Ships Nostalgia banner

M V Wendover (watts watts)

21K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  dave bonner 
#1 ·
Looking for any members of crew signed on Liverpool May 1960 Paid off Genoa April 1961,Happy Days.

#6 ·
That's funny I joined the Wendover in the Huskisson Dock in L'pol in May 63. My first trip. I remember she'd just been all round the world and this was the first time she'd been in the UK for 2 years.
The accommodation was caked with sugar as she'd just come in from Barbados.

#5 ·
Wendover

Hiya fellas, here is a photo of the Wendover stuck in the ice a few hours after leaving Montreal Dec. 1958. I was alongside of her on the Manchester Vanguard. We were there for about a week before the icebreakers got us out. We walked across the ice to swop books.

There were many other ships there as well.

Alec.

Attachments

#9 ·
Wendover

Hi PTK39,I've recently joined SN and picked up this link .I signed on the Wendover April 57,Rotterdam, paid off Falmouth,oct.'57,round the world voyage.Don't remember the Pamir though We did have a Yugoslav stowaway who managed to jump ship in Boston,Mass.and claim political asylum,despite being guarded by Pinkerton men !

#8 ·
Wendover

Hi Howard, I don't know if you will remember me, I joined the Wendover in May 1959 until paying off in Genoa in April 1961. I was ships writer, and remember you and Terry McLaughlin as catering lads. Jimmy Brown was Chief Steward, and Harry Jackson was Chief Cook, Captain Eric Pearce.
I still remember the boys hassling me for subs, they used to call me mr pencils. My brother Peter was deck cadet on Woodford and later Wendover.

Good days,
Regards
Patrick

#14 ·
MV Wendover

Hi Howard, I don't know if you will remember me, I joined the Wendover in May 1959 until paying off in Genoa in April 1961. I was ships writer, and remember you and Terry McLaughlin as catering lads. Jimmy Brown was Chief Steward, and Harry Jackson was Chief Cook, Captain Eric Pearce.
I still remember the boys hassling me for subs, they used to call me mr pencils. My brother Peter was deck cadet on Woodford and later Wendover.

Good days,
Regards
Patrick
Hi Patrick, don't know if you remember me, I sailed with you on the Wendover the same trip as Howard James, I was As/stwd my name is Peter O'Donnell, you conjured up some memories mentioning some of the crew members,hope you & Howard are still visiting this site. All the best Peter. (Wow, so many years ago).

#11 ·
Hi Roseby,seems we were on the same voyage.I joined as SOS on deck.Remember playing football in Rijecka,Yugoslavia on cinder pitch(got beaten by local team)we had a huge red ensign flying from the football club's flagpole ! Sailed up River Plate,loaded bran for Japan;then to Portland,Oregan;back through Panama Canal to Falmouth(dry dock ?)please confirm?

#15 ·
Hi Joe,appologies,I've just come back to this link.How the time has Flown ! REf: Rosario,WE part loaded with bran,then sailed down the river and finished loading in Buenos Aries (beautiful city)Enjoyed the nightlife in Nagoya/Yokahama !!! .Watts Watts one of the best shipping co's around at that time;never knew where you'd end up though! but as a young man it was a big adventure.Played table tennis on board and got beaten by an engineer in the final. some great memories,best wishes Dave Bonner

#13 ·
MV Wendover

Hi Howard, I'm sure I sailed with you on the trip mentioned,my name is
Peter O'Donnell, I was as/stwd other stewards Chris ( wirral) Les (L'pool)
Terry Mac(L'pool) & sec/stwd name escapes me from Hull. Great ship
& fab' trip, all around the Med great lakes Canada, & a great crew all round, hope this finds you as it's some time since you posted your thread.

#16 ·
Peter ODonnell Wendover

Hi Peter
Thanks for your message, I do remember you and Les Holmes and Chris. If I remember correctly the 2nd Std was Jeff Grant. I left Watts Watts after that trip and joined Ellerman Hall Line Liverpool as Writer, and was with them on East Africa Gulf and India routes for the next few years. Good memories of Wendover, very happy ship. Nice to hear from you after all this time No subs today.
Best Wishes
Patrick

#26 ·
Hello Forum. I'm acting on behalf off Anne Flanighan, whose husband, Burt Flanighan served on the MV Wendover in the early 50's. Burt is sadly with us no more, but Anne is interested in any stories or anecdotes from anyone who knew Burt, that could be shared here. If you can help, any information would go a long way to helping Anne understand an important part of Burt's life. Thank you.

#27 ·
WENDOVER
O.N. 183183. 5,664g, 2,745n. 8,526d. 475.10 x 64.4 x 25.1 feet.
5 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (670 x 2,320mm) Doxford 67LB5 type by Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd., Greenock. 5,500 bhp. 14kts.
23.8.1949: Launched by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee (Yard No. 470) for Britain Steamship Co. Ltd., (Watts, Watts & Co., managers) London.
27.1.1950: Registered at London; Vessel No. 19 of 1950.
2.1950: Completed
1964: Renamed WENCHOW for duration of a time-charter to John Swire & Sons Ltd. (China Navigation Co. Ltd.), London.
1968: Sold to the China Navigation Co. Ltd.
1975: Sold to Pacific International Lines, Singapore renamed KOTA SUBUR.
30.10.1978: Arrived at Gadani Beach, Karachi, for demolition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.