Ships Nostalgia banner

Liverpool Watering Holes

87K views 326 replies 94 participants last post by  Littlemaevey 
#1 ·
thought I might just list a few favourites before they all disappear - most probably gone already
Aigberth Arms obviously, Crocodile (Who was the barmaid in the mid sixties who ready looked after Blue Flue middy's when they were poorly? I remember in 64 being somewhat under the weather from the night before and being given a glass of Ferny Branko (Spelling?) but not to smell it - did the trick for about 3 hours then relapsed again), The Flying Angel (3/6d for 3 course lunch 3d extra for a cup of tea), 41 club upper parliament street (run by Hughie Fish), Blue Angel (some great music), 7 Steps at Toxteth (run by Angela and Mum, who made sure you got back to your ship safely with wallet intact)
any more?

#71 ·
A pub I've passed hundreds of times but never been in. Not exactly Liverpool but close enough . The Bee and The Stump on the Wallasey side of the Dock Road. Many a man on standby ended up in these pubs due to their close proximity to the locks. And the Dolphin (Cathcart Street). Almost fifty years since I have been in above.

#72 ·
Seem to remember a pub called Tom Halls on Mann Island. It was on a central reservation more or less beneath the overhead railway. Dark green ceraminic tiles on the outside. Supposedly the best pint of Guinness in Liverpool. This maybe because it was within stones throw of where the 'Lady Gwendolyn' discharged

#73 ·
Bill Davies mentioned the Stump in Wallasey, this was actually the Blazing Stump ( a nickname) the actual name was something more prosaic like the Queens Arms or some such name.
After I left the sea I had a pub, the Lord Exmouth, in Birkenhead.
At this time the landlord of the Blazing Stump was an ex Chief Steward (Stan something) and I used to relieve him when he went on holiday.
It was a great pub, always busy what with dockers, merchant seamen and locals because of the betting shop close by.
Had some great times there, especially after hours in the afternoons.
Peter (Pat) Baker.

#84 ·
Paid off and signed straight back on the Salvina in Liverpool. Saturday all the Shelties were in the Dominion and Peter Sinclair the 2nd mate was plotting a course to Houston on one of the lounge tables which were formica topped with a map of the world using two *** packets as a slide rule. One of the Irish boats crowd were also in and when we went up on Sunday for a livener there was no Double Diamond or Scotch left! Happy days. (Pint) (Thumb)

#87 ·
`The Devils `

Saw the old post re the Devils aka The Coburg .The former name for the Coburg was `The Devils away with the Exciseman `hence the shortened version,from the Robert Burns poem.I frequented this pub whilst on Mobile Rummage at Coburg .We had to climb over the wire fence to get to it or walk the long way round . We all drank `Brown Mixed `on Rummage then ,does anyone ever drink that now? It hasn`t changed much inside from the early 80`s.

#88 ·
Saw the old post re the Devils aka The Coburg .The former name for the Coburg was `The Devils away with the Exciseman `hence the shortened version,from the Robert Burns poem.I frequented this pub whilst on Mobile Rummage at Coburg .We had to climb over the wire fence to get to it or walk the long way round . We all drank `Brown Mixed `on Rummage then ,does anyone ever drink that now? It hasn`t changed much inside from the early 80`s.
Walked up to it yesterday with the intention of going in, but noticed that there were no real ale, so continued on up to the Cain's Tap.

#91 · (Edited)
MV Kypros & MV Assiout

I remember the Seven steps from the good days. Late sixties early seventies.
Handy for the Moss Hutchinson lads being close to the Brunswick Dock.
I was in the Kypros and Assiout then.
I remember also a good proportion of our cargo being sold by the dockers in there.
The building still stands with the steps but it's no longer a pub, now some sort of offices i think.
Regards to all
John Glover (Smoke) (Smoke) (Smoke) (Smoke)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.