a chap called Angus (radio operator) who broke his leg in a bar brawl in the Philippines and had to be flown home, so the ship was held up for 16 days before a new radio operator was sent. Regrettably, my dad is not the least bit musical.
Best wishes.
Old 7th February 2017, 19:21
Active: 1961 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
Cronulla - that brings back memories of loading lube oil in Texaco Glasgow, ex Caltex Liverpool, in 1968. We went to a couple of ports in New Zealand with it. We loaded via 4" hoses through the tank hatches as I remember. Caltex had a Captain called Cook who always had problems getting a taxi from or to Cronulla for some reason!
Old 7th February 2017, 19:37
Active: 1970 - Present

Was on the Newcastle in August 1971, ship had seen better days. Gone downhill since your father left it.
Old 7th February 2017, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian6 View Post
I sailed in 8 Caltex tankers (1954-58) nut sadly none of them match your Dad's list. You might try tota.co.uk the website of Texaco Overseas Tankship the later name for Overseas Tankship UK (who operated Caltex ships in those days). That site seems to have been a bit dormant lately but you can get details of the ships involved and possibly more. Good luck.

Ian
Thank you Ian. Apologies for the delay in replying. Thanks for the suggested website.
Old 16th February 2017, 18:56

Calling Josef Whelan from whom I received a message asking why Captain cook had problems when calling a taxi. I sent a reply via your registered SN email address which doesn't work. Anyone in the Botany Bay area calling themselves Captain Cook would be liable to a frosty reception I would have thought. He's supposed to have found the place!
Old 16th February 2017, 20:21

Thanks for info re Capt. Cook.
Old 17th February 2017, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Was on the Newcastle in August 1971, ship had seen better days. Gone downhill since your father left it.
Capt. Hall was a super who stood by the Newcastle building. He left the company and one of the reasons he gave me, when I ran into him as a Barrier Reef pilot, was the poor finish that was being given the Newcastle over her sister ship, the Edinburgh. One example that he gave me was the wooden bridge deck on the former and no wood on the latter. In fact, he said, the lowering of standards on new ships was quite evident.
Old 17th February 2017, 17:44

I did my apprenticeship and a two year contract with Caltex. I sailed on Brisbane, Perth, Calcutta, Saigon, Bahrain and Texaco Glasgow (ex Liverpool). I didn't know any better at the time and came to assume that all ships had dreadful accommodation, little or no air conditioning, minimal annual maintenance, stinking hot engine rooms, deckhead leaks (I had to rig a tarpaulin over the switchboard on Glasgow as on deck seas leaked into the valve compartment which in turn leaked into the engine room) and ten month trips. The only good thing was the food which was excellent!

In 1969 I joined Container Fleets which had six ships building - the 'Small Bays'. What an eye opener. Superb accommodation, proper refits, air conditioning, a control room (Central control in Caltex was a twenty foot long extended spindle to the feed make up) and five month trips which very soon became ten week trips. The food wasn't much cop though!