Ships Nostalgia banner

John Taylor Bennet (john Lawton)

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  toggy23 
#1 ·
I wonder if anyone can help me? I am researching the Flower Class Corvette, HMS DIANELLA,K07...She was 'adopted by Llangollen in december 1941 and survived the war, having been part of the infamous PQ17 convoy to Russia...Her long time Commanding Officer was 'Lieutenant John Frank Tognola RNR'...Can ayone give me any details of this mans life, family and career both pre 1943 and Post war...I do know that he received the MBE which was 'gazetted' 11 december 1945?.....yours aye.....John

#3 ·
Thanks Jim...I already have the mag and pics...It is the C/O in whom I am interested, Being RNR he must have 'come into the RN' from Mercantile, One of the ex crew members from 'Dianella' thinks he MAY have been in Trawlers out of Hull or Grimsby, but I cannot find his name on registers....Incidentally, whilst 'Dianella' was waiting in Archangel to bring a convoy back to UK, The crew 'adopted' a Russian boy and even tried to 'officially adopt him to bring him back, but met with strong resistance from the Russian Authorities....John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.