Ships Nostalgia banner

Canadian Pacific

56K views 121 replies 65 participants last post by  Kirk hetherington 
#1 ·
Have not seen any reference to CP on this site, I sailed on the Beaverboats from 1965 to 1970. Looking for anyone who sailed at that time. Sailed on Beaverelm, Beaverash, Beaverpine, Lord Strathcona, and Pacific Logger.
Had some great times, met some great people.
Geoff Bray

#55 ·
I kept my testimonials that you got on leaving a ship and I`ve just found that the Chief Engineer on the Beaverfir 1962 to 1963 was J McKibbon. I get a good laugh when I sometimes dig them out and see the Report as to Sobriety---- Very Good. How bad had you to be to be called a drunk??????

#57 ·
Hello Shipmates,I sailed on the Empress of England 67/68 It was a great ship to be on.I joined at the tail of the bank on the clyde with a piper playing in full regalia as passengers were boarding.I was catering boy and on Joining found myself promoted to the platehouse.good move as wages trebled.Then made my way into the Kitchen as Assistant Cook.I think it was a Jim Jeffries who was Chef and George Sandys.I remember sailing down the clyde on her when The Q E 2 was doing her trials. She was astern of us when she developed problems.
Some of my best seagoing memories were of that vessel,liverpool for me was the best run ashore in the World bar none and that after a career at sea of over eighteen years.Sailing to Montreal in the summer and then on to the cruising.Those were the days.Regards to any who were there at the time.

#58 ·
Geoff; just re-registered on the site. Getting a little bit older, but delighted at first visit to see reference to CP Ships:
Joined - Beaveroak/CP Ambassador, NR Crump, then sent to TSU for the Maiden of the TG Shaughnessy on which I served for a while.
Left CP late '74 and joined ZAPATA Marine to work the Nigerian Oil Base at WARRI. First post for years will keep it short.

#59 ·
Sailed on the Scotland as A.B,late 50s cruising out of New York. Was the the Empress boat that was previously the DeGrasse I think it was the France,they used to say at the Pool as she was going thro looking for a crew(Keep of the Grass) maybe some Liverpool crew will remember this and why it was said.

#63 ·
When sailing with CP it was generally believed the Book was called "The Birth of a Company" giving the complete history from the first mine at Trois Riviere and the subsiquent expansion to, what was then, the early 70's.

Regards

#64 ·
good day pensioner.sm.today.05:02.re:canadian pacific.just an inquiry.did you ever hear of the beaverdalle.i was on her in 1946.i don't suppose shes still around.here are her stats from my discharge book,beaverdale.london.o.n.180818.g.t.9901.n.t.9000.hope this is of interest to you and other x.cp.did they ever name another the beaverdalle??I must add they considered her very modern in her day.have a great day.regards ben27

#66 ·
Hi Ben
Sorry these ships were before my time in CP I joined them in 1970. I would assume they were probably what was known as "The Black Beavers" for obvious reasons and were Diesel Electric.

Re Bill Williams I also sailed with him on at least one of the Wood Boats and yes found him to be OK.

Regards

#69 ·
good day pensioner.sm.yesterday.20:37.(66)re:canadian pacific,thank you for your reply.of course I was on the beaverdall way back.but I was interested about c,p,on readind the thread.i say it again,she was a great ship.a blast from the past,happy sailing regards ben27

#71 ·
Hello. The Beavers looked like proper cargo ship. Bit like
Blue Funnel, unmistakable silhouette. Did four months on
The Empress of Canadaand the only thing I missed was
The power of her transmitters. She lasted quite a while.Carnivale
Bought her as their first cruise ship then she went to the Greeks who really
Took care of her and it wasn't until a few years ago she ended up at Gadani
Beach. There's also a pic of the 'white empress' posted by mysrlf.
Take care.

#73 ·
I sailed on the England for a couple of trips in the galley and shall always remember anchoring off in the Mersey overnight to sail at first tide.I wondered why they did so and was informed that the entire crowd would have piled ashore and chances were that there would been a few crew members short on sailing.
Remember those fellers sitting on their cases on the quay waiting
to cover any shortages?

#74 ·
Anyone I Know From My Time With CP Ships Out There?

I was with CP Ships from 1976 to 1980 as 3/E and 2/E.

I sailed in the following order on the W.A. Mather, H.R. MacMillan (when it was arrested in Iraq), W.E. Beatty (with Capt. Bill Williams), CP Voyager, Lord Mount Stephen, CP Trader and then as 2/E on J.V. Clyne, CP Trader, CP Voyager, G.A. Walker and Fort Steele.

I then left the Merchant Navy to work on the rebuilding of the Venice Simplon Orient Express in 1980 and never returned to the sea.

I have great memories of the time I spent with CP Ships.

#78 ·
Canadian Pacific Ships and time served with them

I was with Canadian Pacific from Cadetship upto Chief Engineer, from starting my Cadetship in 1978 and leaving CP in 1993.
Serving on the following vessels:-
Fort Carleton, Fort Calgary, Port Hawkesbury, R A Emerson, Fort Coulonge, W M Neal, Dart Atlantica, Fort Resolution, Fort Frazer, Fort Hamilton, Fort Victoria, Fort Carleton, Fort Dufferin, Fort Providence, Singapore Senator, CanMar Ambassador, American Senator, CanMar Victory (ex Singapore/American Senator, Dart Atlantica).
Was sailing on the CanMar Ambassador in 1993 when the "old CP guys" were replaced with Indian officers when the management of the vessels went from Celtic Pacific to Anglo Eastern Manning Agency.
Some of the old guys went to Anglo Eastern, but I decided to leave and after a couple of other companies did a spell with Denholm on the Ice class "Alcan" bulk carriers and now working for Swire Pacific Offshore firstly as Chief Engineer and now as a docking superintendent.

#81 ·
Austin McCrail master in CP for many years, retired in the 1990s, he crossed the bar possibly 18months ago. I have not read all through the CP messages so his passing may have previously been referred to, if so I apologise for for duplication. I seen him about four months prior to his passing he looked well told me he had a recent medical check and was told he was as fit as a 55yr old.
Therefore I was pretty shocked when I found he had crossed the bar.

#86 ·
Hi Geoff,
Didnt realise how old your orignal entry above was, must have missed it somehow. Justchecked my discharge books see I sailed on lordStrathcona as Purser for one trip only 1972/3 so bit later than you anyway. Not a bad trip I recall, good crowd up top foreign crew Spanish ?
Stuart

#89 ·
I took the first two attached pictures in April 1974 in a Tampa Florida shipyard. I am under the impression that this was a CP ship?

I was 1 A/E on the USNS Pecos TAO-65. I had joined USS Pecos AO-65 in Key West Florida July 12, 1973. While MSC - Military Sea Command -- had been operating the ship, only now the following April was the ship repainted in MSC colors and the MSC decal added to the stack and and a T added ahead of the AO-65 designator.

Anyway all of we officers were kept for the shipyard overhaul -- we lived ashore in a motel -- and we socialized with the crew of this -- CP? -- on board this vessel.

Greg Hayden

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.