Ships Nostalgia banner

Reardon Smith Line (merged threads)

117K views 345 replies 112 participants last post by  Kate Powell 
#1 ·
Wonder if there is anyone around who served with Smith's of Cardiff between 1948 and 1953 ???

#5 ·
Reardon Smith

Jacktar1 said:
Wonder if there is anyone around who served with Smith's of Cardiff between 1948 and 1953 ???
I was on the INDIAN CITY in July 1952.

Hull- New York-Cardiff -Muscat-Bahrein-Basrah-Takamatsu (Japan) - Vancouver-Tacoma - Bombay - Lobito - Avonmouth.
Have photo if needed. New member so I have not had time to post ships yet.
Regards
Jim Stevens

#7 ·
Fresno City

Hi Kag
I think Sir William Reardon Smith had three ships named FRESNO CITY One was a war loss in 1943. the next was in their ownership from 1946-1964
I sailed on this ship in 1963.The last one to bear that name was a Cardiff Class bulker owned 1970 -early '80s
Have a Merry Festive season Regards Lamptrimmer

#9 ·
Indian City

My father (same name as I but not Sandy) sailed as a engineer on the Indian City circa 1925 - 1930 The ship went through a typhoon in the Indian Ocean and was considerably damaged. This vessel is unlikly to be the same one is t??

Regards
Sandy

Jim Stevens said:
I was on the INDIAN CITY in July 1952.

Hull- New York-Cardiff -Muscat-Bahrein-Basrah-Takamatsu (Japan) - Vancouver-Tacoma - Bombay - Lobito - Avonmouth.
Have photo if needed. New member so I have not had time to post ships yet.
Regards
Jim Stevens

#11 ·
dom

Jacktar1 said:
madras city jan.54 west africa tour joined her in leith.capt.cox.:i want one plate, per man ,per day, chipped.he's still waiting.came up to charlie browns and blue post's looking for us,we were in prospect down at wapping

#315 ·
madras city jan.54 west africa tour joined her in leith.capt.cox.:i want one plate, per man ,per day, chipped.he's still waiting.came up to charlie browns and blue post's looking for us,we were in prospect down at wapping
Both gone now to make way for the DLR,I was in Charlie Browns one ngiht with my Dad and he said to me`During the war there used to be anatomical museum behind the bar here you know,drunkards livers,kids two heads,unborn siamese twins,cancerous lungs all in formahaldehyde filled jars.``What was the pub food like?`I asked him`I don`t think they did much then`he answered me straight faced.He never did get a joke

#12 ·
kag said:
Hi

Anyone who have a picture of the vessel Fresno City ?
(my wifes brother David, who lived in Sunderland, sailed on that ship)
Ahoy kag,
Is this the Fresno UR looking for?[1970]

Attachments

#19 ·
Reardon Smith Cardiff

I sailed as AB. on the 'Atlantic City' for nearly 12 months 1957/8. She was probably one of the happiest ships that I had the good fortune to sail on in more than 20 years at sea. I was sent from Cardiff to join the ship in Dublin, most the deck crew were from Dublin, they were a good crowd, very few changes while I was there, even today I can still remember most of their names.
Captain Danny Lloyd was the master for the first couple of voyages, a very happy and sociable man, who was replaced by Captain Passmore who, although he was a fair man, kept himself to himself. The Mate was George Ellerby, a better mate I have yet to work with, a real character.
The Ch. Eng. was a red bearded Australian and the 2nd. was a geordie whose name I think was Jacky Chatten, another character.
The ship was built by Doxfords in 1941 a basic but trim little vessel which still holds happy memories for me.
Cheers Bruce

#20 ·
You were there a wee bit before me, I served my time with them in 69 and spent the early seventies with them. My first captain was George Ellerby ( See my photo of "Sara Lupe" ex Cardiff City) and I sailed with Jacky Chatten (Extra 2nd engineer)on the Indian City for a month or two. Jack was married to a Japanese lady so the "Indian" suited him as she was carrying cars out of Japan to the States and coal back to Japan for what seemed an eternity (especially if you were on her). Jack was also quite badly burnt in a fire on one of the ships ( May have been the later Atlantic City to yours ) and was more or less given a job for life, certainly was a character.
I never met Capts Lloyd and Passmore but certainly remember the names.

#21 ·
Reardon Smiths, Cardiff

Sut mae Cymruman, I was sorry to hear about Jack Chattens' accident, as I said before he was quite a character, I can visualise him now holding court while standing up by the fore end of no. 4 hatch eating his lunch. We went to Yokohama at least once while I was on the ship, I don't remember him having a Japanese wife, but of course that was 50 years ago and memories fade. I am glad George Ellerby got his command, he deserved it, he always reminded me of the actor Jack Hawkins, he was good natured and a very capable officer. Hwyl fawr. Bruce.

#22 ·
Reardon Smith Line

Ahoy,
Maybe we/I can start to make a fleetlist[so everybody can put some photos here],but after the Easter holidays,while I'm too busy for the moment.
Will start with one you've sailed on,not the best shot but nevertheless something,I must dig out some old boxes to find some decent shots[Skyfotos] of that club, as I do have some.
ATLANTIC CITY[3]
Period in fleet:1941-1962
GT:5,133
Built:1941 by William Doxford & Sons Ltd.-Sunderland as ATLANTIC CITY for the Leeds Shipping Co.Ltd.
1962 to Achillet Cia.Nav S.A.-Lebanon renamed ACHILLET
1971[25-02] foundered off Rocky PointSouth Africa in position 19S & 10,19E,after her hull had fractured in heavy weather,during a voyage from Sfax-India.
Courtesy/©WSS Photo Library

Attachments

#26 ·
Have happy memories of Reardon Smiths, joined the Leeds City in 1948 for first trip as apprentice. Followed by the Orient City (Captain Dodman), the Atlantic City (Captain Wilson and Captain Dixon) and the Devon City (Captain Dodman). Retired from seagoing career in 1998, last 14 years served as Master with a Miami based cruise line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.