Ships Nostalgia banner

Capt Peter Bishop

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  roxanne2467 
#1 ·
Are there any P & O men out there who knew, or knows the whereabouts of Peter Bishop, Trident Master. Last I heard he was a Jebel Dhanna Pilot in the 80s/90s.
Brgds
Hague

#4 ·
He was definately over 6 ft. I was first trip deck boy (peggy) so wasnt on first name terms. I can remember when he issued me my steering certificate saying this would be the first on my way to a masters certificate. He was either perceptive or a good guesser. We did 6 months on the gulf run via cape and never once heard a bad word said about him, by any of the crew.

#5 ·
There was a Bishop, Master in Trident Tankers, who I am pretty sure was a Cadet from H.M.S."Worcester". West Countryman, great rugby player, built like a brick outhouse. I heard he got crook on the ship off the S.American coast and was landed in a pretty grim state. Never heard anything after this, so hope he recovered.

#12 ·
Worcester

Hi,
Small world. I see that you are ex Worcester, I too was on the Worcester 62-65 and went to Perth with my parents to live in 67. Barnsey on this group was also on the Worcester only he is a lot older !! and lives in NZ. We both are members of The Old Worcester's Internet group on Yahoo if you are interested.
Cheers
Colin Thurlow

#8 ·
Peter was indeed a nice bloke and a source of amusement to the crew with his ultra baritone voice. Being the only 'round eye' on board the majority of the ULCCs I commanded in the 80s/90s he was good company for the 24 hours visits to Jebel Dhanna. I suspect he was real P&O vintage.
Brgds
Hague

#10 ·
Capt. Peter Bishop

I sailed with capt. Bishop (affectionately known as The Bish) on the Trident tanker Eridge in 1971/2. we were due at Quebec an he told me organise a party on board for the ships agents, customs, emigration, port authorities - and tell them all to bring their wives! At the time he lived in Wiveliscombe in Somerset. Brilliant captain - many good memories. Regards John Rice ex r/o.

#11 ·
I sailed with capt. Bishop (affectionately known as The Bish) on the Trident tanker Eridge in 1971/2. we were due at Quebec an he told me organise a party on board for the ships agents, customs, emigration, port authorities - and tell them all to bring their wives! At the time he lived in Wiveliscombe in Somerset. Brilliant captain - many good memories. Regards John Rice ex r/o.
Quite agree. Peter was a real character. Got to know him quite well when he was a Pilot in Jebel Dhanna in the early 80s. He used to have the Japanese crew quite mesmerized with his 'booming' voice and eccentric mannerisms.

#13 · (Edited)
Pete Bish

I sailed with a Peter Bishop - really tall, booming voice. He did say his real name was Peter Langston-Bishop but he couldn't be bothered to have such a long name embroidered on his kit he reduced it to Bishop. He loved his gin and tonic. I did stores inspection with him and the chief steward and (horrors) only one case of tonic. Chief Steward said it was enough for the gin (even more horrors). He made some excuse to have to divert to Singapore, and whilst there quite a few cases of gin and tonic materialised. Well it was a long trip back to Rotterdam - ha ha
I have a photo somewhere - I'll scan and post it
(==D)

#14 ·
Gambira,
You are correct the double barrel name was a closely guarded secret. Last time I heard Peter was doing pilotage work in Bridgewater, Somerset. He used to live in Wiveliscombe. Look forward to the photograph. My Japanese crew were used to try and imitate Peter's 'booming' voice after visiting Jebel Dhanna (where Peter was a Pilot)

#15 ·
Yes he charmed everyone. We were in Japan when some inspectors came on to test the water. There was a lot of iron in it (well we were carrying iron ore) and the inspector commented "Captain - there is a lot of iron in your water"; Pete replied "That's why we are so big and healthy". The little Japanese looked up at him and said no more - they sort of aspired to be as big as him! - hilarious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.