Ships Nostalgia banner

Cook for the RFA

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  OLD STRAWBERRY 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I want to train to be a chef and also do some thing worth while with my life and secure some savings for my boys. Combine this with wanting to see the world i have decided to start my Application for the RFA as a cooking asst. Do you think i am mad? (==D)

#2 ·
Why would We Wayne. You wan't be a Chef then do it!. I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities for a Chef in the RFA as anywhere else. But I had better mention that You would be envolved in many other tasks besides catering. For example- Firefighting- Gunnery-Damage Control-First Aid etc. But Wayne as long as You can cook Mince You'll be laughing, no only kidding!. I'm sure they would welcome You. Do it.

#3 ·
LOL Thanks for that my friend. I don't mind doing all other tasks that will be involved. In fact i think i will really enjoy it. Am a bit worried about my age (38) and the fact that i am not the fittest bloke in the world so i don't know if they will employ me. Lets just hope.

#9 · (Edited)
Hi Kev, there is only one way to find out Mate, if You already have the qualifications and get an ENG 1. As regards dry ships? I wouldn't know but I doubt it. They weren't up until 2002 anyway. There may well be some rules on smoking though?. I peeked at your profile you have the Qualifications OK but as I mentioned to Wayne there is the other side of the coin as regards th Firefighting-Damage control- Gunnery- Flight deck Party and First Aid. From memory the Galley Staff where usually envolved in First Aid But during Action Stations Some Galley Staff where in the Galley knocking out Action Messing usually stews and that kind of thing. You know what they say Kev there's "life in the dog old yet".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.