The Charlton Steam Shipping Co.Ltd. - Ships Nostalgia
16:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

The Charlton Steam Shipping Co.Ltd.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 27th January 2016, 01:28
EMMESSTEE EMMESSTEE is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,926
The Charlton Steam Shipping Co.Ltd.

Can anyone advise the details of the fleet of The Charlton Steam Shipping Co.Ltd. in the 1950s/1960s. I rather gather it was a company loosely described as "London-Greek" and had affiliations with Chandris. There was a Liberty ship in the fleet in 1962 and am trying to determine its name. Thanks, Mike.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27th January 2016, 08:54
A.D.FROST's Avatar
A.D.FROST A.D.FROST is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,830
Charlton SS(Newcastle) became a Chandris British subsidiary all ships had the prefix Charlton .......eg.CHARLTON PRIDE(cs),CHARLTON VENUS(tkr),CHARLTON MARIA(bc)Later Chandris(London)Ltd.all Liberties had MARI.... prefix eg. MARIBLANCA,MARIASMI,MARITIHI,MAREILEEN.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27th January 2016, 11:33
EMMESSTEE EMMESSTEE is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,926
A.D. -
Many thanks indeed for your information, greatly appreciated. A friend has a 1962 photo of a Colombo anchorage with a Charlton Liberty featured in it - can't quite make out the name, we're trying to identify her and your info is of great assistance!

Mike.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14th February 2017, 14:48
willincity's Avatar
willincity willincity is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 678
I sailed on the Charlton Mira in the mid 60's, she was a five hatch bulk-carrier trading from April to October between Sydney Nova Scotia up into the St Lawrence (Montreal, Quebec, Three Rivers and Port Alfred), mainly carrying coal and occasionally iron oar from Wabana, Newfoundland.
Through the Canadian winter she tramped for 4 months and dry-docked generally in Europe before heading back to Nova Scotia.
After her long-term charter came to an end in Canada she was re-named DONA Mira and traded down South America (predominantly Chile) carrying nitrates after been fitted with 2nd hand derricks so as to self discharging bagged nitrates on the Pacific Coast.
The ship was closely associated with Chandris London in St Helens Place London, and her funnel was that of Chandris Line.
in 1969 she was handed over to Chandris England and manned with Greek officers.
Built in 1958 on the Tyne, last I heard she was scrapped in the late 70's after a major fire but don't quote me on that as it was only chit-chat.
there is a photo of her on this site somewhere in the "gallery"

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...n-mira/cat/510

Last edited by willincity; 14th February 2017 at 14:52.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17th February 2017, 08:46
A.D.FROST's Avatar
A.D.FROST A.D.FROST is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by willincity View Post
I sailed on the Charlton Mira in the mid 60's, she was a five hatch bulk-carrier trading from April to October between Sydney Nova Scotia up into the St Lawrence (Montreal, Quebec, Three Rivers and Port Alfred), mainly carrying coal and occasionally iron oar from Wabana, Newfoundland.
Through the Canadian winter she tramped for 4 months and dry-docked generally in Europe before heading back to Nova Scotia.
After her long-term charter came to an end in Canada she was re-named DONA Mira and traded down South America (predominantly Chile) carrying nitrates after been fitted with 2nd hand derricks so as to self discharging bagged nitrates on the Pacific Coast.
The ship was closely associated with Chandris London in St Helens Place London, and her funnel was that of Chandris Line.
in 1969 she was handed over to Chandris England and manned with Greek officers.
Built in 1958 on the Tyne, last I heard she was scrapped in the late 70's after a major fire but don't quote me on that as it was only chit-chat.
there is a photo of her on this site somewhere in the "gallery"

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...n-mira/cat/510
Built in Sunderland (Lanched in to the North Sea,B/U Gadani Beach 1987.You could say born on a beach and died on a beach.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17th February 2017, 09:08
willincity's Avatar
willincity willincity is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
Built in Sunderland (Lanched in to the North Sea,B/U Gadani Beach 1987.You could say born on a beach and died on a beach.
Many thanks for your clarification. The old girl did well to last 30 years, she was a real plodder, just a very basic 4 legged Doxford, hand steering in the seaway but what an education for young apprentices both deck and engine.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17th February 2017, 16:41
audierne audierne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 134
I have been looking into L.A. Sawyer & W.H. Mitchell's "The Liberty ships" 2nd edition, 1985, in an attempt to look at 1) Mariblanca (p.174), 2) Mariasmi (p.98), and 3) Maritihi (p.48), 4) Marieileen not found.
1) Mariblanca (1954)
ex- Coutances (1947)
ex- Katherine L. Bates (02.44)
Scrapped Kaoshiung 4.69

2) Mariasmi (1961)
ex-Saint Tropez (1947)
ex- John A. Dix (02.43)
Scrapped Kaoshiung 6.68

3) Maritihi (1961)
ex- Jane B.L. (1957)
ex- Felix R.P. (1956)
ex- Fribourg Trader (1951)
ex- John W. Garrett (08.43)

4) As I said, I have not found Marieileen, but there is a Mariely (p.101)
- Omega (1965)
ex- Mariely (1963)
ex- Flisvos II (1953)
ex- Astrid Naess (1951)
ex- Sjoa ( 1947)
ex- Thomas H. Summer (06.44)
13.11.1966: abandoned with cracks in her hull 2,000 miles SE of Honolulu. Presumed foundered.
Hope this helps,
Regards.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18th February 2017, 09:02
A.D.FROST's Avatar
A.D.FROST A.D.FROST is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by audierne View Post
I have been looking into L.A. Sawyer & W.H. Mitchell's "The Liberty ships" 2nd edition, 1985, in an attempt to look at 1) Mariblanca (p.174), 2) Mariasmi (p.98), and 3) Maritihi (p.48), 4) Marieileen not found.
1) Mariblanca (1954)
ex- Coutances (1947)
ex- Katherine L. Bates (02.44)
Scrapped Kaoshiung 4.69

2) Mariasmi (1961)
ex-Saint Tropez (1947)
ex- John A. Dix (02.43)
Scrapped Kaoshiung 6.68

3) Maritihi (1961)
ex- Jane B.L. (1957)
ex- Felix R.P. (1956)
ex- Fribourg Trader (1951)
ex- John W. Garrett (08.43)

4) As I said, I have not found Marieileen, but there is a Mariely (p.101)
- Omega (1965)
ex- Mariely (1963)
ex- Flisvos II (1953)
ex- Astrid Naess (1951)
ex- Sjoa ( 1947)
ex- Thomas H. Summer (06.44)
13.11.1966: abandoned with cracks in her hull 2,000 miles SE of Honolulu. Presumed foundered.
Hope this helps,
Regards.
MAREILEEN(NB spelling)
JULIUS OLSEN (p.175)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20th February 2017, 14:22
audierne audierne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 134
Point taken, my mistake, I got locked onto the MARI prefix!!!
Regards.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bolton Steam Shipping Co Web Site Lloyd Housley Bolton S. S. Co., London 6 8th September 2015 19:18
Charlton Mira, a Chandris ore carrier clydesiderman Ship Research 3 25th March 2013 10:00
Sheaf Steam Shipping Company (Souters?) Bearwood Ship Research 41 3rd January 2013 01:43
Bolton Steam Shipping Co.Ltd coxh Say Hello 8 18th March 2007 18:08
Tyne Tees Steam Shipping Co Tony D Coasters 9 7th August 2006 15:11



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.