Ships Nostalgia banner

cook book

21K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  morky1 
#1 ·
hi every body,in the late 60s i took my 2nd cook and bakers ticket i also had to buy a cook book to do the course.it has been so long now that i have lost my book but would like to get another. but, cant even remember the name of it.if anyone can remember it it would be most appreciated..thank you

#40 ·
You're right of course Kevjacko, no ship was perfect, and every ship had it's galley basher, whether it was because they expected more or they were just troublemakers I don't know, but I do know I had more than one confrontation ashore because they couldn't keep their mouth shut, however generally the crews were real men and could solve their problems without using their fists. I will however relate a story which I have told many times to illustrate the point you made and it started out on the when I was working by on the Ocean Transport prior to sailing on her. A third engineer came to the galley door with a slightly rusted and otherwisw filthy empty beans tin, he said "cookie can you put some soup in this for me" I said "hang on and I'll find you a pint mug" He said "no don't bother this'll do I'm not that fussy" so I filled his rusty and oily filthy tin . gave him some fresh bread which he broke with his oily hands and walked away happy as a pig in sh##t. When we sailed and were about a week out the officers steward came into the galley swearing and cursing about an officer who wanted him to completely change the tablecloth and reset all the cutlery which was set for eight persons, when I asked why, he said "because I spilled a tiny drop of tomato soup on the cloth", I went to the servery hatch to see who it was and lo and behold it was the same third engineer who came to the galley with the rusty tin.
The finale to this story is one that maybe I shouldn't repeat as it goes against my professional standards, but I couldn't help thinking of the justice of it, three days later I put Mulligatawny soup on the menu, and our third engineer had two bowls of it, what he didn't know was the soup contained plate powder, tasteless in the soup but it kept him on the toilet for two days, the steward was an old hand and he was not to be messed with. The chief Steward thought he had a stomach bug and confined him to his cabin and fed him only on Broths.

Vic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.