Ships Nostalgia banner

Chief Stewards good and bad

57K views 161 replies 77 participants last post by  Philip Mitchell 
#1 ·
On Neocardia part of Shell's eastern fleet we of course had a Chinese crew. All ships of the Eastern Fleet did. They were very good with certain exeptions. The Chief steward and second steward we had were as different as chalk and cheese. The former was a fat round individual who crept around everything and everybody, the latter was short thin and a definite communist stirer whom I had logged on a number of occasions for disobedience. The chief steward was always sucking air between his teeth when he spoke, not a very likeable chap. As 2nd mate it was part of my job to oversee the catering. One day he came to my cabin saying 'I want speeky you about 2nd steward.' He proceeded to explain that neither he nor the other stewards or other crew members liked this man. He obviously knew that I didn't either; with that in mind proceeded to tell me in no uncertain terms that should I desire it, he had plenty of friends in Singapore who would be only too pleased to hasten his departure from this earth!!. Many visions passed through my mind at the time. One was having my name plastered over the front of the Straits Times for conspiracy to murder. Any way the chief steward left my cabin a little disillusioned. Food was generally good on Chinese crew ships. The only other crew I sailed with was Spanish; quite a novelty. The food was not too bad either.

#137 ·
In 10 years only had problems with one Jnr.Engineer who on a maiden voyage used to go to his cabin in working gear including boots and wrote his carpet off in 5 months and an ERS who went nuts with drink and kept his p**s in buckets tastefully arranged round his cabin.Apart from those two I found Engineers universally clean!

#138 ·
In 10 years only had problems with one Jnr.Engineer who on a maiden voyage used to go to his cabin in working gear including boots and wrote his carpet off in 5 months
I took over on Barber Priam from a filthy basket - The cabin was disgusting and he even left me some boiler suits, THANKS a LOT!. Luckily, old Motorbike Griffiths had a carpet shampooer onboard. I spent the first week cleaning every inch of my cabin and carpet. We always took our boots off before exiting the ER and had a mat to leave them on outside the bar - We were only allowed to grab a beer out of the fridge, not enter in our boiler suits.

Rgds.
Dave

#142 ·
Blue Star had some shockers in the 70s & 80s when i was with them ,big fat Lottie, the Plummer brothers and a few more that were as bad all gay as it happens (not that that matters,just an observation) But Alfie Plummer was involved in one of the funniest things i ever saw at sea ,the engine room mechanic Claude from Trinidad ,nice guy, rejoined the Southland Star in LA and was unwell turns out he caught mumps from one of his 4 kids when on leave after a few days his nuts were swollen to the size of two black oranges ,an awesome sight !, and as the skin was splitting badly gay old Alfie who was also the medical officer had to come down to his cabin twice a day to bathe the offending globes with a special solution,it was hilarious to see him tripping down the alleyway with his wee tight shorts ,towel over one arm ,bowl of solution in the other hand humming a merry tune ,poor old Claude was mortified and wanted to do it himself but Alfie was having none of that ,this went on for weeks and poor old Claude ended up sterile but after 4 kids he didnt mind ,he was just happy when the batheing ordeal was over

#145 ·
Was Master on a ship with all Indonesian crew when the Chief Steward asked me if I would like to try buffalo steaks.
I said sure so the next day for lunch, buffalo steak was on the menu.
It was delicious and all the non Indonesian officers liked it also.
I told one very happy Chief Steward that it could become a regular on the menu.

#146 ·
Well I was everything in Catering from Bell Boy on Union Castle to Superintendent. Obviously spent a fair while as Chief Steward. Reference the BP posts, you are absolutely correct BP had a horrific name up until early to mid 70s when a new Superintendent was appointed and I can honestly say the menus on BP tankers became as good as any I have ever seen anywhere. Bad Chief Stewards? Sailed with a few. Fell out with a few over many things, settled the differences, moved on. Personally think I was the best ever. :) At least I never heard anyone complain.

#147 ·
good day Gordon turnbull,today,01:58.re:chief stewards good and bad,i have posted on this thread before,but reading the post"s today I read your post(146) in which you say.quote. personally think I was the best ever,i admire your self confidence,after reading some of the post"s it was refreshing to know there are some chief's who care about there self esteem.have a good day.best ever.ben27

#150 ·
Dads opinion of Chief stewards.

Dad was a chief engineer and gave me the impression that the chief steward sold ships provisions for his gain. My dads favourite quip to the chief was"You do a good glass of water" For many years dad stock items were Vestey products, including "lucky boy jam". The crews retort was and Were the lucky boys! Dad bemoaned the fact that on the Amazon they had a British winter diet. Steak and kidney pudding , pies etc. However one skipper kept the steward under a tight reign and the chief steward complained that for the first time ever, as a chief, hed had to draw on his salary. The captain in question was called Sharp and it was a case of "Sharp by name, sharp by nature" What are the current arrangements for catering on both small and large ships. Ive e mailed several companies, but hage received no replies

#151 ·
Dad was a chief engineer and gave me the impression that the chief steward sold ships provisions for his gain. My dads favourite quip to the chief was"You do a good glass of water" For many years dad stock items were Vestey products, including "lucky boy jam". The crews retort was and Were the lucky boys! Dad bemoaned the fact that on the Amazon they had a British winter diet. Steak and kidney pudding , pies etc. However one skipper kept the steward under a tight reign and the chief steward complained that for the first time ever, as a chief, hed had to draw on his salary. The captain in question was called Sharp and it was a case of "Sharp by name, sharp by nature" What are the current arrangements for catering on both small and large ships. Ive e mailed several companies, but hage received no replies
Small ship catering is pretty much as it used to be, Old Man gets an allowance per man per day and the Cook goes up the road to purchase. Chandlers are rarely used (unless they want bond). Favourites in UK are Lidl and Iceland and the large supermarkets. Many coasting skippers have long standing connections with butchers and fishmongers in various UK ports. Don't hear any grumbles about the grub. The Cook usually doubles up as an AB and there are generally no stewards.

regards
Dave

#153 ·
Good Chief Steward/Bad Chief Steward

Was on a Tanker where the beer allowance for Crew was
Four cans per man per day. The Good Chief Stwd gave us
Full case of beer if we wanted as long as we did not make a
mess of things. Later during the trip he got relieved as he had
done his three months as per Company Policy.
It was only after his Relief took over that we found out that The
Good Chief Stwd had in fact been a Bad Chief Stwd as he had put 1penny on the price of a can. We never did see or hear of him
again. (Cloud)[=P]

#155 ·
Today I received the Indefatigables old boys magazine and was sad to see that Alf Eadey who was a chief steward I think in Harrisons crossed the bar last April.I never sailed with Alf but when we bought the Kiwi class launch around from Plymouth to Liverpool to be the new Inde in the Albert Dock,Alf was doing the catering on the journey we put into Milford Haven restocked up on a few meals Alf bought a chicken and nothing was wasted he made one of the best soups out of the carcass I have ever tasted,I reckon if the big feller up there needs to have a dish to accompany the loaves and fishes Alf will show him another miracle with whats left of a chicken.P.S Alf was a founder member of the Indes old boys association.If anyone out there sailed with Alf spare a minute to remember him and all our other seafaring brethren.

#159 ·
I can honestly say that in all my time at sea I have never sailed with a 'bad' Chief Steward.
I have however sailed with some outstanding ones, particularly in John Manners with Indonesian or Chinese crews.
Some wonderful, exotic and tasty dishes.

As the Chief Steward was paid for the number of persons he had to feed it was up to him to keep everyone happy and if he made a profit it was all above board.

Only once did a Chief Steward come a cropper.
We were in Japan and he thought he had found an absolute bargain with the bacon he purchased.
It was a Japanese fishing village and the pigs were fed on fish offal. Of course the bacon tasted very, very strongly of fish.
He probably ground it up and used it elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.