Ships Nostalgia banner

Everards - Yellow Perils (Merged Threads)

71K views 208 replies 104 participants last post by  Geoff DC 
#1 ·
Any of you young boys out there got your story's of the yellow perils.
Does anyone know why that colour was chosen - the real story that is.
My version is that Gillian was asked to choose a colour and that was how it happened - surely that cant be the answer?

Can we have an "Everards" section in the shipping line section.
Come on boys lets hear what your thoughts are.

#2 ·
Nairda59 said:
Any of you young boys out there got your story's of the yellow perils.
Does anyone know why that colour was chosen - the real story that is.
My version is that Gillian was asked to choose a colour and that was how it happened - surely that cant be the answer?

Can we have an "Everards" section in the shipping line section.
Come on boys lets hear what your thoughts are.
If we had an Everards section, no one would believe us. But seriously, there must be a whole bunch of us out there.
Bob

#3 ·
never sailed on everards or fredies as they where known but they where considered as tongue in cheak,,, for some reason? stories used to be they took anyone ready to sail regardless, sure it wasnt so but always seamed to be sniggered at by deepsea men,,Deck. (Thumb)

#5 ·
Yellow Perils

Anyone else sail on any of Freddy's Yellow Perils?

I was on the MV Speciality in 1966.

Skipper used to stop half wayacross the Irish Sea while everyone fished for mackerel, but there was never a cut in how much was deducted for grub!!

Broke my ribs falling into Cork harbour(Smoke) and was paid off in Goole (now there was a well named port!) :eek:

#7 ·
Broke my ribs falling into Cork harbour and was paid off in Goole (now there was a well named port!)
Ahoy Bridie,

Too much of the Irish Stout?(Pint) (Pint) (Pint)

Goole was a good place to be!!!!!

#6 ·
I sailed on the Mairi Everard, Ethel Everard and the Authenticity all around 1982/3. Had a great time and saw some interesting places including Goole !!.
The capt on the Mairi was called Bilton and the Ethels captain was called Hare. The Ethel was an old ship and having paid off the Mairi and joined the Ethel in Rotterdam I was taken aback by no self stowing anchor cable and the accomodation block was painted a sickly green colour. I think the shipping office was run by a guy called Keith Fennings and its true to say he could always find you a ship.

#8 ·
Yellow Perils

Yep, certainly did. Assurity and a long spell on the Penelope with that well known skipper "Jimmy Jewsbury". Also did time as Ch.Off. on the ex.Glen Line "Winga" just prior to her voyage to some scrap beach in India. Her skipper was an old Glen man and strange to boot - Capt.McNabb.

#61 ·
Yep, certainly did. Assurity and a long spell on the Penelope with that well known skipper "Jimmy Jewsbury". Also did time as Ch.Off. on the ex.Glen Line "Winga" just prior to her voyage to some scrap beach in India. Her skipper was an old Glen man and strange to boot - Capt.McNabb.
Duquesa
Whatever happened to Jim Jewsbury. Last time I heard of him he was Master of 'Rocknes' and or 'Ringnes' in the early nineties.
Hague

#14 ·
Ken Herridge was the personnel manager for many years with Fred's.
In my time with the company I sailed on Gillian Everard - mainly bulk and cement clinker, Supremity, Fred Everard and Sagacity - general cargo on the Dublin Belfast Gothenburg run, and trips down the mediterranean on Penelope Everard, Sagacity and Serenity. Also, Selectivity (yellow peril), Security and (briefly) Fixity. All dry cargo.
Good company. Good experience.

#15 ·
Never had the opportunity to sail on those luxury Yellow Perils, my time with Everards was on the Aquity and the Amity. Shippers were Les Bowler and Alfie Fisher. A Mr. Kimber was the personnel manager, worked out of a cave with a sliding hatch at the Greenhythe office. Great times, I learned a lot, would do it again.

#16 ·
Was in the rosemary and the penelope 75 and 76 thinking back great little jobs.Dun them in the summer.Both times good crowd.The 5 pound sub on the buoys greenhithe for the wkend ashore friday 5pm train sth woolwich thru the tunnel to the pavilion nrth woolwich great nites there.ave a look in the kent back aboad next morn all 4 a fiver. majic days.

#35 ·
I sailed on Penelope as EDH March to May 76, signed on in Hull, paid off in Newcastle, after a trip to Mala etc. Joined Rosemary in Dec 76 in Hull to the Med again and paid off in Liverpool Feb 77. Both good little ships but definitely showing their age. Good little ships all the same. Unfortunately can't recall names of any shipmates. Colgrace

#18 · (Edited)
Yellow Perils

I sailed on five Yellow Perils in the 1950s and early 60s and I could fill a book with my experiences and the characters that I had the good fortune to sail with on those vessels.
I sailed on the Seniority twice, first with Capt.Trethewy and later with Capts.Kemp and Conn. I remember well on a winter voyage from Norway to the UK loaded with pulp, pulling a piston in a severe storm in the North Sea, all available hands were helping out in the E.R. a very hazardous operation.
In the winter of 1961/62 I sailed on the Selectivity on John Kelly's charter, coal from Blyth to Belfast. Tommy Rocket was master, having respite in the Import Dock in Blyth and a wild night ashore in the Holy City, made up for all those rough winter passages North about.
I sailed on the Similarity three times in a period of six years, with Capt. Bill Jarvis, he was a good seaman and always ran a tight ship, he had very few crew changes, despite being a hard taskmaster. Our favourite run was the British Rail charter, coal from Goole to Kingswear.
The Superiority was my last Yellow Peril, mostly employed on the North East Coast to the Thames collier trade, Harold Wadhams was Master. Harold and his brother Bert,[red lead Bert] were two of the greatest characters I have had the good fortune to sail with. Harold was a good coastal master, always willing to give good advice in difficult situations.
As I said before, I could rabbit on about Yellow Perils and other vessels of the fleet all day, perhaps I should give someone else a chance.
Cheers
Bruce.

#19 ·
Hi ed, Good to hear from someone who sailed with Paddy. He came from a long line of Drogheda pilots and served all his time at sea with Everards. Left and was a pilot with his brothers and cousin at Drogheda in the late 70s, until he got the job of harbour-master at Dundalk. He served here 'till retirement some years ago, but sadly passed away after only a few years of retirement in his beloved cottage at Mornington, Drogheda. He took great delight in meeting old shipmates from his Everard days. Yes, he was a strange man to understand in many ways but really a good and kind man to work with. His habit of grabbing those he was explaining things to by the shoulder and repeating it and (unintentionally) at the same time spraying the person, took a lot of getting used to !!! He had many great yarns to tell of his days with the fleet.

#20 ·
sorry to hear about his passing. you are right his yarns were good. we had a rotten cook and every one would complain. Paddy got fed up with the moaning and declared that the next to complain would have to cook for a week. this settled the complaining down down for about 5 or 6 days. one night at dinner the 1st mate an old guy from one of the islands in Scotland turned round and said "this tastes like sh*t" Paddy looked at him and was just about to say OK your the cook, when the mate piped up "but its well cooked" the cook was gone the next week.
Ed Glover

#24 ·
Any of you Everards men remember a Capt Peacock, came from Palm Boats to finish off his days. His son is trying to find anyone who sailed with him or remembers anything about him. (no jokes about "are you being served" either)
apparently Cpt Peacock left a wife and 2 kids in Glasgow and lived with a young lady in Grimsby - well - its one of the lads in Glasgow that is trying to find out more about the man.
Any of you sailed with my uncle Donald Stewart did mostly timber runs to Norway if i remember rightly.

#25 ·
Hi Tonyc3
Yes the small ships did get into some small ports.I remember anchoring off Mouse Hole in 1966. Force 8 blowing up in the Channel. I always wanted to see it other than on a chart.Went there in 2002 with the wife. now I only have 99 more things to do before I die.
Ed Glover

#104 ·
Between about 1948 and 1951 we used to have our annual holiday in Charlestown, Cornwall. That was a small harbour, so small that the ships had to be warped round through a 90 degree turn to get them into the dock. I don't know what tonnage they were, but they were three islanders, and two names stick in my memory - one was Assiduity, and the other was Alacrity.

#27 ·
Yellow Perils

I remember going aboard the Sonority in the summer of 1952 at Par Harbour where she was loading china clay. She was brand new & the Mate Invited my dad & I aboard to have a look round. I was 11 at the time but it gave me my first taste of life aboard. I'm sure you can't even get into Par Harbour without a security pass these days, never mind go aboard a vessel tied up alongside.
The Sonority lasted till she was a ripe old age, not being scrapped unrill 1986.
Regards,
John F.

#28 ·
I joined Everards through the back door. I was with Onisimus Dorey(any one remember them Rocquaine,Perelle and Belgrave) when Everards took over managment. I sailed on the Summity,Sagacity,Audacity,Authenticity the Northridge and the Mari Everard . I am trying to get pictures of all the ships I sailed on and the Northridge,Mari Everard and Summity,from my Everard days are proving elusive,any members out there who can help find them I would be very greatfull.

#68 ·
I joined Everards through the back door. I was with Onisimus Dorey(any one remember them Rocquaine,Perelle and Belgrave) when Everards took over managment. I sailed on the Summity,Sagacity,Audacity,Authenticity the Northridge and the Mari Everard . I am trying to get pictures of all the ships I sailed on and the Northridge,Mari Everard and Summity,from my Everard days are proving elusive,any members out there who can help find them I would be very greatfull.
Is this the one you want?
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Captkenn29/Summity-02.jpg

#29 ·
I was on the Alf Everard in 1951. Mr Kimber gave me the job The skipper was Arthur Hadlow, one of the greatest skippers on the coast. We catered for ourselves and did our own cooking all on 7 quid a month. Great days and would do it all again. I know she ran into one of the forts in the Thames estuary around '53-4 can anyone tell me anymore about this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.