Ships Nostalgia banner

Tormentor and sister

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Don Matheson 
#1 ·
I understood that 2 replacements were being built in Abu Dhabi but to date there is no sign.

#5 ·
Don

I'm not sure that Serco even knew what they were supposed to be, which is probably why they are no longer being built or accepted by Serco.

They were meant to be replacements for the ex RMAS (Royal Maritime Auxillary Service) Vessels, Tormentor and Tornado, now operated by Serco.

Tormentor and Tornado were originally built and used for torpedo recovery tasks for the Navy and in later years were fitted with removable mine rails for deploying and recovering exercise mines.

They were also latterly used as diving platform vessels for the Navy, but have been pretty much superceeded in this job by the Moorhen and Moorfowl, ex powered mooring lighters, which have had the 'buoy recovery horns' removed.

Incidentally, when the Moorhen and Fowl were converted to diving tenders, no overnight accomodation was put onboard. The idea being to use locally employed crews on less money, I think.
All well and good if they can get them and the vessels don't go away anywhere.

Not sure what their hotel bills will be over the course of their 15 year contract, but obviously the bean counters have worked it out to be cheaper than having sleeping quarters onboard!

Hope the above helps a bit Don, in short, the replacements would have been multi purpose type vessels, I think.

Their probably still sitting on a beach out the UAE, should you wish to buy one :D

#6 ·
Joe I think I will have to decline your wonderful offer, unless we can strike a small deal???
Thanks for all the information on on the Tormentor. Dont think I ever knew these ships existed.
Am amazed about the ships with no overnight accomodation on them, dont think its a very good way to save money. Would be good if the ships could get everywhere inside 12 hours but you and I know that is unlikely. Perhaps they tieup everyevening and the boys wander ashore for a sleep.
The mind (or lack of one) of these people is beyond comprehension.

Thanks Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.